Dan Hurley's on court strategy Uconn Blog | The Boneyard

Dan Hurley's on court strategy Uconn Blog

Reaction Score
Somebody post this please, this is good stuff. It speaks of good coaching and game planning.

Reading stuff like this boosts my optimism, and this smarter utilization of next year's roster would be oh so much fun to watch. Let's get to balling!!

Reaction Score
If that's DH's strategy was this really a win in our search for a new head coach. I would think we didn't want him to come in here and repeat the failures of the past few years...

What is the issue? Small lineups? It's not like they were the only two coaches to try that.

Hurley's offense is based around dribble penetration -- something we got almost none of for the last two seasons.

Reaction Score
What is the issue? Small lineups? It's not like they were the only two coaches to try that.

Hurley's offense is based around dribble penetration -- something we got almost none of for the last two seasons.
i remember dribble penetrating with boatright and napier. when you have 2 shifty guards it is practically impossible to stop because they had giffey or daniels waiting on the wings for a wide open three, and if you gamble by covering them you open up the lane for one of our guards to just drive it in and either score an easy layup or dish it. if we find a shooter (or adams/vital are able to move around without the ball and get better at shooting) then we can utilize this offensive strategy again

Reaction Score
“Inside passing”? I don’t know if I can even picture what that looks like anymore.
That’s because Jalen was driving and flinging with the clock winding down. I’m also starting to think that if our 3 point shooters get better looks we won’t be 300th in the country. I feel like Hurley is going to add a significant piece in the next 6 weeks, that’s part of his “strategy”.

Reaction Score
Reading that article I get that Hurley is down for positionless basketball... While Ollie was not. LOL ironic.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
Easy shots for everyone & exciting defensive pressure sounds great to me!

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Everyone has a plan until we start heaving up brick.

We'll see if these guys can shoot and finish. Otherwise they won't get better.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Dribble penetration is the only thing we did for the last two years, except take bad threes. It's our whole offense. My concern with the URI offense is that it looked like a better executed version of the Ollie offense. This description confirms that. High ball screens and dribble penetration. Now, add some slashers to the rim and passing off the penetration and it looks better.

I don't know what the UConn Blog people are watching if they think Ollie ran a rigid and old fashioned lineup. If anything he played way too small, putting people like Larrier out of position at the PF. The focus on height is misleading. Bulk and strength also matters. Fortunately, this article is pretty poorly researched, as Hurley played small because that's all he had to work with. When he had proper centers or PFs, he played them appropriately.

So as a positive, he adapts his approach to his personnel. I do not expect him to play the same with with this roster that he did last year with URI's. It's a very different group of players.

Reaction Score
We’ve seen progress with the forwards too; Isaiah Whaley and Mamadou Diarra are both quick big men who are slowly developing their scoring touches. Both were so inconsistent on the offensive end it is hard to know if they are developing at all.

Reaction Score
Dribble penetration is the only thing we did for the last two years, except take bad threes. It's our whole offense.

Aimlessly passing the ball around the perimeter and then driving recklessly to the hoop with 5 seconds on the shot clock is not an offense based on dribble penetration.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Aimlessly passing the ball around the perimeter and then driving recklessly to the hoop with 5 seconds on the shot clock is not an offense based on dribble penetration.

Sure it is. It's just a bad one. We ran lots of high ball screens...poorly, and had guards waving people away for an iso as they recklessly plowed through 3-4 defenders. But dribble penetration was very much the basis of our offense. It's all we had, even when Larrier fumbled the ball away.

I don't think Hurley's offense will be "based on dribble penetration". That was simply the result of running a four guard offense. That's a good thing, as dribble penetration shouldn't be the basis of any competent offense, merely a component of it. I hope and expect that we'll see more motion of both players and the ball. Meaningful motion designed to stress the defense. Not the Ollie motion where we weave while the defense stands still watching us and expending no energy.

Reaction Score

That was a joke... I didn't say anything about Hurley's roster or strategy at URI.

If his strategy is "copy and paste" (the previous posters jab at OP) then, we wouldn't want him to repeat our failures of the past few seasons at Uconn.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Fortunately, this article is pretty poorly researched, as Hurley played small because that's all he had to work with. When he had proper centers or PFs, he played them appropriately.
So as a positive, he adapts his approach to his personnel. I do not expect him to play the same with with this roster that he did last year with URI's. It's a very different group of players.

THis was my thinking with Hurley coming in. And something I was happy about. UCONN isn't a place where you can pick stud after stud for positions to fill holes. We're going to have to change to suit personnel. I think Danny does that.

I didn't have a clue what the article is talking about because almost all the points seem to be the exact opposite of real life. jmo.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom