Dawn Staley Gives Huge Shoutout to Kiah Stokes | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Dawn Staley Gives Huge Shoutout to Kiah Stokes

Reaction Score
No. I was not a full-time UConn fan/follower while Charde was here (2004-2008). I didn’t start following UConn until after the 2008 season when I retired and had more leisure time to do so. I remember that Maya Moore was a sophomore when I started following the Huskies.

I never expressed any doubt on line that I thought she was unhappy. Just casual observations I made along with some observations made by several posters. I never read anywhere where she said or suggested she was contemplating leaving.
Except for KJ (who eventually went to Perdue) I don't think, at times, maybe more, any player was as confusing and apparently unhappy as Charde. With all her talent, she had "happy feet" (traveled a lot).

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
On a semi-related note, has it ever been confirmed that the WNBA logo is Kia?

A4BD4A64-8649-48F1-80C9-0B00CB5D2696.jpeg
3056EB85-55BF-4E92-ABF9-EC6B224A55AC.jpeg

Reaction Score
Kiah was asked when she went home by people why she wouldn't transfer to get more playing time. She said she wanted to get better as a player and win NCs and that was at UConn. She was the best naturally gifted shot blocker the Huskies ever had! Her Dad was a really good player too.

Reaction Score
Possibly, she could have scored more. Look at the lineup she was in games with, she filled a role that was necessary--more than scoring. However, when she had the opportunity--I refer you to nearly all her games as a Jr/Sr--she scored. It was an illusion Geno, in jest or probing, gave to the public.

I was a huge supporter. UConn was stronger inside with her in the game. But her lack of offense was no illusion. And it wasn't that she was a bad shooter, rather she just didn't shoot much. I wouldn't be surprised if she had more blocked shots than fg attempts in many games. But I didn't care. UConn had scorers up the wazoo but lacked granite blocks. My memories of her are either of her blocking a shot (often without leaving her feet) and then coolly running down the court like it was nothing or her disappearing into a mass of opposing jerseys under the basket and then emerging with the ball. :)

Brady is the closest Geno has come to signing a Stokes-type body and athleticism. Just one more thing for me to look forward to.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Except for KJ (who eventually went to Perdue) I don't think, at times, maybe more, any player was as confusing and apparently unhappy as Charde. With all her talent, she had "happy feet" (traveled a lot).
As I said, I was not a UConn fan nor did I follow the team when she was there, so you'll have to sell me about her. I know who she is, but I'm like Sergeant Schlutz on Hogan's Heroes when it come to Charde, I know nothing about her. I understand she had some "challenges" during her time there. :confused:

UConn WBB fell in my lap. I saw them on TV during the tournament in March of 2008 (the month/year I retired) and fell in love with then. I'm on the west coast. We don't get any news or press about WCBB teams on the east coast. We've got plenty of teams locally and in the PAC 10 (then) that's on the evening news to follow. I liked their style and the way they played. I didn't have time to watch TV back then.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
As I said, I was not a UConn fan nor did I follow the team when she was there, so you'll have to sell me about her. I know who she is, but I'm like Sergeant Schlutz on Hogan's Heroes when it come to Charde, I know nothing about her. I understand she had some "challenges" during her time there. :confused:

UConn WBB fell in my lap. I saw them on TV during the tournament in March of 2008 (the month/year I retired) and fell in love with then. I'm on the west coast. We don't get any news or press about WCBB teams on the east coast. We've got plenty of teams locally and in the PAC 10 (then) that's on the evening news to follow. I liked their style and the way they played. I didn't have time to watch TV back then.
If I said anything obnoxious, please excuse my poor choice of words, if I did that. Believe this--you and 3 or 4 others are those I read because you are the good guys and know your basketball. Well, I'm the SGT Schutz of everything else. I'm still trying to learn how to live in this mystery of a world.
Charde, was a mystery. She lived in a car in high school, she while in Connecticut, had a group of women "grandmothers" who cared for her, she lacked very much except in talent. She frustrated fans and Geno. Her potential was exceptional. Fans supported her. Enigma is an excellent definition of her at Uconn. She was POINT on the full court press, she was quick and when she didn't travel, she scored.

Reaction Score
I was a huge supporter. UConn was stronger inside with her in the game. But her lack of offense was no illusion. And it wasn't that she was a bad shooter, rather she just didn't shoot much. I wouldn't be surprised if she had more blocked shots than fg attempts in many games. But I didn't care. UConn had scorers up the wazoo but lacked granite blocks. My memories of her are either of her blocking a shot (often without leaving her feet) and then coolly running down the court like it was nothing or her disappearing into a mass of opposing jerseys under the basket and then emerging with the ball. :)

Brady is the closest Geno has come to signing a Stokes-type body and athleticism. Just one more thing for me to look forward to.
Kiah, I was a fan of hers. She, if she chose to do so, could score. She was on a team with scorers. I have never seen a Uconn player that was as good at goal defense. The nemesis of the pesky driving guards that plagued Uconn for years, were stopped with Kiah in the game. She was great blocking ( perfect timing), I can't think of anything about Kiah I didn't like. Reading her fathers worlds about her, I liked him too. If she is exceptional in anything in life she can point to his--Never give in attitude. If Brady is 1/2 that good, Uconn has a bright future.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom