Deandre Daniels vs. Iowa State | The Boneyard

Deandre Daniels vs. Iowa State

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
UConn vs. Iowa State Sweet 16 '14

There are many heroic moments in our '14 tournament run. Brima's +1. Napier's bombs against Nova. Phil Nolan's fast break dunk against MSU :D. But the single most dominant performance of the tourney is Daniels against Iowa State. At one point you can lip read Bazz telling him he's a beast and a Fak'ing Animal.

Turn around fadeaways. Cross over fingerolls. Crash follows. Off ball cuts to the basket on dribble drives.

Salute to Mr. Daniels. Watch this game to put you in a good mood for your weekend.

P.S. This Iowa State team with Niang probably beats us and wins it all IMO.

Reaction Score
That was a stressful game. DD going back and forth with the ISU kid...felt like whichever had the ball in their hands last was gonna win

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
What did that dope call it? An "in-law 26"? Yeah, Gottleib. I remember the rest of the panel not even wanting to engage with something so stupid.

Reaction Score
Re-watched it, thanks. This game really wasn't as close as the score. The good guys controlled it the entire way and only the prevent defense in the last few minutes made it somewhat interesting. In addition to Daniels, freshman TSam gave some real useful minutes.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Re-watched it, thanks. This game really wasn't as close as the score. The good guys controlled it the entire way and only the prevent defense in the last few minutes made it somewhat interesting. In addition to Daniels, freshman TSam gave some real useful minutes.

That's how I remember it - it was one of those weird games that could have sneakily went bad, but it was probably the only game all tournament where I felt in control and like we wouldn't lose.

So great going back and watching that run - I think I will do just that.

Reaction Score

The last 3 minutes of this video never fail to get me going ... the last few possessions I STILL feel some butterflies of nerves then excitement. Unreal finish. Shout out @tcf15

The opening of that video is difficult to watch back. If his relationship with UConn isn’t salvageable, I hope his relationship w/ JC is. Jc seemed honest, authentic and full of respect for KO

Reaction Score
The careers of both coaches went down unexpected and not positive paths a few years later.

Reaction Score
I look at DD and I believe KO and his staff truly got the most out of his potential. As great as DD was in bringing us a championship, he had some many glaring holes in his games yet played to his strengths and that focus led to big play after big play.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
KO saying at the half that they strive for 15 assists per game. Man, what happened to that?

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
I will NEVER forget Brimah's rebound, put-back, and free throw in round 1 vs. St.Joe's. Epic. Start at 1:28:00 mark. I remember as I watched it, saying to myself, "if he makes this FT, we will win this game, and he will go down in UConn lore for that one point." In that moment, I could never have imagined what would happen a few weeks later. Banner #4.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I will NEVER forget Brimah's rebound, put-back, and free throw in round 1 vs. St.Joe's. Epic. Start at 1:28:00 mark. I remember as I watched it, saying to myself, "if he makes this FT, we will win this game, and he will go down in UConn lore for that one point." In that moment, I could never have imagined what would happen a few weeks later. Banner #4.

I truly felt it was over when Kanacevic fouled out about a minute into OT.

Reaction Score
I was really wishing Daniels would have stayed for his senior year. He was the missing link for that 14-15 team. Imagine Daniels and Hamilton playing together for a year. It would have helped Hamilton adjust smoother. I think that could have been a Elite 8 team. The way Daniels played in the tournament carrying over to the next year would have been deadly.

Reaction Score
I was really wishing Daniels would have stayed for his senior year. He was the missing link for that 14-15 team. Imagine Daniels and Hamilton playing together for a year. It would have helped Hamilton adjust smoother. I think that could have been a Elite 8 team. The way Daniels played in the tournament carrying over to the next year would have been deadly.
If Daniels comes back for his senior year, 14-15 would have been an absolutely awesome team. Flip side we'd probably still have Ollie

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
I agree. The problem was, he played himself into the draft with that tourney performance.

Reaction Score

There are many heroic moments in our '14 tournament run. Brima's +1. Napier's bombs against Nova. Phil Nolan's fast break dunk against MSU :D. But the single most dominant performance of the tourney is Daniels against Iowa State. At one point you can lip read Bazz telling him he's a beast and a Fak'ing Animal.

Turn around fadeaways. Cross over fingerolls. Crash follows. Off ball cuts to the basket on dribble drives.

Salute to Mr. Daniels. Watch this game to put you in a good mood for your weekend.

Sometimes these videos should come with a warning. Its Saturday morning, beautiful outside and I'm spending it watching a 90 minute video of an old game.

These videos are like a drug for this UConn addict, and full game vids cause overdose. For those who say 'just don't watch it', you don't understand addiction.

Just saying DD highlights only, I can handle, but a complete game of our Championship team(s) is the ultimate temptation, that I always succumb to.

Anyway and unfortunately for DD he read this game as his NBA readiness statement.

Last edited:

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Sometimes these videos should come with a warning. Its Saturday morning, beautiful outside and I'm spending it watching a 90 minute video of an old game.

These videos are like a drug for this UConn addict, and full game vids cause overdose. For those who say 'just don't watch it', you don't understand addiction.

Just saying DD highlights only, I can handle, but a complete game of our Championship team(s) is the ultimate temptation, that I always succumb to.

Anyway and unfortunately this game was DD's NBA readiness statement.

Beautifully written by a true addict.

I’m a bit of the opposite, I like a good compilation video. I can watch the same ones over and over, and add in some well placed music and I’m in my glory, reliving every moment.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
If Daniels comes back for his senior year, 14-15 would have been an absolutely awesome team. Flip side we'd probably still have Ollie

Alternate realities are fun to play around with. If Daniels comes back and we have a good year, who knows how that impacts recruiting, Ollie and his focus, etc.

Small things can be a huge domino - fun to think about but I’m also very happy with where we are now as a program.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
His tournament was as good as anyone has played sans-Kemba in 11

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

You win a title only when enough of your key players are all playing to their potential at the same time.

During that run, DeAndre was everything we hoped he'd be when we stole him from under KU's nose.

Reaction Score
That was a stressful game. DD going back and forth with the ISU kid...felt like whichever had the ball in their hands last was gonna win

That is an interesting point. Looking back without doing any research or looking up boxscores I recall just dominating Nova, Iowa St, Michigan St, Florida, and Kentucky. However, some of these games were very very close.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom