Dana Evans (2017) to Louisville | The Boneyard

Dana Evans (2017) to Louisville

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Was this expected or a surprise? What other schools was she considering? Nice pickup for L'ville!!

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Was this expected or a surprise? What other schools was she considering? Nice pickup for L'ville!!

Tennessee and Purdue. Lady Vol fans expected her to commit to them.. heck, I even thought she was going to Tennessee.

This isn't a complete surprise (especially when you consider Hayes commitment to Tennessee) but because of the ample opportunities to play available in the next few years a lot of people still had hope for Evans.

Reaction Score
So how many kids are there on Louisville's roster now? Next year? Next?

Walsh is a great recruiter, but is he really helping these kids if he's packing his bench?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
So how many kids are there on Louisville's roster now? Next year? Next?

Walsh is a great recruiter, but is he really helping these kids if he's packing his bench?
Some people are super critical of the way Walsh recruits but frankly, I have no issue with it. I also have no issue with kids getting "recruited over" or recruiting more than 1 kid for a position. The kids who practice, develop, and ultimately play the best will the ones who get the majority of the minutes. If the lesser minute folks don't like it, they can transfer to a school that will afford them more PT.

Geno always talks about treating his team like "basketball players", not like girls or women. This is not T-league where it should be equal opportunity for everyone. And for the record, I have complete respect for any kid who transfers after giving it a shot at UCONN. Ekmark gave it 2 years and realized she was always going to be a role player buried deep on the bench while at UCONN so she opted for closer to home at a program where she should get more PT.

Banks went to Penn State and was one of the top scorers. Johnson went to Wisconsin and was one of their top scorers. Edwards went to USC and was one of their top scorers. All these kids, to one extent or another, were buried (sometimes at the end) on the UCONN bench and weren't likely to see their PT ever increase. Geno recruited over and around them. He got kids who were better, and those 3 just weren't getting the PT they wanted.

I TOTALLY respect their decisions to leave, as I do for Samarie and EDD. Those last 2 left for very personal reasons that had nothing to do with PT. I can't speak for Boykin but got the feeling UCONN was just too much and too intense for her (but there were numerous reports that she really wanted to be closer to home, and Penn State is closer to Maryland than UCONN is), so I'm not sure either way.

Point is that I have no issue with Walz, nor Mulkey, nor any other coach who wants to have 14 or 15 kids on their roster. These kids get recruited by many colleges and they get plenty of time to make their best decision at the time. It's certainly no mystery when a kid is joining a team that already has 13 kids on it and she's #14.

Reaction Score
Some people are super critical of the way Walsh recruits but frankly, I have no issue with it. I also have no issue with kids getting "recruited over" or recruiting more than 1 kid for a position. The kids who practice, develop, and ultimately play the best will the ones who get the majority of the minutes. If the lesser minute folks don't like it, they can transfer to a school that will afford them more PT.

Point is that I have no issue with Walz, nor Mulkey, nor any other coach who wants to have 14 or 15 kids on their roster. These kids get recruited by many colleges and they get plenty of time to make their best decision at the time. It's certainly no mystery when a kid is joining a team that already has 13 kids on it and she's #14.

I agree with your basic assertion but remember that some coaches try to sell these recruits by making promises about playing time and where they will play on the court and then stick the player at the end of the bench as soon as something shinier comes along..................ultimately it's up to the player and her family to make an honest assessment of their abilities and match that to a team that can really use their skills to the maximum...................

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
Tennessee and Purdue. Lady Vol fans expected her to commit to them.. heck, I even thought she was going to Tennessee.

This isn't a complete surprise (especially when you consider Hayes commitment to Tennessee) but because of the ample opportunities to play available in the next few years a lot of people still had hope for Evans.

Once Anastasia Hayes committed, TN fans were not surprised to see Evans go elsewhere. The Lady Vols have Cooper and Hayes that will play 3 years together.

Reaction Score
I have no idea who Bill Walsh of basketball is, but I think about 99% of college wbb fans across the country want their coach to become an Auriemma, not a Bill Walsh.

Jeff Walz is entering his tenth year. Auriemma won his first championship in his tenth year. Auriemma never made it to the NCAA until his forth year. Jeff Walz was there in his first year and played for the championship in his second year. Jeff Walz took two teams to the national championship game in his first nine years.

Jeff Walz has never had anything like the overall quality of players on any one team that has been normal for Auriemma since 1995, but he's getting there this year for the first time.

Perhaps a better evaluation of Jeff Walz can be made in the next two or three years. Yet, the game and quality of competition Walz is facing now that his team has arrived in player quality is arguably better than what Auriemma faced when he won his first title in 1995. Much of that is due to Auriemma and UConn, plus Tennessee and what she did. Many athletic programs, including Tom Jurich and Louisville, wanted to become a UConn or Tennessee. Louisville has aimed more at UConn.

You can criticize Walz all you want, but you guys have watched him develop and if you're honest you must admit Louisville is likely best set to become the new best challenge to Auriemma. You would also have to admit were Auriemma to retire anytime soon, Jeff Walz's name would be at the top or very near the top of the list for the new UConn coach. But, he's unavailable, even to UConn. ;-)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Jeff is a very good coach who has had a lot of success. We tease about his plaid shirt and wide net approach to recruiting.

I would say that Louisville is poised to be one of the challengers to UConn--but not the primary challenger.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Louisville has aimed more at UConn.

The Wire - You Come At the King, You Best Not Miss.

Louisville has really really bad aim!

You can criticize Walz all you want…

No worries we will!

…., but you guys have watched him develop and if you're honest you must admit Louisville is likely best set to become the new best challenge to Auriemma.

Honestly” I never lie to myself, and neither should you. Dawn and Muffett are infinitely closer challengers

You would also have to admit were Auriemma to retire anytime soon, Jeff Walz's name would be at the top or very near the top of the list…...

Yes, Geno has said repeatedly that there will always be an openings at his restaurant, and you are right Jeff’s name is at the top of the list right behind those Duke Graduates.

But, he's unavailable, even to UConn. ;-)

Good to know, I’ll call over to Geno's Grill and cancel Jeff’s interview for that second shift waiter position.

Reaction Score
G Dana Evans (2017) to Louisville

#3 ProspectsNation
#7 ASGR
#7 ESPN/Hoopgurlz
#7 Dan Olson Collegiate Girls Basketball Report

***Dan Olson also does the ESPN ratings

My predictions in June
Dana Evans to Luu-ah-vul Bingo! (This was the easier one)
Megan Walker to Notre Dame
Chennedy Carter to Baylor (the real #1 player in the country)

Reaction Score
Are you kidding me? I respect the heck out of Ekmark too but it takes her two full years to figure she isn't going to get playing time? That was the case when she showed up for freshman orientation just like 90% of the other players who transfer from UConn. Sadie Edwards was rated higher and she knew it and got out of dodge fast to USC who can use her talents. Not saying who's right or wrong but if it's playing time you are after you're not smart being a second level recruit like Ekmark (based onHusky standards ) going to a school like UConn. Very predictable outcome you rot for two years. Ekmark overreached with UConn and will be great at Az State where she belonged in the first place.

Teniya Page #27 2015 class pg goes to Penn State plays 37 minutes a game freshman year 15 ppg, 4 apg
All Big Ten Second Team
Unanimous All Big Ten Freshman
Team was 6-24 With Page 12-19

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I had the wrong impression that Huskies weren't too great at their new teams after transferring but your post made me realize not the case. Johnson was really good. Banks not quite living up to expectations but good. The kid that went to Boston College yikes.

Edwards and Ekmark will do well. De’Janae Boykin will play with T. Page at Penn State in Spring 2017.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I agree with your basic assertion but remember that some coaches try to sell these recruits by making promises about playing time and where they will play on the court and then stick the player at the end of the bench as soon as something shinier comes along...ultimately it's up to the player and her family to make an honest assessment of their abilities and match that to a team that can really use their skills to the maximum....

Well said!!!

Reaction Score

Geno always talks about treating his team like "basketball players", not like girls or women. This is not T-league where it should be equal opportunity for everyone. And for the record, I have complete respect for any kid who transfers after giving it a shot at UCONN. Ekmark gave it 2 years and realized she was always going to be a role player buried deep on the bench while at UCONN so she opted for closer to home at a program where she should get more PT.

Banks went to Penn State and was one of the top scorers. Johnson went to Wisconsin and was one of their top scorers. Edwards went to USC and was one of their top scorers. All these kids, to one extent or another, were buried (sometimes at the end) on the UCONN bench and weren't likely to see their PT ever increase. Geno recruited over and around them. He got kids who were better, and those 3 just weren't getting the PT they wanted.

I TOTALLY respect their decisions to leave, as I do for Samarie and EDD. Those last 2 left for very personal reasons that had nothing to do with PT. I can't speak for Boykin but got the feeling UCONN was just too much and too intense for her (but there were numerous reports that she really wanted to be closer to home, and Penn State is closer to Maryland than UCONN is), so I'm not sure either way.

I have issues with any coach carrying 14 to 15 players. Geno can't keep 10-12 players happy. Players need to notice high roster numbers and be realistic about their chances of getting stuck like Taja Cole thought she did at Louisville. Don't go to a school with 15 freaking players if you aren't a can't miss player. Cole got 15 mpg, never looked comfortable or good for that matter and wanted to be the main cog so she chose Georgia. Probably a good move.

Reaction Score
I've never agreed with the narrative that somehow Louisville hasn't had top talent. Angel is and was one of the top players on the planet. The Louisville team that lost in the Elite Eight on it's own home floor in 2014 had three players go to the WNBA that season. Not many college women's teams can ever say that. That was a strong roster.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Welcome. You have covered so much ground far too quickly.
I have issues with any coach carrying 14 to 15 players.
Sound like an issue with the NCAA not with the coaches.
Geno can't keep 10-12 players happy.
Nonsense! The 2008-09 UCONN roster included 14 Players, it would have been 15 if EDD had stayed. They were all pretty darn happy.
Players need to notice high roster numbers and be realistic about their chances of getting stuck like Taja Cole thought she did at Louisville. Don't go to a school with 15 freaking players if you aren't a can't miss player. Cole got 15 mpg, never looked comfortable or good for that matter and wanted to be the main cog so she chose Georgia. Probably a good move.
Fact check: Thank goodness that the players are more aware of the rosters size and playing time than you are. The roster that Taja signed on to at Louisville was 12 (including Taja). No one in the world (including Taja) would consider Taja a “can't miss player or a “main cog”. She will do well at Georgia but she could have done just at well at Louisville. It’s about the skill set not the size of the roster because guess how many players are on the Georgia roster?

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
and if you're honest you must admit Louisville is likely best set to become the new best challenge to Auriemma.

Louisville has yet to even make the ACC tournament final let alone win the ACC. And now they're the best challenge to UConn?

I think Lousiville should be worrying about FSU, Syracuse, and Notre Dame before they turn their sights on UConn.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
The NCAA allows 15 players yet people want to complain if a coach actually carriers 15 players. How about we ask coaches to start benching players for the remainder of a game after they pick up their 4th foul even though 5 fouls are the limit. It is not fair to those players sitting on the bench with 0 fouls to be played-over by players who obviously cannot play without fouling.

Complaining that a coach has the maximum number of players on the roster is ridiculous. How many other teams in other sports do we complain about carrying the maximum number of players? NBA? WNBA? MLB? NFL? MLS? NCAAF?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom