Dawn Staley feeling disrespected | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Dawn Staley feeling disrespected

Reaction Score
He isn't reliving it, he mentioned it in passing. And how is he throwing it in her face? He didn't call her up and give his opinion. Does she normally follow Mel Greenberg's twitter feed? Or did someone, perhaps a fan, see it and inform her knowing she would respond?

If people want to say UConn only won in '13 because Baylor went down, let em. All the stats show UConn was basically on par with Baylor prior to Stewart's transformation in the tourney. UConn had 6 players on that roster that were or would be All-Americans. Baylor had 2.

You brought it up on here as if it was relevant. I'm only going by what you have said. And I've said several times on this thread that he shouldn't have mentioned it if he did. So which is it? Did he bring it up denigrating the win by saying Miss State was drained or not? If he brought it up-- isn't that "reliving it?" And it is ""denigrating." How cna you say that he isn't "depreciating" their win?

As far as Miss State vs USC- didn't USC beat them during the season 2 previous times? If you are going to use that "UCONN and Baylor were on par," then why not use USC and Miss State prior games? So again why even make the irrelevant passing comment if you are Greenberg? There is no point to mention it - even in passing.

And as post here on the boneyard, and maybe other sites - ofc anyone can post opinions. So to your comment "let them" knock UCONN for their 1st title. Sure. I agree. But I don't have to like the other person's opinion/ or think they are right, do I? Do the Tennesse fans or past coaching staff have to like the mention of 1997 beign "tainted?" How about the Notre Dame fan have to like hearing about UCONN's injuries during their 2001 title? It's okay to post - coaches and fans that we don't like it, right?

Reaction Score
She is holding on to that trophy, might be the only one she could get, she just does not want Mel to take it away from her!

Reaction Score
The nature of one and done tournaments is that there are upsets and the ultimate winner, while justifiably crowned the champion may or may not be considered the strongest team. The strongest team doesn't always win the tournament. Like Geno told his team before playing a team that had already beaten them 3 times during the season in the final four, all that matters is who is best that day.

Dawn is a bit too sensitive and appears to suffer from a need for external validation. I can remember that in 1995 a lot of LV fans bitterly commented that UConn played a cupcake schedule and that was the only reason they were undefeated.

Mel Greenberg has been one of the best friends wcbb has had in the media for a long time.

I don;'t think Dawn is too sensitive. I've heard Geno be tough on Tennessee when they had Parker - he didn't want to hear it. Even toward Parker. Nor did he want to hear how Notre Dame in 2001. Coaches are fighters. Dawn is no different.

Nor do I think making mention of "best friends" is anything close to being relevant. That is not even close to the point.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Now reading the post that Mel said-- I certainly agree with Dawn. There was absolutely no reason to make that tweet. Man, USC beat Miss State two times prior. GO get 'em Dawn.:)

Reaction Score
She is holding on to that trophy, might be the only one she could get, she just does not want Mel to take it away from her!
Dawn is just defending her team as many on this board would defend UConn if some stupid comment like this thrown out by a media member. It is funny that no one mentions this type of thing when a UConn men's team or Villanova team that was not picked to win it on goes on a run and wins the National Championship. To me it is not only a slight to SC and Miss. ST. but another slight on women's basketball and great stories that highlight their games. Also for good measure. Dawn and SC have beaten Miss. St 11 straight times, so let's not act like for some this was not expected. Aja Wilson has always neutralized McCowan and without Gray or Davis, T. Mitchell, Welch, etc.. have beaten Miss. St. That night was no fluke.

Reaction Score
My thoughts:

1. Dawn is being oversensitive and probably using Mel's tweet as a motivational tool for her team.

2. Any team that doesn't have "enough in the tank" when playing for the National Championship has no one to blame but themselves. Many teams have won very difficult semi-final games and than went on to have plenty in the tank for the championship. We rallied down 11 points in the 2nd half to beat Texas in 2003 and than went on to win against Tennessee. Tennessee won very tough games in 2007 and 2008 and had plenty left for the title games. If Miss State and Old Dominion couldn't recharge their tanks in 48 hours with a championship on the line it reflects badly only on them and not the teams that beat them.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Man, USC beat Miss State two times prior. GO get 'em Dawn.:)

Yes, in two very close, hard-fought games. Nobody is saying South Carolina couldn't have beaten MSS under different circumstances. But ANYONE was going to benefit from playing a Bulldogs team that had just celebrated like they won the title after beating a Goliath with a 111-game winning streak, in overtime I might add.

Reaction Score
Yes, in two very close, hard-fought games. Nobody is saying South Carolina couldn't have beaten MSS under different circumstances. But ANYONE was going to benefit from playing a Bulldogs team that had just celebrated like they won the title after beating a Goliath with a 111-game winning streak, in overtime I might add.

Yes - but USC WON. USC proved to be better by winning. Your point is accurate but to make mention of it nationally and not expect a coach to charge back to some degree is wrong. As stated coaches are fighters. Geno fights too when he is losing a bit more. Even during games when the coach knows their player committed a foul- they'll complain at times for the next call. There is no need to stick that in Dawn's / USC's face in this case.

Reaction Score
My thoughts:

1. Dawn is being oversensitive and probably using Mel's tweet as a motivational tool for her team.

huh?? This year you think she is using the Greenberg tweet?
No way. Completely different team. No way she can use this in any manner other than to tell the dude that tweeted that he shouldn't say it. Maybe for recruiting too- that she sticks up for her players/champions.

Reaction Score
huh?? This year you think she is using the Greenberg tweet?
No way. Completely different team. No way she can use this in any manner other than to tell the dude that tweeted that he shouldn't say it. Maybe for recruiting too- that she sticks up for her players/champions.

Huhh??

I think what I said was pretty straight forward. Dawn is being a drama queen.

Reaction Score
Huhh??

I think what I said was pretty straight forward. Dawn is being a drama queen.

I guess we're going to have agree to disagree. I think Dawn is spot on. As was sharris952's post regarding defending her team from the comment. If it comes up again on here from Dawn or anyone takes a shot at UCONN's title in Stewie's frosh year I'll defend it it just as vigorously. There was no need for Greenberg to throw/denigrate/depreciate that comment in USC's face especially after they already beat USC twice. USC was the better team- period.:)

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
He isn't reliving it, he mentioned it in passing. And how is he throwing it in her face? He didn't call her up and give his opinion. Does she normally follow Mel Greenberg's twitter feed? Or did someone, perhaps a fan, see it and inform her knowing she would respond?

If people want to say UConn only won in '13 because Baylor went down, let em. All the stats show UConn was basically on par with Baylor prior to Stewart's transformation in the tourney. UConn had 6 players on that roster that were or would be All-Americans. Baylor had 2.

She does follow Greenberg. They go WAY back. Like when she was a teenager, way back. Because of that relationship, Dawn’s tweet likely wasn’t malicious in intent but she was serving notice that she’ll defend her program against any perceived grievances. Friend or foe.... and that’s the thing about perception, it’s subjective.

Dawn is extremely proud of that accomplishment, most of us here are aware of how long it’s evaded her. Can you imagine having a life goal evade you for so long, achieving it, then people placing an asterisk next to it? Even people in the media that know you! Lets not pretend like Greenberg’s tweet was the first time a situation like this has occurred. Dawn probably sees it in her twitter mentions daily. Heck, I see it almost daily here. Even though UConn was the team that failed to make it to the title, so many people still denigrate SC’s title because they didn’t play the perceived (there’s that word again) favorite.

Whether this is her first of many or her last one... This one will always mean something significant to her and I would be disappointed if she didn’t defend her achievements and the program she built from obscurity. She always has.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Twitter is overrated. All tweets should stay in Tweetworld....or at least debates thereof.

Yes I know this won't happen. ;)

Reaction Score
Don't know the tweet--- but Dawn is right. Her team is the champion-- period. Mel should just let it go. There is no reason for anyone in the media to downplay their title. Okay for fans.

Agree: SC won with a great team of transfers and a home-grown center. Articles suggesting they were unworthy are inappropriate, and late to the dance.

Reaction Score
What's all this talk about God?
Geno is God.
I know because I saw it in the window at the stereo repair store in East Hartford.

Relax, Dawn is delusional, everyone from my era knows Clapton is God! ;)
Eric Clapton SPIN

Bringing up the Lord when talking about a basketball game is just....I can't find the words. :(
You have to understand some people think God likes sports. Not long ago UConn fired a just hired football coach because he thought Jesus would be in the huddle.
Nothing against anyone's beliefs but Dawn looks foolish with this one.....

Reaction Score
I can see why she might be irritated by that line of thinking, though in the end she can console herself with the championship trophy. Alms for many ails - therefore my sympathy is limited. ;)

I think MSSt and Schaefer have even more grounds to be irritated. Every game of theirs I've seen broadcast (plus many not even involving them), you get the highlight of the winning shot against UConn last tournament. It took a lot of wins in the season and the tournament to even get to that point, but that's all they've been distilled into. Nothing before or after. No championship payoff either.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
The nature of one and done tournaments is that there are upsets and the ultimate winner, while justifiably crowned the champion may or may not be considered the strongest team. The strongest team doesn't always win the tournament. Like Geno told his team before playing a team that had already beaten them 3 times during the season in the final four, all that matters is who is best that day.

Dawn is a bit too sensitive and appears to suffer from a need for external validation. I can remember that in 1995 a lot of LV fans bitterly commented that UConn played a cupcake schedule and that was the only reason they were undefeated.

Mel Greenberg has been one of the best friends wcbb has had in the media for a long time.

Agreed. That's Tourney basketball for you. What the heck, Louisville did UCONN a favor by knocking off Baylor when Baylor looked unbeatable.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Don't know the tweet--- but Dawn is right. Her team is the champion-- period. Mel should just let it go. There is no reason for anyone in the media to downplay their title. Okay for fans.
Although Greenberg works for The Philadelphia Inquirer, what he writes on Twitter does not represent the newspaper and is not journalism. So Greenberg is not acting in the capacity of a member of the media when he tweets. This may seem like a minor point...unless you're a journalist.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
You say denigrate, I say tell the truth. Morgan William was benched for "lack of energy" as were a "few others" according to their own coach. To pretend that team wasn't emotionally and mentally spent after winning what any other day would be considered a title game is to ignore reality. Nobody can take away USC's title, but that doesn't mean the facts should be buried to prevent hurt feelings. What on earth is Staley doing worrying about what someone on Twitter thinks anyway?

Probably because it was Mel Greenberg. As far as USC vs. Mississippi State, we play them at least once a year, usually more, and I can't remember the last time they beat us. People forget that we had already beaten them twice last year. I'm sure Dawn will try and use it as motivation for her team.

Reaction Score
Stewie played 7 minutes and played like a freshman. Baylor won by single digits in this game. Uconn was a different team after Notre Dame won their only Big East Tournament Title in 2013. Uconn lost 3 games to ND by 12 points total and then Uconn led by Stewie won by 18 in the semi-finals! Uconn crushed Louisville but IMO it would not have mattered who they played for a NC Including Baylor! Uconn wins NC!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom