Dangerfield (hip) and Westbrook (knee) undergo successful surgeries [merged] | The Boneyard

Dangerfield (hip) and Westbrook (knee) undergo successful surgeries [merged]

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Danger had hip surgery before her freshman season at UConn. Napheesa also had hip surgery that offseason (2016).

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Not sure why the school is calling it an “update”... my reaction was more like —

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
That's not exactly stellar news. Westbrook really needs time to practice with her new teammates and learn the UConn system. Unless she's not allowed to play this year but we're not thinking about that...

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
Westbrook has played through injury for 2 years in a row. For as much flack as Holly received for on court performances, Holly never put the players on blast, never mentioned the injuries to key players, and took the heat upon herself. Hard to develop a team when key players are hurt. I do respect Holly for not disclosing real issues, but ultimately, that aided in her demise.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
Westbrook has played through injury for 2 years in a row. For as much flack as Holly received for on court performances, Holly never put the players on blast, never mentioned the injuries to key players, and took the heat upon herself. Hard to develop a team when key players are hurt. I do respect Holly for not disclosing real issues, but ultimately, that aided in her demise.

Injuries are a fact of life in competitive sports. Samuelson was injured for most of her time here. So was Dangerfield. Collier was injured for some. Yet neither UConn nor Tennessee had the injury bug as bad as Notre Dame last year and they won the championship. No, injuries were not an ultimate factor in Warwick's demise. As for disclosing injuries, no competent coach does that if it can be helped because of what opponents would do with that information. Warwick did "put the players on blast" at times for lack of heart. If she was doing that as a strategic alternative to disclosing injuries that is not exactly noble.

But bless you nonetheless, many of us BYers hoped the Tennessee administration would have your point of view. You might say that would be a popular opinion on here.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Actually Holly would have done better if she'd disclosed surgeries such as this and not thrown her players under the bus after losses. Also perhaps she could have said "I know what we can and what we shouldn't do" after losses instead of "I don't know what to do".

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
If I had heard HW just once take personal responsibility for a loss rather than throwing it back on her team by suggesting they needed to play harder, I would have considerably more sympathy for her.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Injuries are a fact of life in competitive sports. Samuelson was injured for most of her time here. So was Dangerfield. Collier was injured for some. Yet neither UConn nor Tennessee had the injury bug as bad as Notre Dame last year and they won the championship. No, injuries were not an ultimate factor in Warwick's demise. As for disclosing injuries, no competent coach does that if it can be helped because of what opponents would do with that information. Warwick did "put the players on blast" at times for lack of heart. If she was doing that as a strategic alternative to disclosing injuries that is not exactly noble.

But bless you nonetheless, many of us BYers hoped the Tennessee administration would have your point of view. You might say that would be a popular opinion on here.
Notre Dame had an unbelievable string of ACL injuries, but on the whole it wasn't devastating. None of their starters got hurt. Turner's injury happened at the end of the previous season, so they had the entire offseason to prepare for and adjust to her absence. Thompson was the only major loss, but not even she was a starter. Having four healthy players the caliber of Young-Shepard-Arike-Mabrey would be an injury bug that most coaches would gladly accept.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
Notre Dame had an unbelievable string of ACL injuries, but on the whole it wasn't devastating. None of their starters got hurt. Turner's injury happened at the end of the previous season, so they had the entire offseason to prepare for and adjust to her absence. Thompson was the only major loss, but not even she was a starter. Having four healthy players the caliber of Young-Shepard-Arike-Mabrey would be an injury bug that most coaches would gladly accept.
Well, yes, you would have to be a program that recruits well and have multiple choices, at least on paper, to prevail despite the injury bug. Say a program like Tennessee.

Reaction Score
That's not exactly stellar news. Westbrook really needs time to practice with her new teammates and learn the UConn system. Unless she's not allowed to play this year but we're not thinking about that...
I had the same thoughts!! Not thrilled by either having surgery. However, it is comforting to know Ania M. a pro is waiting in the wings.
Westbrook really needs time with the Uconn team if for nothing more than to build chemistry. But I agree the Geno system may be a bit shocking for one who wore Orange. I really hope she does not get a year of sitting, I don't think that Year did Azura not one bit of good. At the time I thought it great turns out, not so great.

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
Praying for a speedy recovery for both Crystal and Evina. I am hoping we hear real soon if Evina waiver has been approved.

Reaction Score
my only question is why did they wait so long to do CD's surgery?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom