Dario Highsmith-Middletown HS | The Boneyard

Dario Highsmith-Middletown HS

Reaction Score
He is a Jr. He is this year's CT Gatorade Player of the Year. The Highsmith's are a well known almost legendary family in Middletown HS Football lore. Uncle Donald is one of University of New Haven's all time leading rushers during UNH's amazing run in mid to late nineties.

I hope the next coach takes a look at him. I found no Youtube highlights on him.

https://twitter.com/MHSBlueDragons/status/408613406112251904/photo/1/large

Reaction Score
How does Arkeel not win this award?
Exactly-ridiculous. Like when Jordan Todman wasn't even one of the TEN (10!!!!) finalists for the Doak Walker award. That made sense, too.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
He is the leader of the team and lead Middletown to the semi finals in class L and has accounted for almost 3500 yards of office plus he has very good grades and does a lot in the community. That is why is the Gatorade Player of the Year.
Yes I have seen him play a number of times and he will play on the BCS level after next year at either running back or corner.

With all of that said Arkeel is the best running back in the state and could have won just as easy.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
He is the leader of the team and lead Middletown to the semi finals in class L and has accounted for almost 3500 yards of office plus he has very good grades and does a lot in the community. That is why is the Gatorade Player of the Year.
Yes I have seen him play a number of times and he will play on the BCS level after next year at either running back or corner.

With all of that said Arkeel is the best running back in the state and could have won just as easy.

http://blog.ctnews.com/hssports/2013/12/05/did-arkeel-newsome-get-robbed-of-player-of-year-award/

C

Chief00

HS coaching politics aside, the Gatorade Player of the Year is about much more than on field accomplishment. Leadership, academics and community service all play a role. I have no idea how Arkeel vs, Dario match up against this other criteria, but we should not pretend it doesn't exist.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
HS coaching politics aside, the Gatorade Player of the Year is about much more than on field accomplishment. Leadership, academics and community service all play a role. I have no idea how Arkeel vs, Dario match up against this other criteria, but we should not pretend it doesn't exist.

I'm not taking anything away from Dario, he sounds like a great young man. But lets not blow the "other criteria" aspect up too much. The kid has a B average and helped some youth football kids, both very respectful and commendable. But, he's not a straight A student and building houses for the homeless. I have to think Arkeel's grades have to be similar seeing as how he'll get into UConn and from what I hear, he's just as "active in his community".

When you pull away everything else, this is an atheletic award more than a humanitarian award and Arkeel is, by far, the best football player in the state.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I'm not taking anything away from Dario, he sounds like a great young man. But lets not blow the "other criteria" aspect up too much. The kid has a B average and helped some youth football kids, both very respectful and commendable. But, he's not a straight A student and building houses for the homeless. I have to think Arkeel's grades have to be similar seeing as how he'll get into UConn and fromrthy but so is Arkeel what I hear, he's just as "active in his community".

When you pull away everything else, this is an atheletic award more than a humanitarian award and Arkeel is, by far, the best football player in the state.

He is in advance college classes and has done more than just the volunteered for midget football. I know he has done more with the youth in Middletown in tutoring younger kids and doing other things. He is a great kid from a great family. Like I said before he is worthy like Arkeel is.
One thing that bothered me in the article was how his stats pale compared to Arkeel's. Not sure how 2650 yards running and 895 yards passing pale to 3350 yards. Maybe that is common core math...
Again both players are deserving and I wish both could have gotten the award.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
He is in advance college classes and has done more than just the volunteered for midget football. I know he has done more with the youth in Middletown in tutoring younger kids and doing other things. He is a great kid from a great family. Like I said before he is worthy like Arkeel is.
One thing that bothered me in the article was how his stats pale compared to Arkeel's. Not sure how 2650 yards running and 895 yards passing pale to 3350 yards. Maybe that is common core math...
Again both players are deserving and I wish both could have gotten the award.

All good points, Bill. Lets say they're equally deserving. I still would have liked to see the record setting Senior get the award over a Junior.

Reaction Score
I'm not taking anything away from Dario, he sounds like a great young man. But lets not blow the "other criteria" aspect up too much. The kid has a B average and helped some youth football kids, both very respectful and commendable. But, he's not a straight A student and building houses for the homeless. I have to think Arkeel's grades have to be similar seeing as how he'll get into UConn and from what I hear, he's just as "active in his community".

I was surprised by this also but took a look at it. I want NO spitting match with anybody here and I can't wait for Arkeel to arrive. Having said that I could not find what he did on defense probably because after running 70 yards a clip, it was time for a blow.

Best football player can be a wide open opinion....Very subjective. Just like the Heisman is supposed to go to the best football player in the country but it always goes to a QB or RB.....Both only good if they have a line to protect or open a hole to get started. Dario did it all on both sides of the ball, just my opinion at this point in his progress, I would like to see him as a Huskie on D at the corner.....

http://www.courant.com/sports/high-...torade-football-1205-20131205,0,1205699.story

I am sure if Gatorade is willing to put their name on it they did the homework. Arkeel was obviously the best RB in the state, that does not make anyone the best overall player.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
I was surprised by this also but took a look at it. I want NO spitting match with anybody here and I can't wait for Arkeel to arrive. Having said that I could not find what he did on defense probably because after running 70 yards a clip, it was time for a blow.

Best football player can be a wide open opinion....Very subjective. Just like the Heisman is supposed to go to the best football player in the country but it always goes to a QB or RB.....Both only good if they have a line to protect or open a hole to get started. Dario did it all on both sides of the ball, just my opinion at this point in his progress, I would like to see him as a Huskie on D at the corner.....

http://www.courant.com/sports/high-...torade-football-1205-20131205,0,1205699.story

I am sure if Gatorade is willing to put their name on it they did the homework. Arkeel was obviously the best RB in the state, that does not make anyone the best overall player.

Agree on both points. I guess I remember growing up as a football player and always looking forward to the Gatorade/Parade awards. I remember being impressed by the very few underclassmen that were first team/POY. I've done some research on Dario since my first post in this thread and think he is more than worthy and hope that he has UCONN on his radar and vice versa. Those things being said, I still would have liked the Senior who continues to shatter records get the nod.

Reaction Score
Both players are worthy. Congrats to Dario Highsmith on the award. He's a talented young man. I'll venture a guess to say Arkeel Newsome cares more about winning his third straight state title, an unprecedented third straight state POY, and his third straight 1st team All-State selection (A feat that has only been accomplished by two players in CTHS history; former MLB manager Bobby Valentine and former Ansonia and Yale standout Alex Thomas). In addition to all the records he's broken, he could potentially finish the season as the nations leading rusher. He is currently second behind Elijah Hood. Both could potentially play two more games.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Both players are worthy. Congrats to Dario Highsmith on the award. He's a talented young man. I'll venture a guess to say Arkeel Newsome cares more about winning his third straight state title, an unprecedented third straight state POY, and his third straight 1st team All-State selection (A feat that has only been accomplished by two players in CTHS history; former MLB manager Bobby Valentine and former Ansonia and Yale standout Alex Thomas). In addition to all the records he's broken, he could potentially finish the season as the nations leading rusher. He is currently second behind Elijah Hood. Both could potentially play two more games.

True story.

Bobby Valentine dated my 7th grade science teacher when they were in high school. She asked him to come in and speak to our class, it was 1983 so he was probably in between playing for the Mariners and coaching the Rangers.

Anyway, I grew up a baseball junkie and loved science back then. I can still remember my teacher introducing Bobby V to our class and watching him walk in the room to speak to us. I was so excited when he shook my hand as he walked by my desk and on cloud nine when he made a joke about me "looking like a shortstop".

I don't remember much about what he said to me and my classmates but I do remember getting off the bus and telling my Dad about the entire thing.

My Dad smirked and said to me, "She must not be much of a science teacher. I thought they taught about a*ssholes in High School".

It wasn't until years later that I realized what a smart man my father is.

Reaction Score
GameTimeCT4:06pm via Facebook
Middletown’s Highsmith Jr. offered admission to Yale University #cthsfb fb.me/6xZ7lXoD3

>>Yale University has made an official offer of admission to Middletown High football star Dario Highsmith Jr.

Highsmith’s father, Dario Sr., and MHS football coach Sal Morello confirmed that over the weekend. Dario Jr. spoke with head football coach Tony Reno during which time Reno made the official offer, said his dad.“Coach Reno made a formal offer to Dario, but he did not commit,” said his dad. “He is keeping his options open, but he is very seriously considering Yale’s offer.” Morello said that Yale would very much like Highsmith, who will be a senior at MHS next season, to be a running back for the Bulldogs.<<

Reaction Score
GameTimeCT4:06pm via Facebook
Middletown’s Highsmith Jr. offered admission to Yale University #cthsfb fb.me/6xZ7lXoD3

>>Yale University has made an official offer of admission to Middletown High football star Dario Highsmith Jr.

Highsmith’s father, Dario Sr., and MHS football coach Sal Morello confirmed that over the weekend. Dario Jr. spoke with head football coach Tony Reno during which time Reno made the official offer, said his dad.“Coach Reno made a formal offer to Dario, but he did not commit,” said his dad. “He is keeping his options open, but he is very seriously considering Yale’s offer.” Morello said that Yale would very much like Highsmith, who will be a senior at MHS next season, to be a running back for the Bulldogs.<<
They'll never beat Harvard if they continue to go after Connecticut kids. ;^)

Reaction Score
I have to be honest with you. I would like to see UCONN recruit Dario as he is a special athlete and can play a few different positions

They are recruiting DH... Attended a spring practice the other day.

C

Chief00

If my memory serves me correctly Dario played DE in midget sometimes. He is a very athletic kid.

Reaction Score
I know Dario personally as I went to Middletown high as well (graduated last year). Obviously I'm biased but the kid is special. Tons of physical talent, solid bloodline, high football IQ, and very coachable. First one to the weight room/ practice, last one out.

I haven't talked to him recently, but have spoke with a mutual friend. He said Dario really likes Diaco and UConn is definitely high on his list. Dario's family really like Harvard, Yale, and BC because they put a huge priority in his academics.

Also just a note, one of Dario's best friends is 15' LB Isaiah Thompkins (listed at 6'0" 199, but more like 6'1" 215) who also a BCS level talent and is getting recruited by a couple of the same schools as Dario. I'm not sure if he has interest from UConn, but he has the talent.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1531208/isaiah-thompkins

Plays with a ton of passion and loves to hit people. Excellent dude on and off the field and in the classroom. I rowed crew with him too.

They may end up going to school together so thought I'd share. Hope to see them both in a UConn uniform in a couple years.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom