Dare we even talk about the winning streak? | The Boneyard

Dare we even talk about the winning streak?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
We all know the record. The longest winning streak ever recorded in Division 1 CBB history (men's or women's) is 90 games in a row by UConn from November 2008 through December 2010. The closest number to it in WCBB was 70, also earned by UConn from November 2001 through March 2003.

And of course, here we sit in 2016 with the new second-longest winning streak in WCBB history at 79 and counting. UConn won the last 37 games of 2014-15, all 38 games of 2015-16, and the first four games in 2016-17. A win over Chattanooga next Monday, if indeed the Huskies pull it off, gets UConn to 80 consecutive.

80 consecutive is amazing. No other WCBB program has come close to 80, and UConn will likely accomplish that twice. What's more, no other WCBB program has come close to 70, and UConn has done it three times already.

So the magic question lies right in front of us: dare we even think about 90 in a row?

Of course, we know the path to 90 is incredibly difficult. Let's say the Huskies do get to 80. The next 10 games after Chattanooga are fraught with peril:

Depaul
Texas
@Notre Dame
@Kansas State
Ohio State
@Nebraska
@Maryland
@UCF
ECU
USF

And finally, a win over SMU in Dallas would get UConn to 91.

Look, we're not there yet. This would be an extreme challenge. But to eclipse Maya, Tina, and Tiff in the process? That would be almost unfathomable.

Remember, Uconn has three 70+ game streaks, and no one else is close to one streak of 60. And now I'm even mentioning 80 and 90??? If you were wondering just how elite a WBB program UConn is, this is as sure a measure as we have.

Nothing is a done deal, but this is worth monitoring. Depending on how far Uconn goes, we may just witness history. We're witnessing some flavor of history already.

Of course, if we lose to Chattanooga Monday, I'm open to being drawn and quartered for even mentioning this.

To be continued...

Reaction Score
I don't expect to go undefeated in December, so I'll be happy with wherever it ends up knowing that Maya, Tina et al won't be surpassed - at least not this time.

Reaction Score
I think this team isn't looking at it as their winning streak. They are only going off this seasons streak which is at 4 right now. As geno always says this is not last season and he reminds the team to never look back, always forward.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Of course, if we lose to Chattanooga Monday, I'm open to being drawn and quartered for even mentioning this.

To be continued...
They are lining up already. There's Nan, front and center.

pitchforks-torches-mob.jpg

Reaction Score
I'm inclined to think it's premature.

But I'm absolutely sure of one thing. If we manage to beat DePaul (likely), Texas (likely) and ND (40%?), the Boneyard will be flooded with talk of the streak.

Reaction Score
If we somehow manage to beat Notre Dame in South Bend then we might want to
talk about the streak, but I have a bad feeling about the Maryland game in College
Park as well.

Last edited:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
We probably talk about it a lot more than the players do. Having said that, I would almost guarantee you that the players are at least aware of it. This is UCONN. We are the best of the best, and most all current players are aware of past players, accolades, accomplishments, streaks, etc. Still, if they talk about it all, I'm sure Geno and CD will put it all in perspective for them.

Reaction Score
I suspect the Maryland game will be a challenge (I will be there in person. This will be the first UCONN game I have attended - it helps when your daughter is on campus and can get tickets for you). However, since Maryland has not had any games against a worthy opponent yet those new pieces have not been challenged and it is impossible for me to get a feel for how good the Terrapins will be. Their toughest challenge before they play the Huskies is a game against Louisville in the ACC/B1G challenge. We will know more then.

Reaction Score
We all know the record. The longest winning streak ever recorded in Division 1 CBB history (men's or women's) is 90 games in a row by UConn from November 2008 through December 2010. The closest number to it in WCBB was 70, also earned by UConn from November 2001 through March 2003.

And of course, here we sit in 2016 with the new second-longest winning streak in WCBB history at 79 and counting. UConn won the last 37 games of 2014-15, all 38 games of 2015-16, and the first four games in 2016-17. A win over Chattanooga next Monday, if indeed the Huskies pull it off, gets UConn to 80 consecutive.

80 consecutive is amazing. No other WCBB program has come close to 80, and UConn will likely accomplish that twice. What's more, no other WCBB program has come close to 70, and UConn has done it three times already.

So the magic question lies right in front of us: dare we even think about 90 in a row?

Of course, we know the path to 90 is incredibly difficult. Let's say the Huskies do get to 80. The next 10 games after Chattanooga are fraught with peril:

Depaul
Texas
@Notre Dame
@Kansas State
Ohio State
@Nebraska
@Maryland
@UCF
ECU
USF

Look, we're not there yet. This would be an extreme challenge. But to eclipse Maya, Tina, and Tiff in the process? That would be almost unfathomable.

Remember, Uconn has three 70+ game streaks, and no one else is close to one streak of 60. And now I'm even mentioning 80 and 90??? If you were wondering just how elite a WBB program UConn is, this is as sure a measure as we have.

Nothing is a done deal, but this is worth monitoring. Depending on how far Uconn goes, we may just witness history. We're witnessing some flavor of history already.

To be continued...
I'm thinking your quartering won't be in the wake of the Chattanooga game. Just a thought! That would be one of the biggest upsets in the history of women's basketball, don't you think?

Reaction Score
I'm thinking your quartering won't be in the wake of the Chattanooga game. Just a thought! That would be one of the biggest upsets in the history of women's basketball, don't you think?
Hence the offer ...

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
It's silly to think that Boneyard chatter has any bearing on the win streak. Games are played on basketball courts, not message boards.

But posting and reading are harmless activities and sure are fun!:)

Reaction Score

Depaul
Texas
@Notre Dame
@Kansas State
Ohio State
@Nebraska
@Maryland
@UCF
ECU
USF

To be continued...
There is NO winning streak for this team--that streak belongs to the 2016 team and Geno.
The streak for this team is 4 wins!! Until Uconn gets past the OOC teams--ignore any streak --and ask yourself
WOULD YOU RATHER ADD ANOTHER NC (WITH OR WITHOUT LOSSES) OR WIN 91 IN A ROW????
THATS AN EITHER OR STATEMENT

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
There is NO winning streak for this team--that streak belongs to the 2016 team and Geno.
The streak for this team is 4 wins!! Until Uconn gets past the OOC teams--ignore any streak --and ask yourself
WOULD YOU RATHER ADD ANOTHER NC (WITH OR WITHOUT LOSSES) OR WIN 91 IN A ROW????
THATS AN EITHER OR STATEMENT
Exactly. What winning streak.

Reaction Score
I thought everybody here bought into a 2 to 5 loss season and we were all good with it. Now we're discussing 91 game win streaks? Very bad mojo! This season the goal should be getting to the F4.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Carnac sez...........The best way to extend to record to 91 games is to concentrate on the most important game on the schedule..................the next one, and NOT look ahead.
There have already been some upset losses this year, i.e. Texas, Tennessee, Ohio State, Stanford, Washington, Kentucky, etc. #20 Kentucky and #17 Tennessee lost to unranked teams (Colorado & Penn st. respectively). I don't want to be a killjoy on this, but I agree with bizarro aj. THIS team's winning streak is 4. That's the only streak they need to be concerned with at the moment.

Let's not look ahead an get caught in the "trap game" snare. Let's play 'em like they're gonna come, one at a time. If they take care of the business at hand, at some point the possibility of extending the program win streak to 91 will be right in front of them, and they can deal with it then. The Huskies have got some tall mountains to climb and concur long before they can begin to be concerned about winning streaks. The only thing the team should be concerned about right now, is their next opponent, Chattanooga, in 6 days at the XL Center. That's the most important game on their schedule.

Reaction Score
If we're still undefeated after the Notre Dame game, then maybe we could discuss this more.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Good gravy- Tough crowd.

You know what? If this streak even gets to 80, I'll be happy. It would mean uconn has done twice what no other program has come within a mile of doing once. And the Huskies have already done three times what no other program has come especially close to doing once.

I'll just enjoy the ride, wherever it may end...if indeed it ever ends at all.

Happy thanksgiving, everyone!

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
Alex - you are an honored veteran on this board so I am shocked, shocked I say, that you dare tempt the WE ARE DOOMED gods!

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Alex - you are an honored veteran on this board so I am shocked, shocked I say, that you dare tempt the WE ARE DOOMED gods!
Oh, we're obviously doomed this season. The only question is how far we go before doom arrives. I'm enjoying the hell out of it, regardless.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
Oh, we're obviously doomed this season. The only question is how far we go before doom arrives. I'm enjoying the hell out of it, regardless.

Me, too. Happy Thanksgiving.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog