Dangerfield commits to UConn | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Dangerfield commits to UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Not true. Andraya is a combo-guard. Dangerfield and Cooper and Durr have all stated throughout their recruiting process that they only want to play point guard. They have no interest in being moving over to shooting guard. Had Durr signed with UConn, I highly doubt Dangerfield would be at UConn. Pure point guards are not like wings, who are players that can play several positions. Pure point guards want the ball in the their hands. They are the quarterback of the team. Similar to football, you can have several top running backs on one team, because there is such a thing as running back by committee. In football, the top quarterbacks will not follow each other to the same program, no matter how much they like that other school. Currently, TN has only 1 pure point guard. When Cooper arrives, there will also be just 1, since Ariel will be gone. All of the others you mentioned are combos.
At Uconn at least, Geno doesn't really like to limit his guard definitions to PG and Shooting guard - who was the PG when Sue and DT were here? Or last year with Bria and Moriah - he likes a shooting guard that gets lots of assists and a PG that shoots and scores. So a recruit that comes into his office and says 'I only play the point guard position' is probably not that high on his list of recruits.

Reaction Score
No parsing please. Change the word "elite" to "top-rated, super talented, highly ranked" or whatever....you get the point. ;) There is a ton of high school talent in the state of TN. That's just the truth.

In fact, Dangerfield, along with MeMe Jackson, a TN commit, played for Blackman, who ended last season as the #1 high school team in the nation. Riverdale, Alexa Middleton's old high school is a national powerhouse as well.

After Warlick takes charge of Tennessee's best high school talent, the elite become the effete.

Reaction Score
Here's some quarterbacks I thought off that did just that.
Cam Newton, Tim Tebow- Florida St.
Zach Mettenberger, Aaron Murray- Georgia
Matt Flynn, Jordan Jefferson- LSU
Russell Wilson, Mike Glennon- NC State
Brian Griese, Drew Henson, Tom Brady- Michigan
The quarterbacks of the Miami dynasty of 1980s and 90s
The quarterbacks of the Steve Spurrier era of Florida
The quarterbacks of the Pete Carroll era of Southern Cal

I could go on and on but you get the point.
Cam Newton went to Auburn
Tim Tebow went to Florida
Zach Mettenberger went to LSU

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Here's some quarterbacks I thought off that did just that.
Cam Newton, Tim Tebow- Florida St.
Zach Mettenberger, Aaron Murray- Georgia
Matt Flynn, Jordan Jefferson- LSU
Russell Wilson, Mike Glennon- NC State
Brian Griese, Drew Henson, Tom Brady- Michigan
The quarterbacks of the Miami dynasty of 1980s and 90s
The quarterbacks of the Steve Spurrier era of Florida
The quarterbacks of the Pete Carroll era of Southern Cal

I could go on and on but you get the point.

Flawed analogy. Football QBs play a rigidly defined position on offense only for about a dozen games a year. Little playtime for backups of top QBs.

Even "pure" basketball PGs must be versatile and none ever play entire games, especially over a 35 game season. Lots of PT for backups or for "impure" PGs to play at another position (e.g., SG or SF).

Reaction Score

Cam went to Florida, then transferred to a JUCO, then transferred to Auburn
Zach went to Georgia then transferred to LSU

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Cam Newton originally went to Florida and sat behind Tim Tebow for the 2007 season redshirted his sophomore season, was arrested on theft chargers, left Florida for Blinn College then transferred to Auburn.

Mettenberger originally attened UGA but was kicked off the team due to violation of team rules. Later plead guilty two misdemeanor sexual battery chargers and then went the JUCO route and wound up at LSU.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
I always like what Geno and the team adopts...so we may have to wait for that name to develop. Like height, unfortunately, this may be in flux for a while. Meanwhile we have Stewie, K, and D, Mojet...so we should probably go with Cjet, as CD, clearly ain't gonna cut it.

Do you think she'll really be great? Names aside, could we have some observations from people how have seen her play?

Reaction Score
I really don't see anything to explain. She likes UCONN and selected a top school. :)

If the state of CT had the same number of elite girls basketball players as TN does, Geno would not get every single recruit. Not sure if he recruited Bria Holmes, but she should be a Husky. She is the real deal and from CT. Also, TN's current roster and commits include four players from the state of TN.....Graves, Harrison, Middleton, and MeMe Jackson. They get their share of homegrown talent.

I can tell you this. There's not a TN fan I know of who would trade Cooper for another PG. That's the truth, whether that preference is warranted or not. It would be a VERY exciting game to see Dangerfield (a TN girl playing for UCONN) going against Cooper (a GA girl). It will be a fight. They are both talented and tenacious.

No! She likes UCONN and selected THE top school.

Reaction Score
We have really got to get this settled. If the Rodney jokes (which weren't really all that funny when Rodney told them) go on much longer, the mental health of the Boneyard will be in serious danger (no pun intended). Please, somebody clever, maybe whoever coined MoJet, come up with something we can all agree on. The only things that occur to me (who am not all that clever) other than Crystal Dangerfield, which I think is a natural, is maybe "the Blaze", or "Blazer" (her HS team is the Blaze) or mebbe just plain Danger. Or something. Quick. (And PLEASE, no meth jokes. The Rodney warm-overs are bad enough. Plenty bad enough.)
The first thing that came to my mind when Crystal committed was "Danger Zone". From the Kenny Loggins song in Top Gun. Seems to fit perfectly as a continuation of the MoJet theme, and what opponents will be facing when they step onto the court with Crystal.

Oh, and I think I was the one who first came up with MoJet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom