David Coggins | The Boneyard

David Coggins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Sounds like he's a very nice kid...or comes from a very nice family....

Reaction Score
This is too bad. Seems like from the article Dave Coogins wasn't involved in this situation at all, but may have to pay a price for it. Doesn't seem though like it would end up being too long of a penalty if it does come to it. I wish him well, and hope this is only a small bump in the road for the kid.

Reaction Score
Scholarship football players. It's a crazy business.

FWIW - UConn has a kid lined up for a scholarship from this school:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...school-football-virtual-powerhouse/index.html

There's a guy in the NFL, that had a hollywood movie made about him and how scholarship football got him out of a Memphis gutter.

Football is a toe the line business, and your rep on you go about your business is all you got, and people will go to all kinds of lengths around that reputation. See Penn State.

To my knowledge, this thing got stopped before any money actually changed hands, and that will be a good thing for the people and school systems directly involved, (not the kids - theres' nothign good about this for them)

also it's questionable if anybody really knew they were crossing any lines in the rules, but no matter how that turns out, a coach's rep is now tainted , and a couple kids are looking for places to play football with school starting in a bout a week or so.

Unfortunate situation for the players, and you just hope they're in school somewhere, and playing the game they love as soon as possible.

A little comment to change the direction of this thing and get away from the kids, all I can say, is that for all his faults, I have to wonder what things would be like would be in the NVL if JC had gotten a job in one of the Waterbury publics HS system.

I always marveled at how people seem to think that the things that happen around big time football are foreign to Connecticut. We just haven't had a nationally prominent college football program in state for a long, long time.

Reaction Score
it seems like Coggins was damned if he did, damned if he didn't. either take the money and break some B-S rule, or don't take the money and not be able to get his transcripts. schools shouldn't be able to hold transcripts hostage in the first place. whether the school is paid or not, the kid took the classes and got the grades he got.

Reaction Score
I played under Rob Plasky and hes one of the biggest 's around. This isn't the first time hes gotten caught up in a legal mess involving peoples money.

Reaction Score
I played under Rob Plasky and hes one of the biggest 's around. This isn't the first time hes gotten caught up in a legal mess involving peoples money.

From a neutral observer point of view, it seems that Plasky doesn't have a much a middle ground when it came to supporters and detractors, and yes, this won't be the first time he's been out of his job at Naugatuck, and had to answer questions about handling money, and I wouldn't be surprised if after the questions are answered this time around, that he is right back where he resigned from, and the divide between the Hatfields and McCoys in the valley will only be deeper.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Again, my main question is how does this affect the player's eligibility?

Also, I agree that schools shouldn't be able to hold transcripts hostage. On a similar note, my parents had to take legal action against a doctor's office who tried to do the same thing with Mom's medical records when she wanted to switch doctors. They had no right to withhold them but did until the courts intervened. Pure BS.

Reaction Score
The bigger question is whether this impacts his offer from BCU or other schools. Remember, Coggins didn't play much at all last year due to injury and now will not be eligible to play his Sr. year of HS. If he showed well in camp BCU may be comfortable with him, but many schools would balk at a 4 year scholly for a kid who hasn't played in 2 years. Don't be surprised if BCU requests that he do a year of prep school.

As far a college eligibility, it may keep him out of a game or two and some practices, but that is not a big deal for a freshman WR who wouldn't see much PT.

Reaction Score
The school was withholding the transcripts because they owed money. I thought that was pretty much standard operating procedure. I don't think its right, but I don't see where Sacred Heart is being horrible either. That the coach took it upon himself to pay money for his own self serving purposes is the real issue.

Reaction Score
The school was withholding the transcripts because they owed money. I thought that was pretty much standard operating procedure. I don't think its right, but I don't see where Sacred Heart is being horrible either. That the coach took it upon himself to pay money for his own self serving purposes is the real issue.

i know it is with colleges, and i get why they need leverage to get their bills paid, but it seems really unethical at the high school level. they could theoretically prevent a kid from graduating high school. how is it ever right for a high school to actively prevent a kid from getting his diploma? how can they call themselves educators?

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
That's the best question I've heard about this topic so far.

dave for a while was very nice to me talking recruiting so i want to be very respectable to him back with this situation so i havn't asked him about it or anything. i wish the best for him and hope he is all set to play bcs fball next fall.

but the uconn fan in me can't wait for this to be answered which it prob won't. if this was some recruit from elsewhere that wasn't very nice to me and the media i would have pounded this thru the bc fan base to be honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom