Danny's move of the night. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Danny's move of the night.

Reaction Score
Anyting that stretches a defense and creates space is plus for a team. If Sanogo can hit that 3 from up top, it gives Hawkins more driving space. Butler really tried to take away the 3 ball from Jordan and they were effective much of the night.

Plus, unless I am misremembering, from the video I watched of him in high school, Karaban has some driving ability. When he gets stronger, I think we'll see more of this.

Newton, Alleyne, Joey and the rest will benefit if the other team's rim protector is pull out as well.

It's just another way your star player can affect the outcome of a game. He's smart. He knows his bread & butter is inside, but (and I don't mean to pick on Akok), but he's not going to turn into a guy who just sits at the 3 point line. He's underneath most of the time, but he's proving he can score at the other 2 levels as well.

Reaction Score
DH left Newton on the floor in spite of him not playing well the entire game. Definitely felt like DH was giving Newton positive time to work out his on-court issues.

Unfortuntely didn’t notice any improvement in Newtons game except for taking more shots. He runs the team at too slow a pace, turns the ball over too much, and telegraphs his passes.

I think (hope?) that like Alleyne he’ll get it going eventually. But right now it looks like everything about the game is moving too fast for him.

To make the Final Four we need him to be a UConn PG, not an East Carolina PG.
I could not agree more. I made the same point in another thread, and received 12 Dislikes for essentially making the same statement you made in your last sentence.

Reaction Score
Alleyne being put in the game after a slow start in his season was the most impactfull move of the night.

Reaction Score
I could not agree more. I made the same point in another thread, and received 12 Dislikes for essentially making the same statement you made in your last sentence.

Because it’s a dumb, meaningless statement. Yeah we’re never going to beat a Final Four caliber team like Alabama with Newton running the point. Oh right, we already drubbed them. Just like every other team they’ve played.

Reaction Score
Because it’s a dumb, meaningless statement. Yeah we’re never going to beat a Final Four caliber team like Alabama with Newton running the point. Oh right, we already drubbed them. Just like every other team they’ve played.
Fair response. To get to the Final Four you have to win 4 games against increasingly better, and hotter, teams. If Newton plays poorly AND the shooters are “off”, (like last night) can we lose? If it’s Houston, Alabama, etc then the answer is yes. Our shooters weren’t “off” when we played Alabama so we didn’t need Newton to be anything more than ok that day

Newton’s main job as PG is to get the ball to the other 4 players in a position where they can score. Get them an open look. His second job is to set the tempo. He plays a herky jerky slow game that’s ball bouncing dominant while the team wants to play fast, cut hard, etc.

Can and should UConn get to the Final Four with Newton playing this way at PG? Probably. Is it a lock? Only if he improves.

Reaction Score
We will see if 'Bama even gets close to the Final 4. Bottom line: Newton's shooting has been horrible as the competition has gotten more intense. Try to argue differently and you can't. At the beginning of the season he drove to the hoop many times and drew fouls. I can count on one hand the number of times he has done that in the last 5 games. He did that once against Butler and drew a Flagrant 1 from Ali.

I am sure that you hope he cures his shooting ills sooner than later, as I do. But then again, you like to post dumber and more meaningless statements here as well.

Reaction Score
Clearly a no, no, no, yes, don't ever do that again play. Sanogo's threes are a vanity project and sub-optimal for UConn's title prospects. His driving from the key is also negative expected value. It's fine against lesser opponents but you hope he has the good sense to not do that against top competition.

I would say given the moment; it was a poor decision that worked out. We'd be killing him had he missed.
But the vanity project is making 40% of his attempts this year.
You can argue small sample size but maybe the element of surprise helps get him open shots.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Time and score is a lost concept to a lot of you. Ask the MSU center if jacking 3s from that spot was a good idea in 2014
I know I was giddy every time he put ine up. Other coaches will feel the same with Sanogo in March regardless of how many he makes vs Gtown or any other regular season opponent.

Reaction Score
Time and score is a lost concept to a lot of you. Ask the MSU center if jacking 3s from that spot was a good idea in 2014
I know I was giddy every time he put ine up. Other coaches will feel the same with Sanogo in March regardless of how many he makes vs Gtown or any other regular season opponent.
GIF by KFC Malaysia

Reaction Score
His position is irrelevant. If he can make 3's he can make 3's. He's shooting 40% on the season with 20 shots. That's a good enough sample size to say he can make 3's. No one cares about positions anymore. Who cares that the MSU center couldn't make 3's in 2014. That's not relevant. There are plenty of centers in the NBA knocking down 3's.

Reaction Score
Adreian Payne shot 42% from 3 on 3.4 attempts per game in 2014. For some reason decided to attempt 10 against UConn though

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
You are operating under an obsolete paradigm.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
We will see if 'Bama even gets close to the Final 4. Bottom line: Newton's shooting has been horrible as the competition has gotten more intense. Try to argue differently and you can't. At the beginning of the season he drove to the hoop many times and drew fouls. I can count on one hand the number of times he has done that in the last 5 games. He did that once against Butler and drew a Flagrant 1 from Ali.

I am sure that you hope he cures his shooting ills sooner than later, as I do. But then again, you like to post dumber and more meaningless statements here as well.

Newton had another sneaky good foul he drew and it was another example of fouls he has drawn all season.

Butler scored and Jax got T'd up for the elbow in the back giving Butler back to back possessions and giving them some momentum. Crowd started getting in to it.

Next UConn possession Newton went left and forced a foul on Butler. It slowed the game down, forced the ref to blow the whistle and helped to try and rebalance fouls against each team. Newton has been very good at forcing refs to blow the whistle at key points in games to help stabilize flow and momentum.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Clearly a no, no, no, yes, don't ever do that again play. Sanogo's threes are a vanity project and sub-optimal for UConn's title prospects. His driving from the key is also negative expected value. It's fine against lesser opponents but you hope he has the good sense to not do that against top competition.

I would say given the moment; it was a poor decision that worked out. We'd be killing him had he missed.
I get a little suspicious when a post exhibits shifts in verb forms and pronouns in such a casually flexible manner.

Your first paragraph consisted of 4 sentences anchored in the passive verb "to be," with no defined subject. But then the last sentence closed with, "...you hope..." I do?

I don't necessarily hope what you offered, but it sounds as though you do.

Paragraph 2 gets closer to identifying your writing as your personal take, but slips back into passive voice, before closing with the conclusion, "We'd be killing him if..."

I don't know if that's true; I generally limit my killing to 'convenience eliminations' of bugs in the wrong place at the wrong time. But there's safety in numbers and "we" therefore can 'sound' better, and there's less personal accountability with the passive verb form, therefore many choose it as a safer, softer way to present a strong opinion.

At the time, I didn't form an opinion that it was a designed play. I wondered about the shot. Because it went in, it worked and is recorded as the kickoff to a dominant game close. I admit that it could have gone differently.

I do note that I'd already txted to my sister that Adama had gone to the hoop from both sides, used both shooting hands, used the backboard more, still displays a soft touch on baskets that don't go off the glass, has improved his FG & FT shooting, has shown power & quickness & finesse, had a nice assist, is dunking more, has been capable on breakaways, and made a mid-range shot. I noted all of these as improvements in his game.

We've had at least one thread that discussed the need for or lack of a dominant, take-the-game over player. I witnessed such a performance on Saturday, even though I see that the team is developing well without being star-dominant.

For now, I'm happy to see so many possibilities. If the team reverts to poorly-chosen shots on a widespread basis, I'll reconsider my opinion. For now, I liked seeing such a powerful final 10 minutes.
Newton had another sneaky good foul he drew and it was another example of fouls he has drawn all season.

Butler scored and Jax got T'd up for the elbow in the back giving Butler back to back possessions and giving them some momentum. Crowd started getting in to it.

Next UConn possession Newton went left and forced a foul on Butler. It slowed the game down, forced the ref to blow the whistle and helped to try and rebalance fouls against each team. Newton has been very good at forcing refs to blow the whistle at key points in games to help stabilize flow and momentum.
This is a well-known skill of his. I'd love to see it encouraged, if for no other reason than to build confidence in Tristen that he is the best on the team at this. Additional benefits are points scored via FT shooting, modeling his success for teammates, still retaining the options to dump-off or kickout. Once he's drawing fouls, the team success will grow. Go to the basket please.

EDIT: Ugh, this post is way too overstuffed and reflects post-surgery followup-evaluation (all good) brain. I don't disagree with what I wrote. I just don't have the whatever to edit.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score

^^ This is why I BY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom