DavidNaples-like exhibition games stat analysis | The Boneyard

DavidNaples-like exhibition games stat analysis

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
I realize that Geno uses these games to experiment but some stats are worth discussing.

1. Makurat got 14 rebounds. Adebayo got 12 in a lot fewer minutes. If Makurat can continue rebounding at near this pace it is a huge plus. I think it is going to take Adebayo time to get comfortable. I hope she is patient and eventually gets her chance to proof herself worthy of being brought in.

2. Everything looks the same with Kyla except for the first time she is consistently (so far) knocking down threes. Does it earn her more time during the season? One can only hope.

3. 26/43 from the line. The stat sticks out because it is so out of character.

4. The stats don't show it but Molly missed at least 2 breakaway layups. No matter how good she looked (and overall she play well), missed breakaways tend to stick in a coaches mind.

5. The stat sheet will look weird eventually if and when Liv has a made three next to her name. Geno predicted she would make at least two this year. Talking about working to develop an all-around game...

5. CW is 11/24 in two games. Watching these two games, I wonder (and the board will hammer me for it) if she did too much this summer. Megan, in comparison, looks fresh and fit. Liv kind of disproves my own point because she did almost as much but looks active. CW needs to be a consistent top 2 or 3 scorer and play near the level of defense that Geno wants.

6. Crystal Dangerfield took 19 shots. My guess is that Geno wants her to average more than 10 shots a game. She needs to shoot well from 3.

I am not Naples, but at least this is something to chew on heading to Sunday.

Last edited:

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
I approve of the above stats...! :)

I would add:
* Anna played the most minutes of any Husky - almost 60 minutes
* Aubrey shot 69.2% from the field (9-13)
* Kyla went 5-6 from three-point range in two games.
* Megan took 16 free throws, Crystal only 2.
* In the 2nd quarter of the two games, UConn shot 28-38 or 73.6%. :D
* In the two 4th quarters, UConn was 10-32 or 31%. :eek:

Go Huskies..!!

Last edited:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Good numbers. Geno talked about it in the post game presser in the 2nd game - no point in running layup drills like they did in the first half - we know the defense can lead to offense, so he wanted to run half court stuff. Obviously it left much to be desired, but he did not seem frustrated - just that they had a lot of stuff to go over and that it would be a work in progress...

He was very upbeat about both Aubrey and Anna. Did mention that sometimes they look great, and sometimes lost, but that even when they are confused, they try to do the things they are good at and simplify.

Either he's mellowing out, or he realizes this team will respond better in general to positive reinforcement rather than biting criticism. I'm sure he reserves that for Christyn, Meg and Crystal.

He also mentioned how hard it will be for Olivia - he was asked what will happen if she gets into foul trouble, and he said "likely we will lose". He said it's hard for her to go from a role player position to now being told she will have to play a lot of minutes, be relied on for lots of defense, and need to do it without fouling.

Reaction Score
I realize that Geno uses these games to experiment but some stats are worth discussing.

1. Makurat got 14 rebounds. Adebayo got 12 in a lot fewer minutes. If Makurat can continue rebounding at near this pace it is a huge plus. I think it is going to take Adebayo time to get comfortable. I hope she is patient and eventually gets her chance to proof herself worthy of being brought in.

2. Everything looks the same with Kyla except for the first time she is consistently (so far) knocking down threes. Does it earn her more time during the season? One can only hope.

3. 26/43 from the line. The stat sticks out because it is so out of character.

4. The stats don't show it but Molly missed at least 2 breakaway layups. No matter how good she looked (and overall she play well), missed breakaways tend to stick in a coaches mind.

5. The stat sheet will look weird eventually if and when Liv has a made three next to her name. Geno predicted she would make at least two this year. Talking about working to develop an all-around game...

5. CW is 11/24 in two games. Watching these two games, I wonder (and the board will hammer me for it) if she did too much this summer. Megan, in comparison, looks fresh and fit. Liv kind of disproves my own point because she did almost as much but looks active. CW needs to be a consistent top 2 or 3 scorer and play near the level of defense that Geno wants.

6. Crystal Dangerfield took 19 shots. My guess is that Geno wants her to average more than 10 shots a game. She needs to shoot well from 3.

I am not Naples, but at least this is something to chew on heading to Sunday.
Great stuff as usual. No hammer on CW . It was my concern that both CW and ONO were playing too much and too long this summer. FACT---the more often you play the closer you are to an injury--per a Uconn orthopedic MD. Seems like common sense.
The upside is she got to play against top talent whom she may see again this year. I still don't like it.
I'm a big Walker fan (Chesterfield, Va) and a big big CW fan. I think either will at times take over certain games, Ono has the potential, as does the new kid Aubrey. Uconn is not without talent only GENO type of experience or chemistry (at this moment)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom