Dawn Staley | The Boneyard

Dawn Staley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Just throwing this out….always two sides.
During Stewie’s run , Dawn was always complaining that UCONN was bad for basketball.
I want to say that Wilson’s Junior year , UCONN blew them out on the way to the FF and Dawn just gave up….no timeouts a sarcastic look….patronizing attitude.
After she won her first championship she turned more arrogant and petulant….her putting up the undefeated banner during the COVID suspension assuming they were the best , overlooking the great Oregon team and a not too shabby Baylor and UCONN team, reeks of arrogance.
The other side…there are coaches that seem to think she is great…she has built SC to a monumental program….leading the nation in attendance….her recruiting of top players is beyond dispute….she has become a better coach and her last two teams play great defense and more disciplined than her past teams…she seems to have evolved with the times..
I prefer Geno’s way but she is coming on strong.
And yes, I never have liked her demeanor and never could , as a UCONN obsessed fan as many here in this site.

Last edited:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I have a lot of respect for the player she was and the ambassador of the women's game and program builder that she has become. She has built a power from scratch much like Kim Mulkey. She has shown that she can get certain players to come and buy into her program.
Also, like Kim Mulkey she is a questionable in-game/ x&o coach. Her teams never run good offense, their offense is predicated on their defense, turnovers and getting out in transition. Which can be problematic against better teams especially come tournament time. She is no Geno Auriemma by any stretch. Her one NC came when UConn was upset by Miss. St. UConn would've beaten that So Carolina team as they did late in the season that year.

Having said all that she has on paper a loaded team lets see what she does with it...

Reaction Score
I have a lot of respect for the player she was and the ambassador of the women's game and program builder that she has become. She has built a power from scratch much like Kim Mulkey. She has shown that she can get certain players to come and buy into her program.
Also, like Kim Mulkey she is a questionable in-game/ x&o coach. Her teams never run good offense, their offense is predicated on their defense, turnovers and getting out in transition. Which can be problematic against better teams especially come tournament time. She is no Geno Auriemma by any stretch. Her one NC came when UConn was upset by Miss. St. UConn would've beaten that So Carolina team as they did late in the season that year.

Having said all that she has on paper a loaded team lets see what she does with it...
I feel she has an offense in the last three years where she uses her players talents accordingly
And yes on paper they are scary….
But many factors can take precedent….injuries….chemistry….playing time.
I admired how Tara utilized her deep roster this past season….you posed your position and I posed mine ….we can agree to disagree

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
She's at a softball game with her puppy by her side right now as I speak.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Here we go. This thread is right on schedule. Copy and paste.

If she honestly felt that UConn was bad for the sport why would she continue going out of her way to schedule the Huskies in the MIDDLE of our conference schedule while many other top coaches and programs are jumping through hoops to avoid the Huskies at all costs. Make it make sense to me. The timing of that game alone benefits UConn..

Reaction Score
she's a wonderful coach I really love her ,and she have a good team , specially Boston for pe she's the best forward in the country her and smith from Baylor

Reaction Score
If Dawn had told that joke, you'd still be laughing at it!
Sorry u mistake me for a gamecock fan when really a fan of good humor try it sometime

Reaction Score
we can't be happy for a hc to succeed?
Sure we can, but we can also have an opinion on other things as well. One of those things is whether she is arrogant and self-promoting. I think she is. There is no denying that she has turned that program into one of the top tier programs in the country. I simply don’t agree with how she goes about it. She deserves (and has) my respect for what she has built but loses me with issues like the banner, lobbying to be declared champion, her petulant attitude and tendency to avoid responsibility after a loss, and her teams style of play. I just don’t think she is a very good offensive coach. Her players don’t seem to improve much on that side of the ball. She is good on defense though. Definitely a winner, just not a lot of fun to watch while she is doing it.

W

wolfe613

Sure we can, but we can also have an opinion on other things as well. One of those things is whether she is arrogant and self-promoting. I think she is. There is no denying that she has turned that program into one of the top tier programs in the country. I simply don’t agree with how she goes about it. She deserves (and has) my respect for what she has built but loses me with issues like the banner, lobbying to be declared champion, her petulant attitude and tendency to avoid responsibility after a loss, and her teams style of play. I just don’t think she is a very good offensive coach. Her players don’t seem to improve much on that side of the ball. She is good on defense though. Definitely a winner, just not a lot of fun to watch while she is doing it.
I would bet that's how other teams feel about Geno

Reaction Score
I feel she has an offense in the last three years where she uses her players talents accordingly
I admired how Tara utilized her deep roster this past season….you posed your position and I posed mine ….we can agree to disagree

We certainly disagree on this, I see a So Carolina team year in and year out struggle offensively even against inferior competition.

Reaction Score
Here we go. This thread is right on schedule. Copy and paste.

If she honestly felt that UConn was bad for the sport why would she continue going out of her way to schedule the Huskies in the MIDDLE of our conference schedule while many other top coaches and programs are jumping through hoops to avoid the Huskies at all costs. Make it make sense to me. The timing of that game alone benefits UConn..
Because it is good for her program and because she now feels she is up to UCONN level…it is elementary

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
I don't know whether Dawn said it or not. It was DAN Shaughnessy of the Boston Globe who did say it.

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
Just throwing this out….always two sides.
During Stewie’s run , Dawn was always complaining that UCONN was bad for basketball.
I want to say that Wilson’s Junior year , UCONN blew them out on the way to the FF and Dawn just gave up….no timeouts a sarcastic look….patronizing attitude.
After she won her first championship she turned more arrogant and petulant….her putting up the undefeated banner during the COVID suspension assuming they were the best , overlooking the great Oregon team and a not too shabby Baylor and UCONN team, reeks of arrogance.
The other side…there are coaches that seem to think she is great…she has built SC to a monumental program….leading the nation in attendance….her recruiting of top players is beyond dispute….she has become a better coach and her last two teams play great defense and more disciplined than her past teams…she seems to have evolved with the times..
I prefer Geno’s way but she is coming on strong.
And yes, I never have liked her demeanor and never could , as a UCONN obsessed fan as many here in this site.
This post has the sound of "sour grapes". You wait until Dawn secures a player out of the portal that takes SC to a whole new level to post this....yea...sour grapes is all this is. UCONN had some great teams and they capitalized on those great players. Dawn is now loading up and you go back to.....something she never said. She was a Geno disciple for years. Geno mentored her and she paid attention. Like I said....sour grapes 101 !

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
We should be happy. Its not that much fun when we win a NC with no other contenders. We need somebody to hate (not really hate, but you know what I mean). Wasn't it fun playing Pat Summitt and Tennessee? Did you get up for those games with Muffett and Notre Dame, even though we had a chance to lose? The NC isn't until the end of the year, don't we want some excitement during the year, games that we look forward to, games that make us nervous? Don't we want to play a team that challenges us so much that we anticipate that game for weeks? In that respect, Dawn has stepped up to the plate. She will make our quest very hard, and that is the beauty of our OOC schedule. We don't play in the ACC, or the SEC, or the PAC12. Our conference is boring, no challenges, no problems. Even though I really don't like Dawn, her personality is really crass and sometimes she says things that ruffle our feathers (remind you of anyone?) . The bigger our opponent the better, give us something to talk about and relish during our usual boring schedule. Dawn, go for it! We will be ready!

Reaction Score
This post has the sound of "sour grapes". You wait until Dawn secures a player out of the portal that takes SC to a whole new level to post this....yea...sour grapes is all this is. UCONN had some great teams and they capitalized on those great players. Dawn is now loading up and you go back to.....something she never said. She was a Geno disciple for years. Geno mentored her and she paid attention. Like I said....sour grapes 101 !
I always thought Dawn tried to follow the UConn blueprint as much as possible, I never sensed any disrespect from her in any way towards Geno and his program.
Listen, there is nothing wrong with competition there is another program that has stepped up to the plate and taken the challenge that is UConn WCBB, good for her. She still has to win some titles and plenty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom