Darnold to the Panthers | The Boneyard

Darnold to the Panthers

Reaction Score
Darnold to Carolina for a 6th round pick in 2021 and their 2nd/4th rd picks in 2022.

Basically a dump of the overall #3 pick for a bag of hot garbage in draft picks. I don't know what Joe Douglas' plan is....but he sure hasn't looked all that bright so far.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Darnold to Carolina for a 6th round pick in 2021 and their 2nd/4th rd picks in 2022.

Basically a dump of the overall #3 pick for a bag of hot garbage in draft picks. I don't know what Joe Douglas' plan is....but he sure hasn't looked all that bright so far.
Apparently the plan is to draft BYU’s Zach Wilson with the second pick this year:

Reaction Score
Apparently the plan is to draft BYU’s Zach Wilson with the second pick this year:

I mean more globally. They picked up Corey Davis, Tevin Coleman and Keelan Cole on offense. None are game breakers. They had 68m in cap space. They shored up their defense some. It just doesn't look like Douglas is in any rush to change the makeup of the roster....outside what seems to be a good hire in Saleh and cutting bait on the former #3 pick overall for nothing.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I mean more globally. They picked up Corey Davis, Tevin Coleman and Keelan Cole on offense. None are game breakers. They had 68m in cap space. They shored up their defense some. It just doesn't look like Douglas is in any rush to change the makeup of the roster....outside what seems to be a good hire in Saleh and cutting bait on the former #3 pick overall for nothing.
I like his strategy. He isn't throwing money at free agents just because he can. It's obvious he is counting on the draft and looking long term. High priced free agents and Darnold wasn't going to get them into the playoffs this year or next...so time to strip it down. Two good drafts and a reset QB salary will position the Jets to be solid long term. Hopefully that means cap room to keep solid players and add pieces to get them to the next level.

I know Jets fans are tired of rebuilds...but I think this is the best option. I like Darnold...and I hope he does well...but I am ok with moving on from him and going with Wilson. I just hope the scouts are right on Wilson.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score

Davis that cheaply is a nice deal.

Good play action receiver.

Get Wilson and the ok st tackle to protect him and move on from round 1

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Then send him packing in 3 years for another shiny new toy?

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
Then send him packing in 3 years for another shiny new toy?
So....they are the Jets....so whatever path they take will blow up on them...but sticking with Darnold....hoping he improves and passing on Wilson is a lot of risk when you consider Darnold is at the end of his rookie contract.

But...as I said....they better be right about Wilson.

the Q

Reaction Score
So....they are the Jets....so whatever path they take will blow up on them...but sticking with Darnold....hoping he improves and passing on Wilson is a lot of risk when you consider Darnold is at the end of his rookie contract.

But...as I said....they better be right about Wilson.

You can say that about every org that takes a QB high in the draft

Reaction Score
I'm not at all afraid of Darnold coming back to bite the Jets for this decision. I just don't think he's that good. You can put all the blame you want on Gase. You can point to his lack of weapons or an OL. At the end of the day, he was last in virtually passing category possible and a LOT of that is on Darnold. He makes bad decisions and doesn't look comfortable in the flow of an offense. He had 9 passing TD's last year and 4 of those were in the last 3 games. He was awful all year long.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
You can say that about every org that takes a QB high in the draft
Not every organization just traded away the #3 pick from 3 years ago because they are counting on a college QB.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Wilson looks like a stud. But then people thought Darnold was good. Gase can ruin anybody. It was a tough situation for the Jets. Give Darnold another year, and if he is just ok, you win enough not to had a high draft pick you can use to replace him. And pretty soon you have to resign him.

I can't fault them for this move. I do think it's a good deal for Carolina.

the Q

Reaction Score
Wilson looks like a stud. But then people thought Darnold was good. Gase can ruin anybody. It was a tough situation for the Jets. Give Darnold another year, and if he is just ok, you win enough not to had a high draft pick you can use to replace him. And pretty soon you have to resign him.

It’s the equivalent to a 3, 5 and a 6 this year. So it’s not a huge haul. Maybe a late 2 equivalent?

Reaction Score

I'll say this. Darnold turned the ball over in college. He turned it over in the pros. At the end of the day, you can't give the ball away. I do think that was a huge part of his lack of success to this point.

Reaction Score
This Jets fan trusts Joe Douglas and his long term approach to building the team. I like Darnold and I think he may do very well in Carolina but Joe Douglas sees him every day and clearly didn't like something. Obviously a career defining move for Douglas, I hope he is right. I like the way Zach Wilson sees the whole field and never seems locked into one guy. He also moves the safety with his eyes which is advanced stuff for a QB. I just hope his body holds up to the beating he is about to take. Wilson is not a big guy.

Reaction Score
You'd be surprised. I saw this online and was shocked.

Dak Prescott: 6'2", 235, age 27
Zach Wilson: 6'3", 209, age 21

Reaction Score
What are you surprised about?
metsfan2323 mentioned Wilson was "not a big guy". In a few years, he'll be the same size as a Dak who people would generally consider a good sized NFL QB.

Lamar Jackson is 6'2", 212. Mahomes is 6'3", 230. Deshaun Watson is 6'2", 215.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
metsfan2323 mentioned Wilson was "not a big guy". In a few years, he'll be the same size as a Dak who people would generally consider a good sized NFL QB.

Lamar Jackson is 6'2", 212. Mahomes is 6'3", 230. Deshaun Watson is 6'2", 215.
Ah ok. Yeah...his size doesn't concern me. Would be nice if he was bigger, but he will be fine.

Reaction Score
I can't believe Douglas got a 2nd for Darnold, and one that'll likely be a Top 40 pick. Gase is an awful coach, but Darnold is simply a bad QB. Bad at pre-snap reads, bad at seeing the field, poor pocket presence. Mentally he just doesn't have what it takes to be an NFL QB.

Maybe with Cafe he can live off play-action and simply reads like Mayfield did this past season, but he's never going to be a good QB.

Reaction Score
Jets fans should be glad they aren't in a position to draft Lawrence. He's made clear he doesn't worship football, as Tom Brady does.

Props to Lawrence. Don't blame him one bit.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
Jets fans should be glad they aren't in a position to draft Lawrence. He's made clear he doesn't worship football, as Tom Brady does.

Props to Lawrence. Don't blame him one bit.
That comment didn't bother me, but I am curious to see how Lawrence turns out versus Wilson.

Reaction Score
That comment didn't bother me, but I am curious to see how Lawrence turns out versus Wilson.
You bet front offices gets bothered by such mentalities. Problem here is this dude is a QB and an excellent one.

I won't be surprised if Wilson has a longer career. The Jaguars might have to build Lawrence his own private chapel to keep him around for as long as possible. He definitely isn't joining a monastery.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom