Dan Should Be On This List ... | The Boneyard

Dan Should Be On This List ...

Reaction Score
I realize this was generated weeks ago but it does say it is updated. Nice to see Steve Pikiell on the list as he should be.
Yes, some will say I may be seeing things through my Husky Blue glasses but Dan Hurley should at least be in the picture.
He has done what many would view unthinkable in a short period of time. His handling of the players and game management leave little room for second guessing.
A big run in The Dance will provide the eventual Coach Of The Year. Not likely this year for us but Dan has to be in the conversation.
10 College Basketball National Coach of the Year Candidates

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Well, we’re finishing with the record we were pretty much expected to have so it doesn’t make much of a splash. The change in climate and culture and excitement around the team is much more intangible and hard to measure by those on the outside.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
DH's fortunes this season turned when Akok went down and Pork Chop entered the scene. Not saying that Akok isn't an asset but to be honest - Whaley does much more for the team at this point in time vs Akok. That opened up things for many players and put more pressure on CV and Bouk and both guys came through
His handling of AG is very note worthy
DH has improved his time management and his game coaching skills - I was very concerned about these areas at mid point of the season.

Reaction Score
Next year, if he reaches 25 wins, he will absolutely be on any (sane persons) short list for COY. I can absolutely imagine this happening too.

This year, mmmm, had to win half of the close games (even just 4-5) UConn lost IMO. Some of those losses are just brutally gut wrenching, some of the most difficult UConn has faced, as far as regular season games are concerned (pre-March) in some time maybe 3 decades. Go 4-5 in those games and, at 22-8, ya, he should be on that list. This has been the most HOPEFUL, but at the same time, brutal, but at the same time, exciting, but at the same time gut punch season I have ever watched as a UConn fan (started in 1994). Maybe THE MOST. Love the team but my god.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
DH's fortunes this season turned when Akok went down and Pork Chop entered the scene. Not saying that Akok isn't an asset but to be honest - Whaley does much more for the team at this point in time vs Akok. That opened up things for many players and put more pressure on CV and Bouk and both guys came through
DH has improved his time management and his game coaching skills - I was very concerned about these areas at mid point of the season.

If only he saw it earlier and it was Whaley and Akok out there i/o JC and Akok. Nothing against JC, because he had his fair share of blocked shots early on in the season, but I think to watch Whaley and Akok on offense having those two in the post would have been fun to watch.

Reaction Score
Whaley must be most improved player niw

Reaction Score
guy is masterful. i didn’t expect a turnaround this year. wow

Reaction Score
If only he saw it earlier and it was Whaley and Akok out there i/o JC and Akok. Nothing against JC, because he had his fair share of blocked shots early on in the season, but I think to watch Whaley and Akok on offense having those two in the post would have been fun to watch.
His substitution in games has been strong - how he manages his rotation esp with 8 players.

Reaction Score
His substitution in games has been strong - how he manages his rotation esp with 8 players.
Yea, just thinking some of those close ones earlier in the year if Whaley was capable of doing then what he's doing now. Could be a totally different spot going into post season. Total "what if" scenario. But would have been interesting to see Whaley full speed ahead while Akok was still healthy. We lost so many baskets early on due to mishandled passes and soft finished with Josh.

Reaction Score
Polly getting hurt opened the door for JB to start and pick up more minutes as well.

Reaction Score
I’ll say this. DH improved his game too, compared to early season. Quicker hook. Quicker TOs. Better substitutions. Seems like he gained a real good feel for what kids can do under game conditions.

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
I’ll say this. DH improved his game too, compared to early season. Quicker hook. Quicker TOs. Better substitutions. Seems like he gained a real good feel for what kids can do under game conditions.
Yup, coaches get more comfortable as the season goes on too. Also vast improvements from Gaff and Bouk helped in this regard. Funny to think JB was even starting at the beginning of the season and Gaffney at times looked as though he didn't belong on the court. Have to give some credit on player development to DH but this is also the case for a lot of freshman when they find their groove. IW and Akok both at 100percent down low would have been absolutely lethal. Wish that had happened. Another thing that I wanted to say was I never felt 1/10 of the admiration for KO that I feel for DH, even during the National championship run. DH has this polarizing effect on both fans and players.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom