Dara Mabrey | The Boneyard

Dara Mabrey

Reaction Score
you should know that I've been posting about DM on the Non-UConn news thread............if my memory is correct she's averaging about 17.5 points per game and is shooting over 65% from the field in VTech's four victories...............all against pretty weak competition..............we'll learn more about her soon but typically the better the competition the better she plays...................I would predict that she'll average between 12-15 points per game this year and will make the all-freshmen ACC team if they have such an award.........

Reaction Score
Why didn't ND offer Mabrey3?

as best I can understand it, they kind of did offer but only halfheartedly because she made it clear she wanted to go elsewhere and ND had their eyes on another guard......................if I'm wrong on this, let me know ND guys....................

Last edited:
Reaction Score
as best I can understand it, they kind of did offer but only halfheartedly because she made it clear she wanted to go elsewhere and ND had their eyes on another guard.......if you I'm wrong on this, let me know ND guys.....
I think I watched an interview of hers, and she said ND offered. However, she was like the 3rd or 4th option they had for PG. ND originally had Jenna Brown as their first PG, but then got Nixon after the decommittment. I thought that she could have easily been NDs PG. She is very talented. I have no clue how ESPN didn't have her as a top 100 plaayer

Reaction Score
I think I watched an interview of hers, and she said ND offered. However, she was like the 3rd or 4th option they had for PG. ND originally had Jenna Brown as their first PG, but then got Nixon after the decommittment. I thought that she could have easily been NDs PG. She is very talented. I have no clue how ESPN didn't have her as a top 100 plaayer

believe me she doesn't either and she kept it in mind every time she buried one of those ranked players when she played against them............forgetting about her skills, she's got a nasty attitude when she's on the court and is tough as nails............Geno could have done far worse.......

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
believe me she doesn't either and she kept it in mind every time she buried one of those ranked players when she played against them..forgetting about her skills, she's got a nasty attitude when she's on the court and is tough as nails..Geno could have done far worse..
Dara had her fan club on the ND board. Dillon especially, but I was pulling for her as well. I think the big ape was, too. We love our Mabreys. It doesn't seem right to have her at a different school.

Reaction Score
believe me she doesn't either and she kept it in mind every time she buried one of those ranked players when she played against them..forgetting about her skills, she's got a nasty attitude when she's on the court and is tough as nails..Geno could have done far worse..
From what I have read they did offer Her. She said She could’ve seen her self playing at ND but Virginia Tech felt like home. Plus I think she wanted to make her own mark and not live in Her 2 Sisters shadows who both have made their mark at ND. She has the same attitude of her two sisters. Ultra Competitive and gritty. When Marina plays You see the same type of attitude.

Reaction Score
Dara had her fan club on the ND board. Dillon especially, but I was pulling for her as well. I think the big ape was, too. We love our Mabreys. It doesn't seem right to have her at a different school.

frankly I'm glad she chose to go elsewhere as I will finally get to enjoy rooting for a Mabrey for a change..............;)

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Does a third sister have an advantage over her older sisters? Trying to play up to their level of competition her whole life despite the age difference. Certainly the case in the Samuelson clan. There's a younger McPhee that is in high school still, I think a Jr. this year.

Reaction Score
Does a third sister have an advantage over her older sisters? Trying to play up to their level of competition her whole life despite the age difference. Certainly the case in the Samuelson clan. There's a younger McPhee that is in high school still, I think a Jr. this year.
I think it does help.

Reaction Score
Kid can play. Real tough (like most of the South Jersey Shore League players). Smaller and quicker than her sisters and no quit in her. The Hokies got a good one with Dara.

Reaction Score
Her and Marina going up against each other will be interesting. I’m sure Marina will wanna have a game when they face each other.

depends what you mean...............she has said the expectations of following in the footsteps of her two bigger talented sisters had it's difficulties but toughened her up..................from a skills perspective she developed into a better ball handler and one on one player then either of them but is not quite the long range shooter although hardly a slouch

Reaction Score
I wish Stewie had a sister.
It would have been great if Stewie was one of three like KLS. Can you imagine a team with three Stewies and then Tuck and Mo? Every game would have been a 105-10 blow out. Or you could sub out one Stewie for another, and then all of the Stewies could have double doubles every game.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

Aw, c'mon...I'm going to start having "holiday depression" early with this thread. :oops: :rolleyes:

Charlie and I separately watched Dara Mabrey play in Jersey during her career and it was worth every road trip because the kid plays with grit, passion and a considerable amount of talent every time I see her.

Ultimately, Dara, her family, the ND and Va. Tech brain trusts are the ones that know what went into the discussions that led her not to go to South Bend. We do love our Mabreys on the Bench but as Orangutan and others have pointed out, she's getting immediate and considerable playing time for Kenny Brooks and the Hokies which is great; as opposed to getting bits and pieces for the Irish, who have three upper-class guards. (Ironically, with sister Marina recovering from a quad injury, frosh guards Jordan Nixon and Abby Prohaska are getting solid minutes so far this season).

I read somewhere that Mom Mabrey has put one of those half ND./half Va. Tech shirts for when ND visits Va. Tech this winter. I'll be rooting from Dara to let it rip in every other game but that one, when my allegiances will be firmly with older sis Marina and the Irish.

Reaction Score
Aw, c'mon...I'm going to start having "holiday depression" early with this thread. :oops::rolleyes:

Charlie and I separately watched Dara Mabrey play in Jersey during her career and it was worth every road trip because the kid plays with grit, passion and a considerable amount of talent every time I see her.

Ultimately, Dara, her family, the ND and Va. Tech brain trusts are the ones that know what went into the discussions that led her not to go to South Bend. We do love our Mabreys on the Bench but as Orangutan and others have pointed out, she's getting immediate and considerable playing time for Kenny Brooks and the Hokies which is great; as opposed to getting bits and pieces for the Irish, who have three upper-class guards. (Ironically, with sister Marina recovering from a quad injury, frosh guards Jordan Nixon and Abby Prohaska are getting solid minutes so far this season).

I read somewhere that Mom Mabrey has put one of those half ND./half Va. Tech shirts for when ND visits Va. Tech this winter. I'll be rooting from Dara to let it rip in every other game but that one, when my allegiances will be firmly with older sis Marina and the Irish.

Come on Dillon!!! Can't Dara score thirty points if ND still wins?

Reaction Score
I've been on record about her being the best all around player of the 3 sisters... I love her game! Hope she has an outstanding career!

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
It’s looking like Dara Mabrey could be better then both Her Sisters which is saying something. She’s been pretty impressive so far.

Imagine if Marina had went to a Virginia Tech or equivalent and had been a starter and primary scorer from day 1. She'd have some gaudy stats, too. I'm sure we all remember her outburst at UConn as a true freshman.

Dara has played USC Upstate (last year final Sagarin rating - 320 of 349), Georgia Southern (330), Liberty (147), Monmouth (306), and Chattanooga (129).

Marina just won a national championship. She had 25 pts and 9 assists in the comeback sweet 16 win over Texas A&M. Maybe we can pump the breaks on "Dara is the best Mabrey sister" stuff at least until she plays an ACC game?

I truly am rooting for Dara but 4 years of "Dara is the best of the sisters, why didn't ND recruit her?" is going to drive me nuts.

Imagine questioning Muffet & Niele on the subject of recruiting guards.

"Hey, I know you guys have 4 guards in the WNBA right now but is it possible you screwed up by prioritizing multiple McDonald's All-American and USA basketball team members at guard instead of Marina's kid sister"

As if Muffet and Niele didn't know everything there is to know about Dara...No one would care at all about some freshman guard at Virginia Tech producing decent numbers if it wasn't for her last name.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
From what I have read they did offer Her. She said She could’ve seen her self playing at ND but Virginia Tech felt like home. Plus I think she wanted to make her own mark and not live in Her 2 Sisters shadows who both have made their mark at ND. She has the same attitude of her two sisters. Ultra Competitive and gritty. When Marina plays You see the same type of attitude.

Kenny Brookes has a different attitude than Muffet and Geno. He's a bit lowered keyed. He gets on his players in practice but I've never seen him chew one out on the floor. He may never be in Muffets or Geno's category but those that play for him will enjoy the game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom