Danny's move of the night. | The Boneyard

Danny's move of the night.

Reaction Score
Butler has all the momentum. And, coming out a time out, DH runs a play designed to get Sanogo a three from the top of the key. That is a very ballsie call. And Sanogo HITS IT!

No wonder Sanogo will run through a brick wall for his coach. Demonstrating that kind of belief in a player is the sort of thing that carries through a season. It sends a message not only to Sanogo but to the entire team. That is why they play so hard.

From that point on, they simply disposed of Butler. In truth, even if AS misses we probably still win. But that call at the time, it's the kind of move that really strengthens a bond. There is no faking at that point of the game. I thought it was awesome.

Reaction Score
Butler has all the momentum. And, coming out a time out, DH runs a play designed to get Sanogo a three from the top of the key. That is a very ballsie call. And Sanogo HITS IT!

No wonder Sanogo will run through a brick wall for his coach. Demonstrating that kind of belief in a player is the sort of thing that carries through a season. It sends a message not only to Sanogo but to the entire team. That is why they play so hard.

From that point on, they simply disposed of Butler. In truth, even if AS misses we probably still win. But that call at the time, it's the kind of move that really strengthens a bond. There is no faking at that point of the game. I thought it was awesome.
It certainly was a dagger. As Coach Hurley said post game, All American players make All American plays. Sanogo was a joy to watch last night in so many ways. His pass to a cutting Hawkins resulted in such a beautiful play.

Reaction Score
Honorable mention as well: the inbounds play out of a timeout that got Karaban a layup. He had a tough shooting night, so DH realized that you sometimes have to put players in different positions for them to still positively impact the game. Butler had momentum then, if I remember correctly, and it's those types of little dagger plays that give you more breathing room.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Honorable mention as well: the inbounds play out of a timeout that got Karaban a layup. He had a tough shooting night, so DH realized that you sometimes have to put players in different positions for them to still positively impact the game.
That's the one I liked.

Reaction Score
Having a guy who is not only the best player on the court every game but also can take over at will is such a luxury

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
That wasn’t the first option out of the time out but definitely a big time shot.

Clearly a no, no, no, yes, don't ever do that again play. Sanogo's threes are a vanity project and sub-optimal for UConn's title prospects. His driving from the key is also negative expected value. It's fine against lesser opponents but you hope he has the good sense to not do that against top competition.

I would say given the moment; it was a poor decision that worked out. We'd be killing him had he missed.

Reaction Score
Clearly a no, no, no, yes, don't ever do that again play. Sanogo's threes are a vanity project and sub-optimal for UConn's title prospects. His driving from the key is also negative expected value. It's fine against lesser opponents but you hope he has the good sense to not do that against top competition.

I would say given the moment; it was a poor decision that worked out. We'd be killing him had he missed.
I respectfully disagree. He’s been hitting them from there all season

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Honorable mention as well: the inbounds play out of a timeout that got Karaban a layup. He had a tough shooting night, so DH realized that you sometimes have to put players in different positions for them to still positively impact the game. Butler had momentum then, if I remember correctly, and it's those types of little dagger plays that give you more breathing room.

Honorable mention was play with Jackson on top of three points line. Sanogo put a screen down low to get Hawkins a free run out to three point line. Screen took Hawkins and defender high leaving Sanogo one on one with defender on his hip. Jackson threw a perfect entry pass leading Sanogo and Sanogo got an easy lay up.
Announcers showed it in slow motion and mentioned how defense had choice to leave Hawkins a free run to 3 point line and risk Hawk burying a three or follow Hawkins and leave the rim unprotected.

Reaction Score
To start the season yes, but before yesterday had missed something like 7 or 8 in a row. Hopefully this is a sign of goods things to come.

Reaction Score
To start the season yes, but before yesterday had missed something like 7 or 8 in a row. Hopefully this is a sign of goods things to come.
A few from other spots from around the arc. I think his 3 point percentage at the top of the key is favorable.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
If you want him taking that shot in a crucial spot as opposed to the dozen other sets they can run, then you don't understand basketball. There is a huge difference in him being left wide open when you are up 10 and a whole other thing when you need a basket in a crucial spot. We have 3 other guys who are better at shooting from that spot. He misses and Bulter runs down the other end and cuts the lead to 2 or 1. As amazing at this run has been to date, don't be freaking Syracuse about winning in December. If he misses in a big moment come March, I'm going to blame some of the people in this room and that I will not forgive.

The move of the night was calling the TO to get him back in the game and his play after the made 3.

Reaction Score

It is absolutely not a vanity project. Putting Kevin Freeman on the perimeter to improve his NBA prospects was a vanity project.

Having Sanogo be a legitimate threat on the pick and pop is immensely important for our spacing and he needs to take that shot.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
It is absolutely not a vanity project. Putting Kevin Freeman on the perimeter to improve his NBA prospects was a vanity project.

Having Sanogo be a legitimate threat on the pick and pop is immensely important for our spacing and he needs to take that shot.
He's just not. He's not doing any of that in the NBA nor against any team with a mobile center. If he tries that against Gonzaga we will be handing them TO's in the S16 or later. It's not a bad as AJ's dribbling into traffic all last year but it isn't the smart play either. Up 4 with the momentum against us, I don't want to see that. YMMV.

Reaction Score

couldn't disagree more. sanogo has been good facing up this year and the ability to play 5-out is part of what has made our offense so much better this year than last year. one possession, sanogo takes and makes an open three, which opens him up to drive for an open dunk the next. we also just need to have to have multiple looks so we don't become predictable like last year.

not to mention the fact the ability to develop players (and get them to the nba) is key to hurley's recruiting pitch. even if sanogo shooting threes is "sub-optimal" for this year's team, it will pay dividends in the coming years in terms of recruitment.

Reaction Score
If you want him taking that shot in a crucial spot as opposed to the dozen other sets they can run, then you don't understand basketball. There is a huge difference in him being left wide open when you are up 10 and a whole other thing when you need a basket in a crucial spot. We have 3 other guys who are better at shooting from that spot. He misses and Bulter runs down the other end and cuts the lead to 2 or 1. As amazing at this run has been to date, don't be freaking Syracuse about winning in December. If he misses in a big moment come March, I'm going to blame some of the people in this room and that I will not forgive.

The move of the night was calling the TO to get him back in the game and his play after the made 3.
An open, straight on, step in 3 from Sanogo is an acceptable shot in just about every scenario, particularly with 8 seconds on the shot clock. The chance that we get a better look than that in the next 8 seconds is minimal.

You don’t want him bombing threes from the wing, but all threes are not equal. Have some situational awareness.

Thus ends the lesson.

Reaction Score

This is either a very bad troll post or you just haven’t watched any of the games at all this year.

Guy is shooting at a 40% clip over a decent sample size. His form looks good. Why wouldn’t you have that be a part of your route offense?

Also, he has shown multiple times this year that from the top of the key/foul line range, he can also drive to the lane and then either take it to the rack or dish it.

Again, why wouldn’t you have this be part of routine offense? It creates nightmares for the defense.

The “Negative expected value” line is a good attempt at trying to sound smart, but it’s unfortunately false.

Reaction Score
Clearly a no, no, no, yes, don't ever do that again play. Sanogo's threes are a vanity project and sub-optimal for UConn's title prospects. His driving from the key is also negative expected value. It's fine against lesser opponents but you hope he has the good sense to not do that against top competition.I

In that situation, and I would say for 90% of the other 3s he has taken, it was a good shot. Yes, of course, in an end of game situation we have better options to take a 3, end of game is a different story.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
He's just not. He's not doing any of that in the NBA nor against any team with a mobile center. If he tries that against Gonzaga we will be handing them TO's in the S16 or later. It's not a bad as AJ's dribbling into traffic all last year but it isn't the smart play either. Up 4 with the momentum against us, I don't want to see that. YMMV.

Literally everyone in this thread disagrees with you. There weren’t 20 seconds on the shot clock and he couldn’t have been more open. It was like a free throw.

Reaction Score
He needs to do the same for Newton.
DH left Newton on the floor in spite of him not playing well the entire game. Definitely felt like DH was giving Newton positive time to work out his on-court issues.

Unfortuntely didn’t notice any improvement in Newtons game except for taking more shots. He runs the team at too slow a pace, turns the ball over too much, and telegraphs his passes.

I think (hope?) that like Alleyne he’ll get it going eventually. But right now it looks like everything about the game is moving too fast for him.

To make the Final Four we need him to be a UConn PG, not an East Carolina PG.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom