Dawn Staley feeling disrespected | The Boneyard

Dawn Staley feeling disrespected

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Dawn's not happy with the notion that MSS was out of it emotionally and perhaps physically in the title game last year after beating the Huskies. South Carolina may have beaten the Bulldogs anyway, but it's not unfair to point out the obvious. Anyway, apparently God was behind South Carolina's glorious run too.

Reaction Score
Dawn's not happy with the notion that MSS was out of it emotionally and perhaps physically in the title game last year after beating the Huskies. South Carolina may have beaten the Bulldogs anyway, but it's not unfair to point out the obvious. Anyway, apparently God was behind South Carolina's glorious run too.

Some UCONN fans might say it-- but who else said it?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

I didn't know GOD was a Gamecock fan. I always thought he was a staunch UConn fan!!! :eek: Have I been misinformed??

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

Pure silliness Dawn. Give the phone back to Coach P.

Reaction Score
If you watch the final four you know that MS had an emotional overtime buzzer beaten win over the number 1 ranked team, of course that effected their performance the very next game. Would SC have beaten them anyway, most likely, but it still don’t take away the sentiment of a let down after an emotional performance. We all acknowledge SC being the 2017 champs (even though it is a little hard to swallow watching a team you beat by double digits hold up the trophy ).

Reaction Score
Last year when the Tourney draws came out, I noticed that USC had the easiest run to the elite eight and only one tough team to beat for the final four ND or Standford.

I do think that Miss.St looked tired but Uconn looked tired during the Miss. St. game. so... it was the same for everyone.

USC won the title. They deserve the praise. I guess you can still celebrate last season while you are in a new season.
Be careful though. Uconn is not living in the past. They are ham and egg-ing it through the top teams. If USC keeps looking back they won't see the train barrelling towards them. See you in Feb. Dawn/A'ja/Cliney and Jennings.

Reaction Score
I didn't know GOD was a Gamecock fan. I always thought he was a staunch UConn fan!!! :eek: Have I been misinformed??

If god is responsible for the win against Mss--who is responsible for those losses to CT?/ In another place at another time blasphemy would be the charge. The next time USC plays Connecticut--will her players be running or kneeling??

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Don't know the tweet--- but Dawn is right. Her team is the champion-- period. Mel should just let it go. There is no reason for anyone in the media to downplay their title. Okay for fans.

He was making a point about another situation---Tennessee's win over ODU after the Monarchs defeated a favored Stanford in '97---and happened to mention last year's tourney in the process.

Nobody suggested the Gamecocks didn't win the title---that would be hard to do. If people want to ignore their parted sea--biblical reference for Dawn--path to it, so be it, but that doesn't make it any less a fact.

Reaction Score
He was making a point about another situation---Tennessee's win over ODU after the Monarchs defeated a favored Stanford in '97---and happened to mention last year's tourney in the process.

Nobody suggested the Gamecocks didn't win the title---that would be hard to do. If people want to ignore their parted sea--biblical reference for Dawn--path to it, so be it, but that doesn't make it any less a fact.

Great image, Slu: "parted-sea path to it [the championship]." A few short words say it all. Kudos.

Reaction Score

What was the point of going over what happened in 1997 and comparing it to now? Why denigrate what Tenn did or USC? They won. The reason they won was that they were better that day. Right? I don't want to hear the babble about UCONN winning their 1st title during Stewie's frosh year because Baylor was out, so I can understand why Dawn doesn't want to hear the same.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
What was the point of going over what happened in 1997 and comparing it to now? Why denigrate what Tenn did or USC? They won. The reason they won was that they were better that day. Right? I don't want to hear the babble about UCONN winning their 1st title during Stewie's frosh year because Baylor was out, so I can understand why Dawn doesn't want to hear the same.

You say denigrate, I say tell the truth. Morgan William was benched for "lack of energy" as were a "few others" according to their own coach. To pretend that team wasn't emotionally and mentally spent after winning what any other day would be considered a title game is to ignore reality. Nobody can take away USC's title, but that doesn't mean the facts should be buried to prevent hurt feelings. What on earth is Staley doing worrying about what someone on Twitter thinks anyway?

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Well, today I learned that (a) God doesn't make mistakes, and therefore (b) God wants UConn to dominate women's basketball.

Thanks for the validation, Dawn!

Reaction Score
You say denigrate, I say tell the truth. Morgan William was benched for "lack of energy" as were a "few others" according to their own coach. To pretend that team wasn't emotionally and mentally spent after winning what any other day would be considered a title game is to ignore reality. Nobody can take away USC's title, but that doesn't mean the facts should be buried to prevent hurt feelings. What on earth is Staley doing worrying about what someone on Twitter thinks anyway?

Again -- why is he reliving this? What is it going to prove? And if you are Dawn why do you want to hear anyone put down her team's success in such a way? So yeah- it IS denigrate. What's the purpose of throwing it in her face? If you feel you have been "denigrated" as Dawn has, then there is nothing wrong with her snapping back. How would us Husky fans like it if a national writer throws the caveat of denigrating what Stewart did with her 4 titles because title number 1 she didn't have to go through Baylor/ Griner? If many of us Husky fans would tell the writer to just shut up about that, why can't Dawn say "shut up" to this writer?

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
What's all this talk about God?
Geno is God.
I know because I saw it in the window at the stereo repair store in East Hartford.
And Jesus is my plumber. His brothers name is Jaime.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Again -- why is he reliving this? What is it going to prove? And if you are Dawn why do you want to hear anyone put down her team's success in such a way? So yeah- it IS denigrate. What's the purpose of throwing it in her face? If you feel you have been "denigrated" as Dawn has, then there is nothing wrong with her snapping back. How would us Husky fans like it if a national writer throws the caveat of denigrating what Stewart did with her 4 titles because title number 1 she didn't have to go through Baylor/ Griner? If many of us Husky fans would tell the writer to just shut up about that, why can't Dawn say "shut up" to this writer?

He isn't reliving it, he mentioned it in passing. And how is he throwing it in her face? He didn't call her up and give his opinion. Does she normally follow Mel Greenberg's twitter feed? Or did someone, perhaps a fan, see it and inform her knowing she would respond?

If people want to say UConn only won in '13 because Baylor went down, let em. All the stats show UConn was basically on par with Baylor prior to Stewart's transformation in the tourney. UConn had 6 players on that roster that were or would be All-Americans. Baylor had 2.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
There’s some pretty defective theology going on there.

Reaction Score
UConn should have done their job and MSU would have been watching from the stands and in their feelings
They played over the expectations we had all year, but the better team won that night. If we played our A game it would have been different.

Reaction Score
She was responding to a tweet from writer Mel Greenberg, longtime women's basketball writer.
Screen Shot 2017-12-09 at 10.55.07 PM.png

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
They played over the expectations we had all year, but the better team won that night. If we played our A game it would have been different.
MSU ran up on a team that matched up well with them... UConn did have the height to match MS big girl and Geno knew that all season.

Reaction Score
The nature of one and done tournaments is that there are upsets and the ultimate winner, while justifiably crowned the champion may or may not be considered the strongest team. The strongest team doesn't always win the tournament. Like Geno told his team before playing a team that had already beaten them 3 times during the season in the final four, all that matters is who is best that day.

Dawn is a bit too sensitive and appears to suffer from a need for external validation. I can remember that in 1995 a lot of LV fans bitterly commented that UConn played a cupcake schedule and that was the only reason they were undefeated.

Mel Greenberg has been one of the best friends wcbb has had in the media for a long time.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom