Dara Mabrey of ND helped off court with serious leg injury. | The Boneyard

Dara Mabrey of ND helped off court with serious leg injury.

Reaction Score
She was in a lot of pain. Looked like a lower leg injury.

Reaction Score
On replay I would say it was her knee.
Another acl injury. They don't stop.

Reaction Score
I think there are two injuries that very well could be season ending. We don’t know yet if they are.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I think there are two injuries that very well could be season ending. We don’t know yet if they are.
Not to detract from the thread but which players are you referring to?

Fingers crossed it's not a dreaded ACL for Mabrey...that'd be a tough way to go out, especially considering how good ND has been this year. Not much depth on their roster.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
I intensely dislike the Irish and I’m not very fond of most of their players, but it brings tears to my eyes to see an injury like this. She is no different from our young ladies, except for her poor judgement in team selection.
I wish her all the best and hope she is fully recovered and playing her best when UConn beats ND in the tournament.

Reaction Score
Not to detract from the thread but which players are you referring to?

Fingers crossed it's not a dreaded ACL for Mabrey...that'd be a tough way to go out, especially considering how good ND has been this year. Not much depth on their roster.
I think both Azzi and Caroline are question marks to return this year due to the nature of their injuries. Especially given how slow the return to play process is at UConn once you even been cleared.

Reaction Score
I have been thinking about all these injuries lately and wondering if it has to do with improper/over training in high school. Now more than ever before elite high school girls are working with individual trainers.....I wonder if some of these trainers aren't well versed in training growing female bodies and the end result is more and more injuries as these players reach the next level where the demands are higher. Essentially, the damage is done before they get to play college ball.

Reaction Score
I'm sorry to hear this news. No player should have to go through the sorts of injuries we've seen this year, no matter what team they're on. I hope to see you on the court again soon, Dara!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I have been thinking about all these injuries lately and wondering if it has to do with improper/over training in high school. Now more than ever before elite high school girls are working with individual trainers.....I wonder if some of these trainers aren't well versed in training growing female bodies and the end result is more and more injuries as these players reach the next level where the demands are higher. Essentially, the damage is done before they get to play college ball.
I think rather that it may be because of all the training they are doing, they jump higher, run faster with greater initial burst and better change of direction. And the traction of modern sneakers is better than the old chuck taylors as well. All that puts more strain on ankles knees and hips which can't be strengthened.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I was watching the game. Dara was driving for a lay-up and was challenged by a UVA defender. The moment she touched the floor, she was reaching for her knee. Purcell Pavilion went silent as Dara was helped to the locker room. She came back from the locker room in the 2nd haff with a brace and crutches to watch her teammates. I presume further testing will take place tonight/tomorrow.
Hope for the better for Dara who throws all her 5'7" self into her playing and Notre Dame.

Dara is close to one of ND's super sophs, Sonia Citron. With Dara out, Citron promptly hit her first 6 three-pointers, a very Mabrey-esque kind of shooting performance.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Hoping for the best for Mabrey. Although Mabrey has not shot the ball well this season (33% FG and 30% 3FG), she is an important piece of the offense. She is 2nd on the team in FGAs and 1st (by far) in 3FGAs. Despite her mediocre shooting this season, defenses still honor her reputation as a good shooter so she helps space the floor. Bransford doesn't shoot 3s so Citron will need to fill the void if Mabrey is out. Mabrey also serves as an extra ball-handler/back-up point guard. Ivey hasn't trusted Jenna Brown so far this season.

Reaction Score
Like others have stated, you hate to see anyone get injured. Hoping for the best for Dara.

Reaction Score
They could be back, but I don't think anyone knows as it all depends on how quickly their bodies are able to heal. Even Geno alluded to Azzi potentially not coming back this season. I think the team is likely operating as if its this 7/8 for the rest of the year and anything else is gravy.

Reaction Score
I am no doctor and will avoid speculation but that did not look good. Visually the motion appeared similar to Madison Greene’s injury in OSU’s game against South Florida.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Hate to see any player go down with a injury, especially one that ends their season. It's especially heartbreaking if it's a player in their final year of eligibility :( Hope its not as severe as it sounds (i didn't see the game)

Reaction Score
Hate to see any player go down with a injury, especially one that ends their season. It's especially heartbreaking if it's a player in their final year of eligibility :( Hope its not as severe as it sounds (i didn't see the game)
Nice look, triad... it's not one typically seen from Dookies.;)

Reaction Score
Agreed, triad, and all others here. I've not been a fan of the Mabreys over the years, but that's wholly meaningless when injuries arise. I also hope Dara is somehow able to come back this season. The Irish are a worthy challenge for anyone this year. Much as I root against ND, it's kinda good to have it back in the mix.

Reaction Score
I think both Azzi and Caroline are question marks to return this year due to the nature of their injuries. Especially given how slow the return to play process is at UConn once you even been cleared.

They could be back, but I don't think anyone knows as it all depends on how quickly their bodies are able to heal. Even Geno alluded to Azzi potentially not coming back this season. I think the team is likely operating as if its this 7/8 for the rest of the year and anything else is gravy.
If there's one person that knows it seems you're the one.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Whoa. Dara Mabrey had quite the run: She had started 135 of all the 135 games she's appeared in, at both Va. Tech and ND, according to Anthony Anderson the correspondent who covers ND WBB for the South Bend Tribune. (see link below).

You'll also see former UConn Husky, Mir McLean -- who is also injured -- greeting Mabrey after the game.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
You'll also see former UConn Husky, Mir McLean -- who is also injured -- greeting Mabrey after the game.
Good sports.
1674500712794.png

Dillon77

Reaction Score

Some follow-up here from a local writer. It's amazing just how many three's Dara Mabrey -- and her sisters -- have hit.

" (Dara) Mabrey made more 3-pointers in her career (301) than her older sisters Marina (274) and Michaela (288), who both played at Notre Dame. Michaela Mabrey has been an assistant coach for the Irish since 2019, and Marina Mabrey will be entering her fifth season in the WNBA, the last three of which she’s played for the Dallas Wings"

Alas, no more familiar shots of a Mabrey setting their legs and letting it rip. I've watched all three in both high school and college and can't believe I won't see a Mabrey between the lines in college any more. Best to Dara in her surgery and recovery and next steps, whatever they may be. If she continues to show the drive she always had, I'm sure she'll be fine.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom