Dan Hurley's Brutal Honesty, Tough Love Resonates with Jalen Adams | The Boneyard

Dan Hurley's Brutal Honesty, Tough Love Resonates with Jalen Adams

Reaction Score
"He pretty much told me how special I could be — if I worked,” Adams said, after the Huskies’ workout last Friday. “He pretty much kept it honest with me. All my life, I’ve cheated and took the easy way. That’s what got me in the position I’m in now. He just told me, one year of work, doing all the things that I didn’t commit myself to, could change my life forever. Once he said that, it kind of stuck with me.”

Reaction Score
"He pretty much told me how special I could be — if I worked,” Adams said, after the Huskies’ workout last Friday. “He pretty much kept it honest with me. All my life, I’ve cheated and took the easy way. That’s what got me in the position I’m in now. He just told me, one year of work, doing all the things that I didn’t commit myself to, could change my life forever. Once he said that, it kind of stuck with me.”
That > "get in the gym"

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Yes, please.

Reaction Score
It takes a lot of maturity to admit something like this. Adams probably never would have said this last year. Good for him.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
upload_2018-6-20_9-40-59.png

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It takes a lot of maturity to admit something like this. Adams probably never would have said this last year. Good for him.
Living up to those words shows more maturity. When I see that, I'll be more impressed. Jalen always talked the talk but he, as he noted, is talented enough to get by on skill alone. If he lives up to 100% effort every time he walks onto the court, practice or game day, at both ends of the floor, I'll be impressed both with him and with Hurley, and probably just a little angry at Ollie, truth be told.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Living up those words shows more maturity. When I see that, I'll be more impressed. Jalen always talked the talk but he, as he noted, is talented enough to get by skill alone. If he lives up to 100% effort every time he walks onto the court, practice or game day, at both ends of the floor, I'll be impressed both with him and with Hurley, and probably just a little angry at Ollie, truth be told.

I’ve been angry at Ollie for two years.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Humility: Seeing things as they really are.

Change is not as painful as resistance to change.

Can't wait to see the reward Jalen will reap from this. Hurley will hold him to this and he knows it.

Creating a climate of leadership.

Reaction Score
Nothing new here. KO told him the same thing and JO did the same same every off season. Some people need more time to mature. Kevin flatly told him during his freshman yr that he can't rely on talent alone

Reaction Score
All these puff pieces mean absolutely nothing. We need to wait until November when we see this team on the court before believing any of it. I am hoping to see a different team out there in the Fall. But as of right now, that is really all we have: hope.

Reaction Score
All these puff pieces mean absolutely nothing. We need to wait until November when we see this team on the court before believing any of it. I am hoping to see a different team out there in the Fall. But as of right now, that is really all we have: hope.
I'd agree with that. The proof is in the pudding, as they say. But I have to admit, it certainly seems like Hurley has a better plan of attack than we've seen the last few seasons.

huskiepride

New Kid On the block
Reaction Score
i am happy Jalen was mature enough to take Hurley's advice. If can be tough for a kid thats been told he is the best thing this town have ever had since he picked up a basketball to take tough constrictive criticism. He fwiw he is always in the gym Vital is too. I follow both of the on insta and their post are full of motivational gym shots lol

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
You simply have to be encouraged by these comments from players. Jalen even mentioned changing his body. If he can add some strength, his ability to finish at the rim will get even better. His outside shooting could improve as well. But I really want to see him put forth full effort on defense.

Reaction Score
But as of right now, that is really all we have: hope.
Completely tone deaf.
This is what is different:
A new coach with a proven record.
The unheard of occurrence of a coaching change not resulting in any loss of players.
Multiple quotes from players indicating that they believe that Hurley is providing something that was lacking.

The heightened expectations on the BY are supported by evidence, not just hope.

And go piss in your own soup.

Reaction Score

Yep, there are encouraging but add up to nothing.

Reaction Score
It has to be frustrating when guys in Jalens 2015 class, ranked below him, are being drafted in the NBA.

Luke Kennard -25th ranked in 2015
Deyonta Davis - 26th
Thomas Bryant - 27th
Donovan Mitchell - 31st
Malachi Richardson - 35th
Dejounte Murray - 46th
Marquese Chriss - 56th
Aaron Holiday - 60th
Tyler Lydon - 64th
Shake Milton - 66th
Jacob Evans - 99th
Donte Divincenzo - 120th