Dawn Staley "It felt great beating UConn" | The Boneyard

Dawn Staley "It felt great beating UConn"

Reaction Score
I saw the interview "live" and she says what I, as a Louisville fan, have said for years - if you want to be the best you have to beat the best. My Cardinals have not yet reached that summit - UConn, Stanford and now South Carolina have prevented that - but I loved those games because that's how a program is validated. I'm thinking that Staley was saying that it took a win over UConn to really validate her team's ascendancy.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I saw the interview "live" and she says what I, as a Louisville fan, have said for years - if you want to be the best you have to beat the best. My Cardinals have not yet reached that summit - UConn, Stanford and now South Carolina have prevented that - but I loved those games because that's how a program is validated. I'm thinking that Staley was saying that it took a win over UConn to really validate her team's ascendancy.
I am guessing that you are a fan of Ric Flair

Reaction Score
Great interview and thanks for sharing the video with us. Pretty sure it did feel good beating UConn. Villanova looked like they won the National Championship when they won against UConn this season. But for any program, especially for Coach Staley and her South Carolina squad, beating UConn for the National Championship, is that cherry on top of the ice cream sundae. It just crosses off one more box for the critics. One less arrow in the quiver for the critics.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I have to say, I like her. I don’t particularly like losing to her, but I do like Dawn. She’s bright, funny, and very comfortable in her own skin. I also like that she’s aware of the impact she can have on other coaches in is cognizant of paying it forward.

Reaction Score
She already is, based on the last three meetings.
Nope. Only 3 outta' 4.

For me as a fan, our '17 championship was somewhat tarnished by the fact that Mississippi state had to do the heavy lifting by beating UConn in the final four. This year, we did that heavy lifting and I feel like we were the best team in wbb.

2017. Champs but not the best team in wbb.
2019 Not champs but maybe the best team in wbb.
2021 Champs and best team in wbb.

2022? we will see if the motivation is there to repeat. Dawn will have. Will the players give that extra effort needed to win championships?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Nope. Only 3 outta' 4.

For me as a fan, our '17 championship was somewhat tarnished by the fact that Mississippi state had to do the heavy lifting by beating UConn in the final four. This year, we did that heavy lifting and I feel like we were the best team in wbb.

2022? we will see if the motivation is there to repeat. Dawn will have. Will the players give that extra effort needed to win championships?

Correction needed on 2019. Im sure u meant 2020.

Reaction Score
I do not like her….she does not seem real…when she was losing to UCONN she was flippant…dismissive and at time sarcastic.
Please no haters …that is my way of seeing it.
And by mistake I saw a thread from a SC blog and they are so disrespectful and hateful specially towards Paige.
And some reporters have gone overboard
calling Staley the GOAT….she needs 9 Chips more ….4 Straight NCAA W Chips….a winning streak of 111 straight wins…
14 Straight Final Four….and so on and so on.
I wasn't a big fan of Dawn's before I met her years ago at MSG when UConn played against the USA national team.........I was with my younger daughter and Dawn came over and spoke to us for what must have been five minutes......she was funny and extremely nice.......although I hated that UConn lost to SC, I have to admit as a person she certainly won me over.....

Reaction Score
Nope. Only 3 outta' 4.

The years listed above are wrong. I can't correct the original post.

It should be:

2020 Not champs but maybe the best team in wbb.
2022 Champs and best team in wbb.

2023? we will see if the motivation is there to repeat. Dawn will have. Will the players give that extra effort needed to win championships?

Reaction Score
Yup.

"I think the second (title) is sweeter," Staley said. "The first time that we won, we didn't play against UConn. And UConn is considered the very best. Their tradition, their history, all of that. So it wasn't really validated in 2017.

"This year, we got a chance to play them and it felt great beating them."

Reaction Score
The Philly sports radio guys are talking Dawn up as a replacement for Doc Rivers, coach of the 76ers. She has the Philly connection and they think she is tough enough to deal with NBA players. They think it is the only job that would pry her from SC. I am amused by their chatter because they rarely discuss any women's sports.

Reaction Score
Yes remember she was supposed to have the Portland job for the taking!!!
It is just throwing out discussions for the sake of discussions….

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Harkens back to the early days of us beating Tennessee. Huskies need to meet the challenge going forward

Reaction Score
After Boston and the bigs graduate let us evaluate what great she is and the SC program

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
I do not like her….she does not seem real…when she was losing to UCONN she was flippant…dismissive and at time sarcastic.
Please no haters …that is my way of seeing it.
And by mistake I saw a thread from a SC blog and they are so disrespectful and hateful specially towards Paige.
And some reporters have gone overboard
calling Staley the GOAT….she needs 9 Chips more ….4 Straight NCAA W Chips….a winning streak of 111 straight wins…
14 Straight Final Four….and so on and so on.

maybe chill out :) life is too short to ruminate about such trivia.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom