Danielle Cosgrove Commits to | The Boneyard

Danielle Cosgrove Commits to

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Good for her and ND. Lots of chatter out there of that's where she was leaning.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Good for her and ND. Lots of chatter out there of that's where she was leaning.

Thanks much. We're very much looking forward to having her head west from Long Island and join the Irish. Her inside and outside game is something McGraw's Bench is pretty excited about. :D

After years of not having a player from the Island (I think Melissa D'Amico, now a coach at Yale), we'll have two Danielle's coming out to South Bend: Paterson in '17 (Brooklyn/Queens) and Cosgrove in '18 (Suffolk).

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I guess she wasnt offered by UConn either was Danielle Patterson who also went to ND. Good gets for Irish. My only thought is who could UConn have coming in not to offer those two stars. We have a great roster this coming season with our transfers and frosh.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I guess she wasnt offered by UConn either was Danielle Patterson who also went to ND. Good gets for Irish. My only thought is who could UConn have coming in not to offer those two stars. We have a great roster this coming season with our transfers and frosh.

My only thought is who could UConn have coming in not to offer those two stars? There could be a myriad of reasons why UConn did not extend an offer.
Perhaps (I'm merely speculating here) some "red flags" appeared during UConn's assessment of these two recruits, aside from their talent. Geno has been very outspoken about the things he looks for in a recruit, aside from exceptional on-court talent and abilities. Maybe he did not have an immediate need at their position.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
My only thought is who could UConn have coming in not to offer those two stars? There could be a myriad of reasons why UConn did not extend an offer.
Perhaps (I'm merely speculating here) some "red flags" appeared during UConn's assessment of these two recruits, aside from their talent. Geno has been very outspoken about the things he looks for in a recruit, aside from exceptional on-court talent and abilities. Maybe he did not have an immediate need at their position.
@Carnac let me quickly try and end the speculation regarding red flags. By all available accounts including some BY posters both kids were UCONN type players. I also think it is a great myth that a player that would get an offer from ND would not get the same from UCONN or vise versa. I like @Tonyc theory that UCONN has someone else in mind.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Not sure what the mystery is on why the Huskies didn't offer Cosgrove. She is a 6'3" PF, rated 48th in her class by Hoopgurlz. UConn already has a commitment from 6'5" F Charlie Collier who is rated 7th.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Not sure what the mystery is on why the Huskies didn't offer Cosgrove. She is a 6'3" PF, rated 48th in her class by Hoopgurlz. UConn already has a commitment from 6'5" F Charlie Collier who is rated 7th.
There are lots of other factors to the mystery besides ranking. I'm not sure how we can definitely say "UCONN didn't offer Cosgrove" The biggest factor is one that has been debated here extensively- Does UCONN have room on the roster for two Post type players in the 2018 class? Another big factor is that Charli Collier was originally a Texas commit and as of now only a UCONN verbal. Another factor is UCONN is still involved Via Fall in home visits with some other very talented post players in 2018 class (Smith & Nelson-Ododa).

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
There are lots of other factors to the mystery besides ranking. I'm not sure how we can definitely say "UCONN didn't offer Cosgrove" The biggest factor is one that has been debated here extensively- Does UCONN have room on the roster for two Post type players in the 2018 class? Another big factor is that Charli Collier was originally a Texas commit and as of now only a UCONN verbal. Another factor is UCONN is still involved Via Fall in home visits with some other very talented post players in 2018 class (Smith & Nelson-Ododa).
With every player living on social media these days, I feel certain that if UConn offered Cosgrove, we would have heard about it. As for Collier only being a verbal, that's true of the entire HS class of 2018 including Cosgrove. The NCAA does not allow LOI's to be signed until a recruit's senior year.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
With every player living on social media these days, I feel certain that if UConn offered Cosgrove, we would have heard about it. As for Collier only being a verbal, that's true of the entire HS class of 2018 including Cosgrove. The NCAA does not allow LOI's to be signed until a recruit's senior year.
You have said this before and I though I had responded that I disagree. We were not aware of Charli Collier UCONN offer until she accepted. Same for Mikayla Coombs. UCONN staff might not want thier business out there like that and may ask a recruit not to broadcast it and like a recruit might not want to go to social media to advertise a UCONN offer if they are leaning away from UCONN.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
You have said this before and I though I had responded that I disagree. We were not aware of Charli Collier UCONN offer until she accepted. Same for Mikayla Coombs. UCONN staff might not want thier business out there like that and may ask a recruit not to broadcast it and like a recruit might not want to go to social media to advertise a UCONN offer if they are leaning away from UCONN.
I don't recall when exactly we learned of the offers to Collier & Coombs, so I'll take your word for it, but we do know that an offer has been extended to class of 2019 Sam Brunelle.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

This is not accurate.
We were aware of Charli Collier's offer before she committed.
We were aware of Mikayla Coombs's offer before she committed.
UConn did not offer Danielle Cosgrove.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
This is not accurate.
We were aware of Charli Collier's offer before she committed.
We were aware of Mikayla Coombs's offer before she committed.
UConn did not offer Danielle Cosgrove.
Thanks very much for the correction and clarification. These things always go better when you chime in.
@HuskyNan on the BY used to maintain a list of UCONN prospects annotating the UCONN offers, evaluations, visits etc that has since been deleted because it was largely out of date compared to current BY threads. Several BY posters like @Sluconn Husky @CoachBill & @Charliebball provide recruiting updates via what they find on social media and local news papers-near recuits homes and those in CT covering the team. You have also been a great source of UCONN recruiting information, besides the information above it was you that informed us that Mikayla Coombs had a visit scheduled to Michigan.
From these sources we learned for example that UCONN staff had evaluated Danielle Cosgrove (Coach Bill) and that Olivia Nelson-Ododa (Her Blog) did have a UCONN offer.
Are there other sources we might check to indicate UCONN offered players and did Danielle Cosgrove ever visit UCONN?

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
It is my understand that Cosgrove at one point had interest (how much I dont know) in UConn. UConn did not offer her. Period. Danielle Patterson had alot of interest in UConn and was not offered. Looking back at it UConn ended up with 2 transfers and our incoming freshman class. Collier has verballed and will be part of the following class. There have got to be some super players UConn is interested in and who are interested in UConn for IMO Cosgrove and Patterson not to be offered. Both are really really good players. So look at next years roster and add Stevens, Camara, Walker, Coombs, Lexi Gordon and Espinoza Hunter to go along with 3 AAs and Kia Nurse and Dangerfield. OK so where do you fit anybody else until the following year.

Bottom line is UConn is loaded and with Collier and I would venture to say another super guard or two in the wings and follow that up with possible Brunelle and one other well UConn could have the number one team in the country and their non starters could be the number 2 and maybe 3 teams in the polls.

Hope

flowers die
Reaction Score
Olivia Nelson-Ododa I hope.
What is UConn's history of being able to sign recruits from Texas? Charli Collier is from the Lone-Star State. Any chance we could lasso up another one? And I'm thinking of Nalyssa Smith in particular.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
What is UConn's history of being able to sign recruits from Texas? Charli Collier is from the Lone-Star State. Any chance we could lasso up another one? And I'm thinking of Nalyssa Smith in particular.
Moriah Jefferson
Lexi Gordon
Charli Collier (Verbal)

Smith could be next.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
UConn had a fair PG out of the Dallas area who went by the nickname of Mo and Lexi Gordon, a Wing from Fort Worth, is coming to Storrs next year as a freshman.

Reaction Score
@Carnac let me quickly try and end the speculation regarding red flags. By all available accounts including some BY posters both kids were UConn type players. I also think it is a great myth that a player that would get an offer from ND would not get the same from UConn or vise versa. I like @Tonyc theory that UConn has someone else in mind.

If there ever was a Myth of ND and Uconn type players were not the same caliber--Geno recruited nearly every outstanding player
ND got. Geno does not get all of them or even most of them--for all kinds of reason. As often said---Uconn and Geno is not for everyone.
Another reason I like reading your post---you know the right words. From all that has been posted this past year on potential recruits fo Uconn--Geno has a lot of irons in that fire.

Reaction Score
ND Insider (The South Bend Tribune) ran an interview with Danielle Cosgrove the other day and it answers some of the questions/issues that were brought up here. One of the "I didn't know that" points was that South Carolina was on her short list. And that ND was a goal....

Women's hoops recruit Danielle Cosgrove knew for years she wanted to be Irish
The article may explain it all. If she knew she wanted to go to nd all along and UCONN knew that, then why would they spend the effort in futility. This has happened before, where Geno and crew moved on to recruits that were not already elsewhere committed in their hearts.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
ND Insider (The South Bend Tribune) ran an interview with Danielle Cosgrove the other day and it answers some of the questions/issues that were brought up here. One of the "I didn't know that" points was that South Carolina was on her short list. And that ND was a goal....

Women's hoops recruit Danielle Cosgrove knew for years she wanted to be Irish
Interesting. I had heard from 2 sources that she really liked UConn. Maybe their info was wrong, or maybe Geno didn't offer her.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom