Dbl. Overtime Game vs. NC State Up For ESPY Award | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Dbl. Overtime Game vs. NC State Up For ESPY Award

sun

Reaction Score
The ESPN page says that you can vote now to chose the winner from the choices below.

BEST GAME​

• Kansas City Chiefs defeat the Buffalo Bills in an OT thriller (AFC Divisional Game)
  • UConn defeats NC State in double OT (Elite 8 NCAA Women’s Basketball)
  • Kansas’ 16-point rally, which was the biggest comeback in championship game history (NCAA Men’s Basketball Championship)
  • Bryce Young rallies Alabama to beat Auburn in four OTs (NCAA Football Iron Bowl)

Reaction Score
Anyone know if any of the girls from the team are going to the awards to represent the nomination for Best Game? Azzi is currently in LA doing workouts with Steph Curry so maybe she’ll make an appearance.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I know I'll get a whipping for this. First let me say like many this was the most exciting game I can recall and one in which no one blinked. I've watched it and the second half many times. The whipping part? I keep thinking that if Paige brought the magic somewhat earlier it would not have been an OT game. Yeah, I know, miserable ingrate that I am.

Reaction Score
Anyone know if any of the girls from the team are going to the awards to represent the nomination for Best Game? Azzi is currently in LA doing workouts with Steph Curry so maybe she’ll make an appearance.

I'm gonna say no. Only because there are numerous women up for awards that weren't invited. One in particular, Boston.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I know I'll get a whipping for this. First let me say like many this was the most exciting game I can recall and one in which no one blinked. I've watched it and the second half many times. The whipping part? I keep thinking that if Paige brought the magic somewhat earlier it would not have been an OT game. Yeah, I know, miserable ingrate that I am.
Whipping, no. Just some bemusement.

I think we have to live with the idea that Paige will continue to start games "slowly" by trying to get everyone else involved first. It really is embedded deep into her DNA. Her teammates need to help out which they did quite well in the NC St game.

I am curious if anyone has ever made a statistical breakdown of Paige by quarters?

Reaction Score
I'm gonna say no. Only because there are numerous women up for awards that weren't invited. One in particular, Boston.
I’d imagine they’d send at least one representative since it’s a pretty big category. On the Preview show Bryce Young confirmed that’d he be in attendance to represent Alabama for their nomination in the same category. Not sure if he was up for any other awards that will be included in the show tho.

Reaction Score
I’d imagine they’d send at least one representative since it’s a pretty big category. On the Preview show Bryce Young confirmed that’d he be in attendance to represent Alabama for their nomination in the same category. Not sure if he was up for any other awards that will be included in the show tho.

I am specifically talking about women not being invited. Aliyah Boston is up for female athlete of the year and not invited. How do they not invite her??

Reaction Score
I am specifically talking about women not being invited. Aliyah Boston is up for female athlete of the year and not invited. How do they not invite her??
I don’t disagree about the lack of representation of female athletes at such events. However, the ESPYs did say that the Best College Athlete, Women’s Sports category would not be included in the main show (actually both Best College Athlete awards-Men’s and Women’s Sports-were announced on the Preview Show instead) and for that reason they did not invite Aliyah Boston. Only Jocelyn Alo was invited out of the category because she has a few other individual and team nominations. Not saying it’s an acceptable situation but there was a reason for it.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Winner not announced during live show is why ESPN said nominees not invited. Same true of nominees for best male college athlete. Also, btw. Boston didn’t win the award. Jocelyn Alo won and she will be there tonight because her Oklahoma team is nominated for another award or two.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
pretty obvious chiefs vs bills will win game of the year
Not to people that are not football fans. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Your fantasy may not necessarily also be someone elses. Not everyone looks at sporting events through the same lens.

Reaction Score
Not to people that are not football fans. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Your fantasy may not necessarily also be someone elses. Not everyone looks at sporting events through the same lens.
All the games in the Best Game category are very worthy of winning. You have an OT NFL playoff game, a 2OT March Madness game to go to the Final 4, a 4OT Iron Bowl rivalry game, and a 16-pt comeback to win a national championship. Personally, I think it’s between the Chiefs/Bills game & the UConn/NC State game. Both high stakes and had the back & forth nature of every instant classic. Also keep in mind that a March Madness game won this award last year (Gonzaga v. UCLA in the Final 4 with Jalen Suggs’ half court buzzer beater).

Reaction Score
I agree. It's a matter of growing the sport as well. This game did do that. This was the most watched women's Elite 8 game since 2006 and will rank as one of the greatest and most exciting women's or men's college basketball games ever. It was beautiful basketball with an incredible performance by Paige. You had everything, including a coaching mistake at the end in calling time out by NC State. Geno jumped on it and called his last time out consecutively. NC State now has no time outs and the ball is at mid court. They could have fouled if no steal, hope UCONN misses one of them, call time out and advance for a 3.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I agree. It's a matter of growing the sport as well. This game did do that. This was the most watched women's Elite 8 game since 2006 and will rank as one of the greatest and most exciting women's or men's college basketball games ever. It was beautiful basketball with an incredible performance by Paige. You had everything, including a coaching mistake at the end in calling time out by NC State. Geno jumped on it and called his last time out consecutively. NC State now has no time outs and the ball is at mid court. They could have fouled if no steal, hope UCONN misses one of them, call time out and advance for a 3.
The only issue I had with the poster's comment was: "pretty obvious" chiefs vs bills will win game of the year. the BOLDED portioned. I was reminded by a "visitor" to the boneyard that my comment that "we all know" as part of a narrative I wrote was not correct. The "we all know" comment was meant for UConn fans only, but my narrative did not read that way. One must be careful in using words or phrases that are all inclusive.

Pretty obvious to who? As I highlighted in my response, sports fans DO NOT all see sporting events through the same lens. Folks here in the yard can watch the same game and come away with different takes and opinions. An example of the is the BAD-ASS Awards after each game. :confused: Seldom is there a consensus.

Reaction Score
Whipping, no. Just some bemusement.

I think we have to live with the idea that Paige will continue to start games "slowly" by trying to get everyone else involved first. It really is embedded deep into her DNA. Her teammates need to help out which they did quite well in the NC St game.

I am curious if anyone has ever made a statistical breakdown of Paige by quarters?

+1

I've seen many of her HS games and that is how she started most every game and many halves. I happen to like the idea of getting everyone involved early but her HS coach used to also say that he wished she'd score more earlier.

Reaction Score
as expected chiefs bills, sorry but football is the most popular sport it's going to usually win.

Reaction Score
I was there as well. It was an unbelievable game. Just surreal. It deserves some type of award. At the same time I had so much nerves, I'm not sure I can go to another game.

Reaction Score
as a raiders fan chiefs bills was a legendary game with two of the future young qb's of the future.

Reaction Score
+1

I've seen many of her HS games and that is how she started most every game and many halves. I happen to like the idea of getting everyone involved early but her HS coach used to also say that he wished she'd score more earlier.
I think the Arkansas games are like a model for her. After the loss two years ago, Paige criticized herself, saying if she’d started shooting right away they might have won. In the game this year, she didn’t score in the first quarter, and then torched them for 30+ points. She values getting the team involved, and that’s great. But she also must believe she can overcome any deficit if she has to — even if hard experience ought to teach her the opposite.

In the NC St game I also think she was still feeling a little banged up from the UCF and Indiana games, too, though she probably wouldn’t admit it. She may have been trying to conserve energy for the end. And when the end came, she delivered!

Reaction Score
The only issue I had with the poster's comment was: "pretty obvious" chiefs vs bills will win game of the year. the BOLDED portioned. I was reminded by a "visitor" to the boneyard that my comment that "we all know" as part of a narrative I wrote was not correct. The "we all know" comment was meant for UConn fans only, but my narrative did not read that way. One must be careful in using words or phrases that are all inclusive.

Pretty obvious to who? As I highlighted in my response, sports fans DO NOT all see sporting events through the same lens. Folks here in the yard can watch the same game and come away with different takes and opinions. An example of the is the BAD-ASS Awards after each game. :confused: Seldom is there a consensus.
bills chiefs won easily, again football and wbb is not a comparison for viewers.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
+1

It is a stubborn defect in her thinking; about the only one. I'm sure there have been games that had Geno grinding his teeth.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom