Day 1 Question: Would Holy Cross Beat Pepperdine? | The Boneyard

Day 1 Question: Would Holy Cross Beat Pepperdine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
The question is worth at least a moment's consideration because our orange friends beat Pepperdine at home today by a score of 89-57. Much of the team stat lines for UConn and the LV's are very similar:

Field goals: UConn 28-62 (45%); Tenn 29-59 (49%)
3-pointers: Uconn 9-24; Tenn 10-16 (at least the made 3's are similar, not the percentage)
Rebounds: UConn 45 total, 15 offensive; Tenn 51 total, 14 offensive
Opponent's rebounds: UConn 28 total, 10 offensive; Tenn 33 total, 13 offensive

The big reason why Tennessee scored more points was 21 made free throws vs. Uconn's 12, as a result of the Pepperdine fouling 25 times vs. Holy Cross's 11 fouls. Does that mean that Tennessee was getting more effective penetration and drawing more fouls?

Having watched the UConn game in person and then catching the end of the Tennessee game on TV, I would have to say (honestly) that Pepperdine appeared to be a taller and more athletic team than Holy Cross, and would probably win if the two teams played each other. Did anyone else see both games? Would you agree?

It's not really surprising that Tennessee would be more well-oiled in the first game of the season than UConn, given how much UConn has changed since last year relative to Tennessee. Tennessee had 22 turnovers and committed 23 fouls, so they weren't exactly running at maximum efficiency either.

There is little doubt that Gonzaga (Stanford's opponent today whom it beat by only 76-61) is a level above either Holy Cross or Pepperdine. Stanford shot 50%, but it is notable that the O sisters had 52 of Stanford's 76 points, and Stanford was only 3-13 from 3-point range. Without the Peterson-Pohlen combination this year, Stanford may not have much of a perimeter offense and should be susceptible to a collapsing defense. They are integrating a number of freshmen and sophomores such as Kokenis who were not heavily relied on last year. The game on November 21 will be an early game for them as well as for UConn, and it is not at all clear that Stanford will be better prepared for it than UConn is.

I was slightly surprised that Bonnie Samuelson played only 7 minutes and had only 1 point and 2 rebounds, given the hype about her while she was being recruited.

Reaction Score
It's irrelevant when comparing Tennessee to UConn this early in the season. Coach Auriemma seemed to be working through a few things, undoubtedly in preparation for Stanford. In most of the prior years, UConn either held better cards or had a hand from which to make a very good bluff. No so this year at this early stage.

IMO, the Stanford game is going to come down to who shows up for UConn. We might as well pencil in Nnecka for 30 and 15 an work on keeping Stanford from scoring 70.
I agree that Stanford looked vulnerable to the press against Texas. UConn's press, over the last few years, was not designed to create offense, but more so to slow down the opposition and make them work their offense on a short clock. That kind of press can also be very effective against Stanford considering how traditionally deliberate they tend to be.

Reaction Score
Yes, Pepperdine is better than Holy Cross.

Yes, using that as a comparison of UConn and Tenn is pointless & unmeaningful.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
I saw the Pepperdine game, but not the Holy Cross game. Based upon my recollection of HC from last year, Pepperdine is much better. I understand that HC is improved (I certainly hoe so, as our margin is forty points smaller), but I still bet that Pepperdine is the better team by a fair margin. That said, while Pepperdine at times played decently, there was a long stretch in the second half where Tennessee totally flummoxed them, and they looked very bad. I don't see the stats as "very similar" I think Tennessee stats look measurably better.

Comparing Tennessee to UConn by looking at an opponent, and speculating how comparable the opponents might be is exactly as relevant as watching a UConn or Tennessee game. None of those activities will solve world hunger, so in that sense, all are irrelevant, but all those activities may be pleasurable to the person doing it so all are equally meaningful.

Reaction Score
At this point you can't make a comparison between UCONN and Tennessee based on a game against different opponents. At this point of the season I really don't care if Tennessee is better then UCONN. What matters is who is the best at the end of the season.

Reaction Score
The question is worth at least a moment's consideration because our orange friends beat Pepperdine at home today by a score of 89-57. Much of the team stat lines for UConn and the LV's are very similar:

Field goals: UConn 28-62 (45%); Tenn 29-59 (49%)
3-pointers: Uconn 9-24; Tenn 10-16 (at least the made 3's are similar, not the percentage)
Rebounds: UConn 45 total, 15 offensive; Tenn 51 total, 14 offensive
Opponent's rebounds: UConn 28 total, 10 offensive; Tenn 33 total, 13 offensive

The big reason why Tennessee scored more points was 21 made free throws vs. Uconn's 12, as a result of the Pepperdine fouling 25 times vs. Holy Cross's 11 fouls. Does that mean that Tennessee was getting more effective penetration and drawing more fouls?

Having watched the UConn game in person and then catching the end of the Tennessee game on TV, I would have to say (honestly) that Pepperdine appeared to be a taller and more athletic team than Holy Cross, and would probably win if the two teams played each other. Did anyone else see both games? Would you agree?

It's not really surprising that Tennessee would be more well-oiled in the first game of the season than UConn, given how much UConn has changed since last year relative to Tennessee. Tennessee had 22 turnovers and committed 23 fouls, so they weren't exactly running at maximum efficiency either.

There is little doubt that Gonzaga (Stanford's opponent today whom it beat by only 76-61) is a level above either Holy Cross or Pepperdine. Stanford shot 50%, but it is notable that the O sisters had 52 of Stanford's 76 points, and Stanford was only 3-13 from 3-point range. Without the Peterson-Pohlen combination this year, Stanford may not have much of a perimeter offense and should be susceptible to a collapsing defense. They are integrating a number of freshmen and sophomores such as Kokenis who were not heavily relied on last year. The game on November 21 will be an early game for them as well as for UConn, and it is not at all clear that Stanford will be better prepared for it than UConn is.

I was slightly surprised that Bonnie Samuelson played only 7 minutes and had only 1 point and 2 rebounds, given the hype about her while she was being recruited.

agree with all your pts and that's exactly what Zags did. Bonnie will play a lot, but depends on match-ups. Zags were too quick for her.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
At this point you can't make a comparison between UCONN and Tennessee based on a game against different opponents.

Of course you can. People compare the UConn 2010 team against the 2002 team, with far less justification. People compare Diana Taurasi against Cheryl Miller, people compare the 2004 Red Sox against the Gas House Gang. People speculate who would win a death match between Busta Rhymes and William Shakespeare. As long you don't take it too seriously, why not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom