DeAndre vs. Harvard? | The Boneyard

DeAndre vs. Harvard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
I haven't watched the game yet but that box score looks really nice for DeAndre. 9-12 from the field, 4-4 from the line.

Haven't seen a thread on here, but seems like a nice bounce back game for the kid.

Was it a pretty quiet 23? How did he look?

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
It wasn't quiet. He was all over the place - nice drives, good rebounding and some better than expected three point shooting. He showed some ball skills like he did at the start of the MSU game and I hope he builds on it. If so, one part of the seasons questions have been answered.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
For the record - Giffey had a great first half - also all over the place, particularly on D and boxing out. Several guys owe some thanks to NG for boxing out guys where they were able to get easy boards. He had some lapses in the second half, but overall a really solid game and the beneficiary of some awesome passes from Napier.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Since the beginning of the season ive thought if dd can just get confident and quicker he can be a matchup nightmare

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
It wasn't quiet. He was all over the place - nice drives, good rebounding and some better than expected three point shooting. He showed some ball skills like he did at the start of the MSU game and I hope he builds on it. If so, one part of the seasons questions have been answered.

Thanks. Interesting to hear, seems like he's been really down lately so hopefully this is something to build on. Perhaps his back really was a big issue last game.

For the record - Giffey had a great first half - also all over the place, particularly on D and boxing out. Several guys owe some thanks to NG for boxing out guys where they were able to get easy boards. He had some lapses in the second half, but overall a really solid game and the beneficiary of some awesome passes from Napier.

If there's anyone who's been a silent contributor it's been Giffey. A lot of the things we've seen him do well this year won't show up in the box score, but he's definitely been one of the most consistent performers. One of these games it's going to pay larger dividends for him.

Since the beginning of the season ive thought if dd can just get confident and quicker he can be a matchup nightmare

To me this has been his biggest crux. He sort of skulks around the floor ... by that I mean he runs around without really picking his feet or back up much. He just doesn't look like speed is something that's natural for him. At this point I think he needs confidence and size, and the ability to use his length to his advantage.

Reaction Score
Short, quick moves to the basket made a huge difference. He was great. This game will hopefully do wonders for his confidence.

Reaction Score
i'll be the debbie downer here and say this game was fool's gold. i don't see him playing this well against more athletic competition, although i wouldn't mind if he proves me wrong.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
i'll be the debbie downer here and say this game was fool's gold. i don't see him playing this well against more athletic competition, although i wouldn't mind if he proves me wrong.
He was a match up problem for Harvard which KO and the team exploited. I give credit to SN and RB for recognizing this and trying to get DD as many touches as possible.

In this game DD made a couple of shots that were blocked or stripped against better bigs, so your assessment bears merit. My hope is that DD is still developing and getting comfortable in game situations. He can turn out to be like JL or like Jamal Coombs-McDaniel. No one can say for certain at this time.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score

I thought Harvard was very athletic. No, they didn't jump out of the gym but they were running so much during their 34 second half court sets I was winded. I thought DD had a very LOUD 23 points. I will say, tho, it did not look like he was enjoying himself. Had to be the cranky back.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
tumblr_l66zqlYuhL1qcrmbz.png

UConn runs on Deandre;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics