OT: - Dawn is leaving the USA NT team? | The Boneyard

OT: Dawn is leaving the USA NT team?

Reaction Score
703DE6A9-D0AD-4A19-B87D-133549B97F35.jpeg

Wow! If this is true, I’m surprised. who would be the next coach?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
There’s a lot of pressure to be the HC of the US national team in a sport where you’re never supposed to lose to anyone. It’s also a really big commitment of time. Congratulations to Dawn for maintaining the legacy of USWBB. Now she can go back to her day job at SC.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
I believe history shows that the womens team has always been coached by a college coach with the pros as assistants. This could just be a coincidence, but the U16, U17, and U19 are all led by college coaches, so this could be the plan by USA basketball. If they do go to a pro coach, I completely support Cheryl.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Will Dawn stay on for the World Cup next year in Australia? Callan stepping down too. A lot of changes.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Will Dawn stay on for the World Cup next year in Australia? Callan stepping down too. A lot of changes.
Not sure about Dawn and I guess that may depend on whether Sue / DT might go for it.

On the other hand, with the way Australia is in complete lockdown, I would not expect them to host anything international for the foreseeable future.

Reaction Score
Several BYers including myself questioned some of her decisions, especially with substitutions, but in the end the team jelled very well, the game plan was solid in design and execution, she figured out who to play, and there was good team chemistry. I give Dawn a lot of credit for being steady at the helm for that. There were a lot of issues as to the team composition itself and that showed up at various times and you can't really fix that, but they won convincingly.

Whoever the new coach is, the issue will be the backcourt. Like a lost love, we will miss D ( I don't know that her body can hold up for Paris) and Sue most when they are gone.

I tried to read very article about them this morning that I could. There are just so many layers of experience, triumphs and trials between the 2 of them together and separately that we will never see the likes of them again. Paige and Azzi have a long way to go to get into that conversation but it will begin this season with them. Best friends may be best teammates once again. Geno is right about Sue and Bird. They probably are the greatest teammates ever in any sport. Our next national coach has to fill a huge void.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Dawn Staley has announced she will not be coaching the USA women's Olympic team in 2024. “Me being a part of six (gold medals)... that's enough. I'm full.

1628430305814.jpeg

“Challenge accepted.”​

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

Callan's stepping down crossed my mind after reading about Dawn Staley saying "no more Olmpics."

Since Ms. Callan is theoretically top dog, does one hire the head first and "work down" so to speak?
Or, given the proximity of the World Cup, does one address the HC slot first to keep continuity? And is that continuity one more run by Dawn as HC or do you have Cheyl Reeve perhaps step up for the WC in a kind of tryout. (On the other hand, she ran the team a lot during the pandemic....).

Lots of changes. No so much time. The good news for whomever takes over: Griner, Stewie and Wilson will be there (knock on wood).

Reaction Score
Like many here, I have enjoyed poking fun at Dawn over the years as an opposing coach, and have even been a genuine Staley doubter at times. But she sure proved me wrong during these Olympics, Her game plan against an undersized Japanese team, and her substitution patterns during the game itself, were absolutely magnificent.

She deserves the relief that will surely come from stepping down from what must be one of the most enormous responsibilities and undertakings in all of coaching. Congratulations Dawn!

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
The game plan was perfect...as is Dawn's recommendation for future coach.
Dawn had a lot of help with planning with Cheryl, Dan and Jennifer.

And w/o being in any way disparaging to Dawn, it is impossible to know, who actually did what.

I goes without saying that she had the assistance and accumulated wisdom of two of the most experienced and successful pro coaches.; getting the best out of players whose virtues they were intimately acquainted with.

Surely, one sensed a quite reserved sub pattern in the final with a whole lot of D...and for very good reason; her control of the team was magnificent...in the 2nd half, when things mattered, she seemed even a bit more relaxed than Sue, when it came to handling the attempted press.

Great that her hip didn't act up like in the previous game.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
I believe Van Chancellor was the last pro coach of the team; he obviously had coached in pros, but was much more known for his work with the Houston Comets at that points.

Cheryl Reeve is a no brainer as the next coach.

Reaction Score
Dawn says she doesn’t want to be back. But if the committee wants her back she’d be back.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Dawn says she doesn’t want to be back. But if the committee wants her back she’d be back.
I’m not so sure about that.

Reaction Score
dawn may lose much of her recruiting advantage if she is not head coach. how many of her recruits anticipated a relationship with the olympic head coach?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I don't think there is a committee that makes W/MNT head coach decisions. That would be leadership of USA Basketball, National Team Director and CEO.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom