Dawn's Presser | The Boneyard

Dawn's Presser

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
As I've said before, clearly Dawn's new option offense is still a work in progress. Next year they are going to rip it up in the SEC.

Reaction Score
Napheesa impressed the Olympic coach.
There's a long track record there...Pheesa played for her internationally, specifically her U19 experience with Staley as the head coach, where Pheesa was their most consistent & best player, and that included Wilson. Staley's admired her efforts for years. Last night's performance was simply more proof of Pheesa's consistent excellence.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Even earlier with the U18 team

Aug 8, 2014 after game with Canada where they started out slow.

Head coach Dawn Staley (University of South Carolina)
On her thoughts of tonight’s game, including the back-and-forth start between both teams:
We knew Canada was going to come out and play extremely well against us in the beginning, but what we told our team was, ‘a marathon isn’t won in the first mile’. I like what we bring into this tournament over a 40-minute period, and I thought we responded. We got some great contributions off the bench.

Napheesa Collier -- beautiful performance. It’s incredible to watch her operate night in and night out. This is what she does every single night; she doesn’t take plays off and that’s why she willed us to this win today.

Deja Vu :D

and who is the looking up at the flag

1549976310823.png

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
As I've said before, clearly Dawn's new option offense is still a work in progress. Next year they are going to rip it up in the SEC.
Maybe. SC loses Jennings & Cuevas-Moore for sure, and very possibly Cooper as well. They’ll have a great freshman class coming in, but they will still be freshmen.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Maybe. SC loses Jennings & Cuevas-Moore for sure, and very possibly Cooper as well. They’ll have a great freshman class coming in, but they will still be freshmen.

Imho, Boston as a Freshman will be at least as good as Jennings is now.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Imho, Boston as a Freshman will be at least as good as Jennings is now.
Maybe. But Cuevas-Moore & Cooper will be difficult to replace.

Reaction Score
As I said at the time, one of the best things to happen to Dawn was learning from Geno as his Assistant with the National Team. Where do you think her new offense came from? No doubt, some of it may be due to the "Geno effect".

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
.... and while going down memory lane, I recall Dawn telling the story that after one of the USA experiences (I dont recall which), Pheesa was the only one who ever wrote her a nice thank you note for her experiences on the International stage. That sticks with a coach.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Maybe. But Cuevas-Moore & Cooper will be difficult to replace.

I selfishly want Cooper to return. She’s what nightmares are made of at the guard spot. And I think she can benefit from another year of working with Dawn. What’s working against that is the fact that she would have to get a waiver for another year, eventhough the NCAA would likely give her a 5th year since she’s only had two full years of college ball at season’s end. Cuevas-Moore is a big loss. She defends, she scores, she’s a presence on this team. But if Cooper comes back then I like what we have at guard still.. Seniors in Harris, Cooper.. a junior in Jackson, a sophomore in Henderson and the freshmen.. Cooke and Beal. Dawn will likely keep the high scoring three guard lineup with Harris, Cooper and Jackson returning to the starting lineup. But man oh man am I going to miss Cuevas-Moore.

Jennings is the easiest one to replace. Harrigan will for sure start at PF, but Saxton could be a surprise at C for SC. Saxton is a 6’2 forward but she runs the floor like a guard, defends, and rebounds like a center. She’s the highest jumper on the team already. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Saxton and Boston on the floor at the same time possibly.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I selfishly want Cooper to return. She’s what nightmares are made of at the guard spot. And I think she can benefit from another year of working with Dawn. What’s working against that is the fact that she would have to get a waiver for another year, eventhough the NCAA would likely give her a 5th year since she’s only had two full years of college ball at season’s end. Cuevas-Moore is a big loss. She defends, she scores, she’s a presence on this team. But if Cooper comes back then I like what we have at guard still.. Seniors in Harris, Cooper.. a junior in Jackson, a sophomore in Henderson and the freshmen.. Cooke and Beal. Dawn will likely keep the high scoring three guard lineup with Harris, Cooper and Jackson returning to the starting lineup. But man oh man am I going to miss Cuevas-Moore.
Cooper is an X-factor for sure. Her battle with Lou last night was the game within the game, quickness vs size. I have to believe that one factor in her decision to return or not would have to be her knee. I don’t know how bad her knee is, but if it’s chronic in nature, Cooper may decide to earn a living in the pros while she still can.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
The thing with option offenses is not only the players, but the coaches have a learning curve. When Dawn recruited she did so for the first time considering how her new charges will fit into this new scheme. Just as importantly, the coaches have to learn how to implement this scheme. Geno teaches there are, what, 8 options off of every position? Coaches have to learn how to effectively position each player, then teach those options in the most efficient way.. It takes years to learn this stuff. Okay, maybe not next year, but by the time her new young team are in their second year, look out. Smart gal that Dawn.

Reaction Score

Jennings is the easiest one to replace. Harrigan will for sure start at PF, but Saxton could be a surprise at C for SC. Saxton is a 6’2 forward but she runs the floor like a guard, defends, and rebounds like a center. She’s the highest jumper on the team already. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Saxton and Boston on the floor at the same time possibly.

She does not have to get a waiver to play next year. She is classified as a redshirt junior now. She sat out her redshirt sophomore year due to transfer rules. You don't need a waiver to play a 5th year if you were redshirted. She would have to get a waiver if she wanted to play a 6th year. If Cooper does not come back it would be her choice.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom