Daniel Hamilton decision to leave article | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Daniel Hamilton decision to leave article

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I thought he was nuts.

But seeing how poorly he tested athletically meant his draft ceiling was rather limited.

So I guess this really was a decent move for him.

Reaction Score
I thought he was nuts.

But seeing how poorly he tested athletically meant his draft ceiling was rather limited.

So I guess this really was a decent move for him.
It is hard right when a guy like DHam has the talent and opportunity to absolutely hit the jackpot and he decides to go a different route. But almost anyone else making this type of life decision we wouldn't bat an eye and probably would support it. I.e. Someone has the chance to enter some sort of super prestigious training program but its only a 50-50 shot and requires an additional year of non-income training or school. Instead this someone takes a good job earning money and thinks long-term that its best for his/her career development and that if they work hard the sure thing job route has less downside and could have the same upside. The early NBA draft slots are rightfully called the lottery, but sometimes even if you are good enough you don't win the lottery. Making a reasoned long-term, development oriented decision is applauded in almost every other situation.

I often come out on the stay in school side especially when I think guys have opportunity to learn to dominate at the college level and are relative locks to move up in the draft. But I think the world is changing, kids are more mature after even a year of college (Jason Tatum a great example), the NBA is getting better at developing younger players (& not putting them into sink or swim spots) and college basketball simply isn't as good as it was 10+ years ago in a circular logic way.

the Q

Reaction Score
It is hard right when a guy like DHam has the talent and opportunity to absolutely hit the jackpot and he decides to go a different route. But almost anyone else making this type of life decision we wouldn't bat an eye and probably would support it. I.e. Someone has the chance to enter some sort of super prestigious training program but its only a 50-50 shot and requires an additional year of non-income training or school. Instead this someone takes a good job earning money and thinks long-term that its best for his/her career development and that if they work hard the sure thing job route has less downside and could have the same upside. The early NBA draft slots are rightfully called the lottery, but sometimes even if you are good enough you don't win the lottery. Making a reasoned long-term, development oriented decision is applauded in almost every other situation.

I often come out on the stay in school side especially when I think guys have opportunity to learn to dominate at the college level and are relative locks to move up in the draft. But I think the world is changing, kids are more mature after even a year of college (Jason Tatum a great example), the NBA is getting better at developing younger players (& not putting them into sink or swim spots) and college basketball simply isn't as good as it was 10+ years ago in a circular logic way.

I get it. I just meant his athletic limitations meant he was never going to be a high pick. Late first was his absolute ceiling.

He was kind of a tweeter all the way around.

And when more jnderclassmen declare than there are draft spots, there is some kind of problem.

Reaction Score
I get it. I just meant his athletic limitations meant he was never going to be a high pick. Late first was his absolute ceiling.

And when more jnderclassmen declare than there are draft spots, there is some kind of problem.
Maybe, but that's kind of sports right? More kids tryout for the high school team (and lower) than make it - you actually want that. Any really attractive job is going to have way more applicants or aspirants than the few that actually make it.

The fix of having kids that declare for the draft opt to go back to school and get more education + more playing experience/skills should help. If lots of undrafted kids go back to school, this change really could be the most productive change the NCAA has ever tried.

the Q

Reaction Score
Maybe, but that's kind of sports right? More kids tryout for the high school team (and lower) than make it - you actually want that. Any really attractive job is going to have way more applicants or aspirants than the few that actually make it.

The fix of having kids that declare for the draft opt to go back to school and get more education + more playing experience/skills should help. If lots of undrafted kids go back to school, this change really could be the most productive change the NCAA has ever tried.

But it’s not just underclassmen. There’s seniors and foreigners as well. They are at least 10% of the draft in their own right.

Once the g league pays a real wage the game will change entirely.

And the 2 way contracts are a great start

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Three years later, it seems to be working out for him. Good for him, but he did not exactly prove anyone wrong.

With the advantage of hindsight, Hamilton apparently was not one for the college lifestyle. So looking back, it was good he didn't skip classes, have a low GPA, and declared ineligible, while taking up a scholarship. Worse, the program wasn't forced to decide whether to cover it up. On the other hand, no one knew the Ollie era was going to implode like it did. So Hamilton apparently benefited from not having his stock plummet. either.

It still doesn't mean, from purely a standpoint of advancing from NCAA to NBA caliber basketball, that it was the correct decision at the time. Either Hamilton caught lightning in a bottle, or he blazed a trail (A trail that no longer needs blazing due to the new early entrants rules).

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

Comparing professional sports to any other profession is a false analogy. Reminds me of the Trans Am scene in Stand and Deliver:

Pancho: [Escalante is driving Pancho's car] Kemo, I don't wanna let you down but the money I'd be making'll buy me a new Trans Am.
Jaime Escalante: No one cruise through life, Pancho. Wouldn't you rather be designing these things than repairing them? Can't even do that, things got fuel injection -

As I recall, no one was saying that tha basketball player needs the typical college education to play ball in the NBA. Only that given what Hamilton had shown, as compared to other early entrants, he would have benefited from one more year.

Also I'm pretty sure the early NBA draft slots are called the lottery for the teams' sake, not the players.

Reaction Score
Comparing professional sports to any other profession is a false analogy. Reminds me of the Trans Am scene in Stand and Deliver:

Pancho: [Escalante is driving Pancho's car] Kemo, I don't wanna let you down but the money I'd be making'll buy me a new Trans Am.
Jaime Escalante: No one cruise through life, Pancho. Wouldn't you rather be designing these things than repairing them? Can't even do that, things got fuel injection -

As I recall, no one was saying that tha basketball player needs the typical college education to play ball in the NBA. Only that given what Hamilton had shown, as compared to other early entrants, he would have benefited from one more year.

Also I'm pretty sure the early NBA draft slots are called the lottery for the teams' sake, not the players.
Jeez, of course it’s called lottery because of the drawing but it sticks because it is apropos.

Pro sports is similar to art and lots of pure unique talent based pursuits. It is not analogous to most jobs or colleges but if you go most elite schools and most prestigious and lucrative jobs it can apply.

Reaction Score
“I love UConn,” Hamilton said. “I learned a lot in my two years at UConn. I got better from high school to college. I kept progressing, and it’s something I really value. … I just wanted to be a professional, regardless of whether I was in the G-League or not, regardless of whether I was ready. I just didn’t want to be in college anymore. ”

Well there you go. I wish him well.
I respect the honesty. I wish him well.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I was wrong, I thought he made a huge mistake, he may have made a mistake still, but he may have chosen a better path too.

He's in the NBA , he succeeded, that's all that matters now

Congrats DHam

Last edited:

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
When you have distaste of something like DHam did for college life and school in general - what else would you do?
The kid didn't make a mistake - he did something he had to - or go crazy and become a huge downer on himself and the team
there was a 40% chance he was going to return after his freshman year but KO guided him back - there was 0% chance of anything at UConn after his last game his second year - KO knew it as did every player on the team
To be honest - he has gone further in less time than I thought - I wish him the best

Reaction Score

Listen Bazz without his senior year is undrafted and physical tools are the reason. Success hides those wesknesses.
UConn even without Larrier and Gilbert are a terrific team if Hamilton Comes back. Their loss is somewhat negated.
He makes Brimah more of an offensive threat with his entry passing ability. He could play the 1-2-3or even. stretch 4
Plus with Rodney , Facey ,and Adams. He takes pressure off Adams
sprinkling in Jackson and Vital
That’s a terrific team
That team is a lock for the NCAA tourney. The’re better that 2015-16
Especially with a pre injury Larrier

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members