Dangerous position of bracket seeding | The Boneyard

Dangerous position of bracket seeding

Reaction Score
Honestly where we are are right now, being seen as a potential 8/9 seed, is no man's land. I don't think we want to be dealing with a No. 1 seed in the second round. Right now I think we need to beat Georgetown and then hopefully make it to the BET finals because that could get us into a 6/7 seed, where you don't have to deal with a Top 4 team.

Say we beat Georgetown and then whoever wins 6/11 game but then lose to Creighton. That leaves us in a dangerous position of being in that 8/9 game, I think. So I think it's huge that we take care of business and finally avenge our losses to Creighton, who is a very good team. I think that gets you into the 7 seed at least.

Hilariously enough, losing to G'town OR the 6/11 seed might actually be advantageous from a seeding perspective, though obviously you want to go into the tournament with as much momentum as humanly possible.

Win out the BET? No idea where that puts is, a 4/5 seed at that point?

Reaction Score
I don't think it matters who you play. Sooner or later you have to beat good or elite teams. Fear the sled dogs!

It matters especially for a team that didn't really get enough games together, especially with their star player. Every game teaches you and makes you better, and momentum is especially important in the tournament.

Could we beat Gonzaga? Sure, it's possible. But I'd like my chances on Game 4 more than on Game 2.

Reaction Score
Fwiw Lunardi has us in the 8/9 game against Florida in illinois bracket as of this morning.

Reaction Score
If we win out, we have to be a 4/5 seed. Nothing else would make any sense. We'd be what, 14-2 with Bouknight?

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
Fwiw Lunardi has us in the 8/9 game against Florida in illinois bracket as of this morning.

Yeah Lunardi moved us up to the #9 seed after the win . I don't really care what he thinks anymore. When its all done, he won't be correct.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I want on the 11/6 / 12/5 10/7 line. Best opportunity to get to the second weekend. Just avoid the 8/9 line like the plague. I'm a bit pessimistic with the committee, they haven't been kind to us - I remember being shocked the '14 team got on the 7 line. But we shall see how they favor us now that we're out of the American.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
I want on the 11/6 / 12/5 10/7 line. Best opportunity to get to the second weekend. Just avoid the 8/9 line like the plague. I'm a bit pessimistic with the committee, they haven't been kind to us - I remember being shocked the '14 team got on the 7 line. But we shall see how they favor us now that we're out of the American.
Good points.
I think if we keep on winning and finish 2 -1 then we should be #7. If we go 4--0, then probably #5. . But just my guesses.

Reaction Score
As much as I'd love to get revenge for Kofi, I have nightmares about what he would do against us

Reaction Score
I’d love to beat a bloated Big10 team. I can already hear the excuses “worn out after going through the in conference gauntlet”
Illinois would be an excellent matchup for us. They're good, but it's strength on strength for us. We defend a lot better when opponents try to score in the paint.

Reaction Score
Yeah Lunardi moved us up to the #9 seed after the win tomorrow. I don't really care what he thinks anymore. When its all done, he won't be correct.
Lunardi is lazy and just continuously updates his projections with little “tweaks” rather than doing the hard work of building a bracket from scratch each week. So there’s a lot of inertia in his projections and they tend to be somewhat stale.

Happily the Committee ignores Joe and his bracket fan fiction.

Reaction Score
Yeah not to be greedy here but the only two teams I don’t wanna see are Baylor and Gonzaga and for that 8-9 game 50% chance we see them in the second round. So.... let’s get to big East finals or win it and get that 5-6-7 seed

Reaction Score
A 1 seed should be nervous seeing UConn as a 8/9. Fear no one!

Reaction Score
any way we can get these threads merged, since they are on exactly the same topic?
No! I want to see 100 threads about seeding. It’s been 5 years since we could talk about this!

Seeing the forum full of threads about seeding is making my week!

I may start a new thread to discuss which SITE folks think we’ll be assigned to for the first round. Will it be Lucas Oil stadium? Mackey Arena?? Banker’s Life Fieldhouse????

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
I would LOVE to watch us play Illinois as scary as it seems it would be a great test for our program and a Sanogo/Whaley vs Kofi coupled with Bouk vs Dosunmu would be a great sight to see for college hoops.
Got a close friend I haven't seen since pre-covid who's a huge Illinois fan. If we get that matchup, we'll find a way to have a socially distanced get together!

Reaction Score
If there was ever another year we could see a good chance of another 16 seed upset a 1, it's this crazy COVID year. One 8/9 seed may end up having a 16 seed to play in the 2nd round. Why not have it be us?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom