Daniel Hamilton Defense | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Daniel Hamilton Defense

Status
Not open for further replies.

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
You know, guys, I'm often stunned at the reaction on this board to how badly we play defense. It's almost as if the expectation is that teams shoot less than 10 % against us or we suck. Frankly, I thought the defense has been pretty good, especially in comparison with other recent teams. I just wanted to confirm that to myself so I looked this up.

Year FG% 3pt%
2015-16 38.1 30.6
2014-15 39.8 34.8
2013-14 39.2 33.0 National Championship
2012-13 40.4 31.5
2011-12 38.6 34.4
2010-11 41.3 31.6 National Championship
2003-04 32.3 32.3 National Championship
1998-99 38.1 30.6 National Championship

So far this year, it looks like our defense is better than it has ever been and on a par with the first NC in 99. I know. I know. More goes into defense than just holding opponents to lower percentages, but that is the essence of defense - the bottom line. I know. I know. We are only a quarter through the year, we've played some patsies and the meat of the schedule is coming up. But our pre-conference schedule is now better (by necessity) that is was even 5 years ago in the BE. I know. I know. The quality of opponents is not as good as when we were in the Big East. I know. I know. Perception IS reality.

There is still a long way to go, but I still think the defense is pretty good and only going to get better as we go through the season

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Strange because we're rated #22 in Kenpom's Adjusted Defensive Rankings (We were #65 last year, #57 in 2013, #65 in 2012...do you want me to keep going?). So statistics tell you you're wrong, or just have an extremely short memory.

Can we stop bringing this up? Statistics are important I'll never disagree with that. However, when you watch the game we are not a good defensive team, our rotations are terrible and we give up a ton of lay-ups. I don't need statistics to tell me that.

Reaction Score
I was surprised how much zone we played. I think the team had a bit of trouble with their zone rotations, but they kept talking to each other, especially when play stopped. We may see a more zone until AB comes back. They will get better at it.

Reaction Score
Defense by most of team is awful. Purvis is only one playing great defense. Foul shots need to happen. Without defensive intensity and making foul shots this team will be an extremely talented team that was fun to watch but never pulled it together. We need rebounds too but we really need defense and foul shots.

Reaction Score
Can we stop bringing this up? Statistics are important I'll never disagree with that. However, when you watch the game we are not a good defensive team, our rotations are terrible and we give up a ton of lay-ups. I don't need statistics to tell me that.

When your eyes disagree with the stats, I'd be more worried about confirmation bias than the stats being wrong.

Reaction Score
When your eyes disagree with the stats, I'd be more worried about confirmation bias than the stats being wrong.

We not a good defensive team period. Stats don't tell you Adams and Gibbs can't keep guards out of the lane, without having to work hard to get there. Stats don't tell you Dham hedges off his man for wide open 3s even if they miss them.

Silk31

Foot Stays on Gas
Reaction Score
This is the worst defensive UConn team I have seen in a while!
This is the worst perimeter defense we have seen in the longest time. Aside from Purvis I have no faith in any1 keeping their man in front of them.

Our bigs are fine but they are getting exposed because they constantly have to help and rotate out of position because our perimeter D consistently plays matador D

Reaction Score
We not a good defensive team period. Stats don't tell you Adams and Gibbs can't keep guards out of the lane, without having to work hard to get there. Stats don't tell you Dham hedges off his man for wide open 3s even if they miss them.

Yes, that's what confirmation bias means. You are very good at noticing every bad thing they do. But we're giving up fewer points per 100 possessions than about 330 other teams, so maybe try to watch for why.

Reaction Score

This is literally the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Reaction Score
Yes, that's what confirmation bias means. You are very good at noticing every bad thing they do. But we're giving up fewer points per 100 possessions than about 330 other teams, so maybe try to watch for why.

Or the stats are making you look at everything they do well.

Reaction Score
Or the stats are making you look at everything they do well.

I'm not suggesting that they never do anything bad. I'm talking people off the ledge who are saying that it's the worst defense in the history of UConn or something.

It's a solid defensive team. It's not perfect. It's not god awful. It's good.

Reaction Score
I'm not suggesting that they never do anything bad. I'm talking people off the ledge who are saying that it's the worst defense in the history of UConn or something.

No but they are the worst in quite awhile. Boat stop the opposing best guard from doing what they wanted last year. Trying to think back when I said we are terrible defensively. I'll be 50 tomorrow. Maybe Perno teams.

Reaction Score
Mo but they are the worst in quite awhile. Boat stop the opposing vest guard from doing what they wanted last year. Trying to think back when I said we are terrible defensively. I'll be 50 tomorrow. Maybe Perno teams.

We've already been over this, but this team is better defensively than last year, regardless of whether your eyes liked what you saw more or not. It's not up for debate unless this team starts to do worse in the future.

Reaction Score
No but they are the worst in quite awhile. Boat stop the opposing best guard from doing what they wanted last year. Trying to think back when I said we are terrible defensively. I'll be 50 tomorrow. Maybe Perno teams.

I retract my previous statement. This is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Reaction Score
We've already been over this, but this team is better defensively than last year, regardless of whether your eyes liked what you saw more or not. It's not up for debate unless this team starts to do worse in the future.

In fact, they're a better defensive team than 3 out of the 4 last Uconn teams!

Reaction Score
I retract my previous statement. This is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

I give you yes last year team was worse but the amount of blow bys our guards are giving up and the amount of layups because Brimah is out is pathetic. And with Brimah out you stats will change.

Reaction Score
Bear in mind that those statistics currently include 7 cupcake games and 0 conference games. Let's see where the numbers end up by the end of the year.

That said, I think people are in denial when they say this isn't a bad defensive team by UConn standards.

On the other hand, they are a breath of fresh air on the offensive side compared to what we've seen for the previous 5 years.

Reaction Score
I give you yes last year team was worse but the amount of blow bus our guards are giving up and the amount of layups because Brimah is out is pathetic. And with Brimah out you stats will change.

If that happens, I'm happy to discuss it, but our defensive efficiency improved with last night's game. So, for now it's a baseless assertion.

Reaction Score
Bear in mind that those statistics currently include 7 cupcake games and 0 conference games. Let's see where the numbers end up by the end of the year.

That said, I think people are in denial when they say this isn't a bad defensive team by UConn standards.

On the other hand, they are a breath of fresh air on the offensive side compared to what we've seen for the previous 5 years.

It'd adjusted defensive efficiency. It takes into consideration opponent. I'm guessing you don't understand how statistics work.

Also, our Adjusted offensive efficiency is #42. We have a better defense than we do offense.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
This is literally the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

So you're a blind believer in the statistics huh? You must not watch games and only look at the box score.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
So you're a blind believer in the statistics huh? You must not watch games and only look at the box score.

Those gosh-darn nerds with their stupid numbers, they really are ruining sports today! :rolleyes:

Reaction Score

This isn't that difficult to understand.

We have a group of people on this board who think the defense is historically bad. Others are saying, "guys, it's demonstrably not that bad. In fact, it's pretty good."

The original group comes back and says, "but we have all these bad habits."

Yes, the team has some bad habits, but we have a good defense in spite of these, so we are doing some things right. It's not a historically bad defense. It's also not amazing, and no one is saying it is.

Reaction Score
The hedging, sagging, recovering, etc. that people are getting on DHam for is how we teach defense. If you watch our Final Four game with Florida when we locked them down (other than post ups to Young), you'll see five guys in the paint when they attack off the dribble, and everyone rotates, switches, recovers, like clockwork. Boat just was really good at making up the ground quickly, and Giffey read the game so well at that point in his career that he was always one step ahead of where he needed to be. Bazz too.

In the scouting reports I'm sure there are specific guys we aren't supposed to help off (the Trevor Cooneys of the world), but the majority of our defensive principles under Ollie center around collapsing, helping and recovering. It's a system that's vulnerable to quick ball movement, but it forces the other teams to make tougher reads and quick decisions. Florida, Kentucky and Michigan State all came off the rails when we were doing it at level five. Iowa State had the one guy we couldn't match.

If DHam is here another year, I think he will probably get closer to Giffey's level of reading the game on defense. He's a smart player - just is building his mental repertoire.

Reaction Score

You're helpless.

“Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”

Reaction Score
This isn't that difficult to understand.

We have a group of people on this board who think the defense is historically bad. Others are saying, "guys, it's demonstrably not that bad. In fact, it's pretty good."

The original group comes back and says, "but we have all these bad habits."

Yes, the team has some bad habits, but we have a good defense in spite of these, so we are doing some things right. It's not a historically bad defense. It's also not amazing, and no one is saying it is.

I think this is a good point. I think the complaint comes from seeing such gifted players on the floor who lack a sense of intensity on defense. It seems in times past we had teams with less talent on offense that made up for it in defensive intensity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom