Daniel Hamilton on ESPNU @ 9PM | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Daniel Hamilton on ESPNU @ 9PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

caw

Reaction Score
He's overrated because he's polished? Isn't he properly rated because he's the most skilled big man in America? Why would you elevate someone who's raw? If the rankings are based on where guys might hypothetically be 10 years from now they're useless.

I said it yesterday, but I don't get excited about guys like Chukwu. Every video I see is him beating up on kids who looked like me in high school. He can probably contribute a bit defensively as a freshman but that's about it. Meanwhile, I think a kid like Okafor is going to have a Jared Sullinger like impact from jump street.

I think you missed where I said he was mediocre defensively. His offensive polish covers his major flaws on defense. Maybe I wasn't as clear as I could have been. If the game was solely offense he would deserve all the hype he has received. I've heard scouts call him the best big they have seen since Oden. That's being overrated, IMO, because Oden was also a beast defensively. Okafor has a long way to go on that end.

Reaction Score
He's overrated because he's polished? Isn't he properly rated because he's the most skilled big man in America? Why would you elevate someone who's raw? If the rankings are based on where guys might hypothetically be 10 years from now they're useless.

I said it yesterday, but I don't get excited about guys like Chukwu. Every video I see is him beating up on kids who looked like me in high school. He can probably contribute a bit defensively as a freshman but that's about it. Meanwhile, I think a kid like Okafor is going to have a Jared Sullinger like impact from jump street.

Video? Come on bro. Don't always rely on hearsay (other subjective evaluations) for your own conclusions. Mine are completely objective and bulletproof :). I think 3 does that quite a bit and hasn't scored the elusive "interview" with Chukwu (who if nothing else is the best player in the state of Connecticut... who we have offered). That does not appear to PC's MO to self promote so no need to hate on a guy you never watched play. He is the "Le Bijou du Roi" bro! I think Okafor may average 15 ppg Freshman year at Duke but will not have the defensive presence of Chukwu. That is where having a dominating shot blocker like PC offsets the offensive skills of JO. Chukwu is not raw anymore. Next year he would average +10 ppg for the right BSC school. Chukwu will be very efficient offensively his Fresh year and dominating defensively. (emphasis added)

I am headed off to Storrs to take in that open football practice unless the UConn Dairy Bar is selling Chocolate Chunk'wu ice cream. If that is the case I will never leave the Dairy Bar with the Aussie Shepherd later this afternoon. We will demolish all the Chocolate Chunk'wu ourselves! :)

Reaction Score
I get that but you said Chukwu would be in te NBA by Brimahs junior year. That's a one and done.

Chukwu is just not the 1 and done type of kid. Neither was Smart.

caw

Reaction Score
Chukwu is an immediate upgrade and Brimah will be good by his junior year. At that time Chukwu will be in the NBA.

Brimah freshman - Chukwu HS senior
Brimah sophomore - Chukwu freshman
Brimah junior - Chukwu NBA

That is what I quoted from you says. Thus my question and saying I would take that bet.

Reaction Score
I think 3 does that quite a bit and hasn't scored the elusive "interview" with Chukwu (who if nothing else is the best player in the state of Connecticut... who we have offered).
I think your acting a little crazy. Your telling us that you don't watch these highlight videos and you've seen every recruit that is talked about on this board. I highly doubt that. I've seen Chuckwu play in person and wasn't to impressed. Yea he's tall and blocks shots but he's not a CANT MISS recruit. He should get every rebound because he plays against 6'5 centers in CT. Also he's the top recruit in CT because there isn't much raw talent year in and year out but there have been some really good ones. I've watched Okafor play on tv at least 5 times now and he's way better. Just a much stronger and physical player. Would much rather have him than Chuckwu now.

As for the "interview"(not sure why you had that in quotes) I've never asked him. I doubt he would do it because his entire recruitment is so close the the vest.

Reaction Score
I watched D Ham - he did not get a lot of minutes. He showed a good basketball IQ. Passed the ball well. Very thin- was not able to defend at a high level when matched against bigger players (looney as an example). They took him out at the end to the game. Spent a lot of time wondering around the perimeter- seemed to not want to get in the mix for rebounds with all the big bodies in the game.

All and all an OK showing. Made a lay up- missed a three- but was of the more unselfish players on the floor.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I watched D Ham - he did not get a lot of minutes. He showed a good basketball IQ. Passed the ball well. Very thin- was not able to defend at a high level when matched against bigger players (looney as an example). They took him out at the end to the game. Spent a lot of time wondering around the perimeter- seemed to not want to get in the mix for rebounds with all the big bodies in the game.

All and all an OK showing. Made a lay up- missed a three- but was of the more unselfish players on the floor.
Does this mean we better get Abu over Robinson?:)

Reaction Score
I thought that DH saw the court pretty well, better than the guards. He passed well. I think that he was a bit unsure out there because of the type of game being played. Let's face it. This was really an All-Star game, and guys were heaving up threes when it made no sense. DH didn't really play into the hype thing. I think that he was taken out near the end because his defense was suspect, and he definitely needs to put on weight if he wants to ever bang inside. He looked good to me. The team had a sense of calmness when he was in. I think that he's a bit unselfish and will fit in beautifully here.

Reaction Score
Brimah freshman - Chukwu HS senior
Brimah sophomore - Chukwu freshman
Brimah junior - Chukwu NBA

That is what I quoted from you says. Thus my question and saying I would take that bet.

Could be wrong, but I think Blue was referring to Chukwu turning pro by the time he's a junior and college and not Brimah. Regardless, I agree with your assessment on Okafor - I think he's much more of the Sullinger mold than Oden. He'll be a great college player and a good pro, but I don't view him as a better prospect than Drummond.

caw

Reaction Score
Could be wrong, but I think Blue was referring to Chukwu turning pro by the time he's a junior and college and not Brimah. Regardless, I agree with your assessment on Okafor - I think he's much more of the Sullinger mold than Oden. He'll be a great college player and a good pro, but I don't view him as a better prospect than Drummond.

That would make sense, very odd way of writing it though.

Reaction Score
I think your acting a little crazy. Your telling us that you don't watch these highlight videos and you've seen every recruit that is talked about on this board. I highly doubt that. I've seen Chuckwu play in person and wasn't to impressed. Yea he's tall and blocks shots but he's not a CANT MISS recruit. He should get every rebound because he plays against 6'5 centers in CT. Also he's the top recruit in CT because there isn't much raw talent year in and year out but there have been some really good ones. I've watched Okafor play on tv at least 5 times now and he's way better. Just a much stronger and physical player. Would much rather have him than Chuckwu now.

As for the "interview"(not sure why you had that in quotes) I've never asked him. I doubt he would do it because his entire recruitment is so close the the vest.

You already put Brimah/Chukwu under the same umbrella in your previous post. For a guy so conscious of rankings/highlight vids... wouldn't the disparity between the 2 in that category entitle Chukwu to his own umbrella in your eyes?

Chukwu uses both hands, puts the ball on the floor nice for a guy 7'2, can consistently hit the 12-15 footer, runs the floor like a Thomson's gazelle and in general has very good fluidity to his game. His defense and shot blocking will become second to none in the 2014 class. If he continues to work hard on his strength it will become inevitable (which he will). A player can always gain strength with work ethic and proper diet. So that criticism is easy to put in the rear view mirror. The most important thing is we have a shot at this kid. Okafor is off the board.

Georgetown and Syracuse are also courting Chukwu ( I do agree like most here Providence is a strong contender from the relationship Cooley built with Chukwu very early on when he was off everyone's radar) not just the schools you mentioned. He is a very unique kid athletically and academically. Chukwu in my opinion slightly under performed (all relative) at the NBPA camp. The highlights below just the same are not against 6'5 guys.

Also Chase Daniels from Hillhouse is 6'7 1/2-6’8. Prep & Hillhouse played each other 4 times last year. Throwing that 6’5 theory out the window. Treat yourself to the Jonathan Supreme @ UConn Dairy Barn because we ate all the Chocalate Chunk'wu before the football practice. Also its Chukwu in case you decide to follow the kid. ;) I like Brimah and hope he has a great year.

Reaction Score
That would make sense, very odd way of writing it though.

You mean the UConn Dairy Barn must have spiked my Jonathan Supreme? ;)

Have a healthy and safe night to everyone. Keeping Fishy and his family in my thoughts. Always great hanging out with you guys.

Reaction Score
Video? Come on bro. Don't always rely on hearsay (other subjective evaluations) for your own conclusions. Mine are completely objective and bulletproof :). I think 3 does that quite a bit and hasn't scored the elusive "interview" with Chukwu (who if nothing else is the best player in the state of Connecticut... who we have offered). That does not appear to PC's MO to self promote so no need to hate on a guy you never watched play.

Hey bro, I don't think hearsay is the word you're looking for. And the only difference between seeing a kid on video and seeing him live is that when you see him on video you're only seeing his highlights so, if anything, he's going to look better than he actually is. See: every big man we get enticed by. And he still looks raw.

Okafor is going to have a bigger impact next year because big guys who can score the ball can dominate in college. I don't doubt that Chukwu can have an impact defensively, Thabeet did as a freshman and he could barely make a layup. All I'm saying is that guys like that, while they have long term upside, don't excite me all that much, and are hardly "must have" recruits. Every year people go bananas about how dominant some 7-footer looks on tape and then scratch their heads when he looks like he's playing for the first time when he actually gets in a game.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Hey bro, I don't think hearsay is the word you're looking for. And the only difference between seeing a kid on video and seeing him live is that when you see him on video you're only seeing his highlights so, if anything, he's going to look better than he actually is. See: every big man we get enticed by. And he still looks raw.

Okafor is going to have a bigger impact next year because big guys who can score the ball can dominate in college. I don't doubt that Chukwu can have an impact defensively, Thabeet did as a freshman and he could barely make a layup. All I'm saying is that guys like that, while they have long term upside, don't excite me all that much, and are hardly "must have" recruits. Every year people go bananas about how dominant some 7-footer looks on tape and then scratch their heads when he looks like he's playing for the first time when he actually gets in a game.
I think BLUE saw Chuckwa live which is his point. He's not relying on highlights to make his judgement of Chuckwa. In effect you are supporting one of his arguments he made to 3uconn. Highlight tapes are an inaccurate measurement of a player.

Funny there is a discussion on this thread about Chuckwa vs. Okafer and in another thread regarding Abu vs. Robinson. In both threads there are people arguing about the current development vs. the potential development as well as the differences amongst players. There is no doubt in anyone's mind that Okafer is a much better player currently and his impact next year will be far greater than Chuckwa's. Not even BLUE is arguing this. But he is arguing that Chuckwa has a lot of potential, much more than Brimah, and UConn should seriously make a play for him (which of course KO is).

My take is BLUE isn't seeing the same chatter for Chuckwa that he's seeing for Perkins, Abu, Robinson and other sexy recruits and he feels that this is an oversight. Just my 10 cents.

Reaction Score

I'm just saying 3 needs to fact check and learn to bring his A game with regards to some of his statements addressed above. I love the monikers enthusiasm and my posts have made that clear. If he wants to be really good at something not everyday will be a walk in the park. Stating factual inaccuracies (not opinion based) will lead any reasonably prudent person to question the credibility of the source. We are not all reasonably prudent. Popularity contests are great in anonymous forums but have less value in the real world.

I don't think I am speculating on a penny stock with Chukwu. My assessment is he will be a Blue Chipper (and I reserve the right to be dead wrong). Smaller and quicker players on the interior have given him more trouble then players that fit the physical specimen model mentioned above.

Every player at this age has work to do. Chukwu obviously no exception. If any of us were Tom Konchalski though we wouldn't be posting here. :)

Have a great day bro.

Reaction Score
I think BLUE saw Chuckwa live which is his point. He's not relying on highlights to make his judgement of Chuckwa. In effect you are supporting one of his arguments he made to 3uconn. Highlight tapes are an inaccurate measurement of a player.

Funny there is a discussion on this thread about Chuckwa vs. Okafer and in another thread regarding Abu vs. Robinson. In both threads there are people arguing about the current development vs. the potential development as well as the differences amongst players. There is no doubt in anyone's mind that Okafer is a much better player currently and his impact next year will be far greater than Chuckwa's. Not even BLUE is arguing this. But he is arguing that Chuckwa has a lot of potential, much more than Brimah, and UConn should seriously make a play for him (which of course KO is).

My take is BLUE isn't seeing the same chatter for Chuckwa that he's seeing for Perkins, Abu, Robinson and other sexy recruits and he feels that this is an oversight. Just my 10 cents.

:) There goes that spontaneous wit with the spelling! LOVE it! Have a great day bro! LOL

I'm out...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET