Daniel Hamilton | The Boneyard

Daniel Hamilton

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Our guy D-Ham scored his first NBA points last night. 7 points, 4 assists, 1 rebound on 3/4 shooting in 5 minutes of action against the Lakers.

I don't believe it. You mean to tell me that playing professional basketball as a full time job within an NBA organization was better able to prepare him for making the NBA than playing at UConn the past two seasons?

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Actually there is no evidence pro or con to make that assertion.

Right because of all the NBA talent that's been developed here the past few seasons.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Good for him. Not my favorite player but I can't deny his impact on the team. He was the one that popularized the play where a player gets the rebound, turns and dribbles down court without even looking for a teammate, then fires up a brick or charges. It's been a mainstay of our offense since. We saw it yesterday with Vital.

Reaction Score
Hamilton is playing a different game now than at UConn. He is a player that benefited greatly from total immersion into basketball vs. the limitations of hoops time in a college life. Bottomline, some kids benefit from the personal growth, maturation and coaching/mentoring that is a 30 game college season, while others just need to play in the NBA system. Some kids relish the college environment and for some it is not the right place.

Hamilton's entire game has developed, but most importantly he can now consistently hit the 3 pointer at a higher % than in college and his handle and passing have improved greatly. He can be a prototype, multi-dimensional big guard in the NBA. His limits will be based on his defensive skills.

He is a G-league poster boy that has been properly seasoned by OKC. If the G-league boosted salaries a bit I think there would be many kids who bypass college or come out earlier to just play. From purely a basketball standpoint, would Purvis been better off coming out a year early and earning his stripes in the G-league like he is now? Probably so.

Part of this development process is Hamilton having the work ethic and desire to constantly improve his game. I credit Ollie with developing that mindset in Hamilton as Ollie understands what it takes to standout among a crowd of talented players. Hopefully he signs a guaranteed NBA deal after this season. I think he will have a much longer NBA career than many expected. I predict that he will outlast some of the higher touted 1st round picks and certainly have a longer NBA career than most Syracuse draftees.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Use common sense.

Doing something full time in a professional capacity gives you a better chance to develop than doing something part time.
You did not say it gives you a better chance to develop, you said it gives you a better chance to make the NBA. And that is in no way an absolute. Ask Deandre Daniels. Or Shabazz. Or any other guy who increased their stock in college who may have gone undrafted then lost in the shuffle if they left early.

I could just as easily say if Daniel Hamilton stayed in college one more year he could have been a lottery pick and would already be in the NBA.

Reaction Score
Use common sense.

Doing something full time in a professional capacity gives you a better chance to develop than doing something part time.

Or go early before you're ready and get burned out.

Ask Shabazz Napier if sticking around for a year or two at UConn was helpful. His teammates held him to the fire that junior year, a lot of bickering. What would have been the result if he jumped right in? A lot of times, it comes down to a player's mental makeup, not their physical ability.

I agree with you that in Hamilton's case it was probably a good move. But in other players' cases? Shabazz did the right thing by staying.

And as for Deandre Daniels, he should have stayed. Boatright improved immensely his senior season s well.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
You did not say it gives you a better chance to develop, you said it gives you a better chance to make the NBA. And that is in no way an absolute. Ask Deandre Daniels. Or Shabazz. Or any other guy who increased their stock in college who may have gone undrafted then lost in the shuffle if they left early.

I could just as easily say if Daniel Hamilton stayed in college one more year he could have been a lottery pick and would already be in the NBA.

And you would make the NBA by....developing as a player.

Ask Deandre Daniels? He was an old junior at UConn, who was a key cog on a National Championship UConn team. What exactly could he have done with one more college season as a 23 year old to improve his stock?

@upstater Napier is an extreme outlier. It's not often that a junior comes out of nowhere to be the best player in the NCAA and also win the title.

By and large, I think a lot of guys like Hamilton, fringe NBA prospects have a better shot playing in a professional setting then coming back for college.

Reaction Score
And you would make the NBA by....developing as a player.

Ask Deandre Daniels? He was an old junior at UConn, who was a key cog on a National Championship UConn team. What exactly could he have done with one more college season as a 23 year old to improve his stock?

@upstater Napier is an extreme outlier. It's not often that a junior comes out of nowhere to be the best player in the NCAA and also win the title.

By and large, I think a lot of guys like Hamilton, fringe NBA prospects have a better shot playing in a professional setting then coming back for college.

Napier wasn't a junior. He was a senior. Napier actually needed the full college experience to develop.

As for Deandre Daniels, if you were on this board in early Feb. of 2014, you'd see people killing the kid for his lack of development and lack of ability. He came on for the last month and a half of his career. Old junior? They are all old juniors. 95% of these kids are behind one class.

Daniels had, essentially, 1 1/2 good months of stellar play in his college career. He finally broke through, then he left early, and the result hasn't been good.

Reaction Score
Awesome. I thought I saw him on the bench when I was watching the game earlier. Must be huge for him to score his first points at Staples in front of a hometown crowd, and on national TV to boot.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Napier wasn't a junior. He was a senior. Napier actually needed the full college experience to develop.

As for Deandre Daniels, if you were on this board in early Feb. of 2014, you'd see people killing the kid for his lack of development and lack of ability. He came on for the last month and a half of his career. Old junior? They are all old juniors. 95% of these kids are behind one class.

Daniels had, essentially, 1 1/2 good months of stellar play in his college career. He finally broke through, then he left early, and the result hasn't been good.

I know Napier was a senior in 2014. I was saying it's not often a junior comes back and out of nowhere becomes the best player and also wins a title.

I'm just going to agree to disagree on Daniels. He wasn't that good, but got hot for a couple months and left. I don't think coming back and being a 23 year old prospect would have been good for him.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom