DDaddy's game review - Tough night in Palo Alto | The Boneyard

DDaddy's game review - Tough night in Palo Alto

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
thanks for the link Pap.
This is a great write-up: frank, honest, acknowledging Stanford's effort and where UConn needs to and will improve.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Way to put it all in perspective, DD.

Reaction Score
Well said. Better now to learn from and develop than later in the year against SC. This makes the year interesting to say the least.

HGN

Reaction Score
Pap , thanks for the post.................Great review DD.

Reaction Score
DD - First of all thanks for the write up. Mostly spot on. I did not realize how good Hartley was defensively until we played WITH OUT her last night.

One thing not mentioned in your write up is that it was painfully obvious that UCONN is not used to playing in close games. KML couldn't get the in bounds pass done. Geno had burned his TO while Stanford still had theirs. And the play at the end of the game with 2.6 seconds left !!! Enough said about that.

I suspect we will see a few more close games - ND, USC, etc. And I'd guess the coaches will pay a LOT more attention to end of game situations that we'll likely encounter. The good news is we were exposed now and the coaches have time to address.

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score
Better to lose a game early in the season and learn from it rather than lose late in the season and end up going home early from a loss in the NCAAs. There are still 38 games ahead of us...

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
wow - no newlinks, and no other news posted. hmmmmmmm

Gonna watch the game again. It's not like I enjoy pain, it is just that I think I will get more perspective now that the outcome is known and the emotion is out of the equation.

Reaction Score
If he is going to use a seven rotation for big games (which is understandable), then he needs to give either Morgan Tuck or Kia Nurse (or both) some time at the three. At a crucial juncture late in the game, Orrange just blew by Kaleena on a switch, which might not have happened if she had had a few minutes rest during each half. As the season develops, one of the Freshmen may earn his trust for that role; after all, they will get plenty of playing time during the conference season.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
If he is going to use a seven rotation for big games (which is understandable), then he needs to give either Morgan Tuck or Kia Nurse (or both) some time at the three. At a crucial juncture late in the game, Orrange just blew by Kaleena on a switch, which might not have happened if she had had a few minutes rest during each half. As the season develops, one of the Freshmen may earn his trust for that role; after all, they will get plenty of playing time during the conference season.

I am thinking that maybe Nurse....would Tuck be quick enough?

Reaction Score
I am thinking that maybe Nurse....would Tuck be quick enough?

Against Stanford, absolutely. The foul issue, though, prevented him from doing that. By the way, has anyone brought up the issue that Kia Nurse is used to playing under international rules, which allows more contact? Also, two of her fouls were really bad calls, including the charge when the replay clearly showed that the defenders feet were in the circle. That was a huge turning point in the game.

Reaction Score
Against Stanford, absolutely. The foul issue, though, prevented him from doing that. By the way, has anyone brought up the issue that Kia Nurse is used to playing under international rules, which allows more contact? Also, two of her fouls were really bad calls, including the charge when the replay clearly showed that the defenders feet were in the circle. That was a huge turning point in the game.
Bad referees anticipate fouls. That happened several times last night and Doris Burke to her credit pointed it out.

Gate81

'Gate Grad Likes Cardinal & UConn Best
Reaction Score
bad foul calls both ways...and that ball that didn't touch Thompson's foot on the replay.

Looks from the video also that the official was going to call a foul on MoJet on the 1.4 second shot by Orrange (see clenched fist, per what I read) but changed her mind when the ball went in. That could have been a one point lead if it had been called. Whole game was weird with calls against both teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom