Dan Hurley says he won't coach into his 60s | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Dan Hurley says he won't coach into his 60s

Reaction Score
I don't believe him, not for 1 second. Money, legacy spotlight etc. Coach K, Roy Williams, Pitino, Calhoun, Boeheim. The list goes on forever. He's a hoop lifer from a hoop lifer family who when he's 60 is not going to start paying full time pickleball or bridge, so everyone can now relax.

Reaction Score
Yes people's priorities can change. And yes money often dictates moves in life. But DH realized something at UConn that he has been searching for his WHOLE adult life: equality with his brother and dad. And he already passed them both! My point here is that this job, this program, these kids mean a lot more to him than just status or money. We benefit from this, clearly, but I think he is in his last job.

Reaction Score
Good article from Mike Anthony. Everyone should read it.

Will Hurley still be coaching when he’s 65, like many in his profession?

“No chance,” he said sharply, adamantly. “Zero. No way. Not a chance in hell.”

“If you can’t do this thing, I would never be someone who just hung around after he lost his fastball, where he can’t put everything he’s got into the job, isn’t as sharp,” Hurley said. “Forget legacy, too. I have this thing about me: This is kids’ lives. A head college coach is probably going to have the greatest impact on their lives, besides the parents. When they’re at an age where they can really start to understand and put their life together, who’s going to drive that home?’

Alternate access:

Dan Hurley's 'foot on the gas' approach built UConn basketball. It's also why he won't coach into his 60s

A offhand dig at Pitino?

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I thought the same. People always think they're going to be different at a certain age and then when they get

The present may not be ALL he cares about, but he is showing a growing sense that it is of paramount importance and all we truly have. But functionally, I'm just quibbling atop overall admiration for his current growth path, your well-expressed recognition of it.

This resonates in a new recent light.

Part of completing my relocation from CT to KY, is 'moving into' being 70, which includes elements of resetting, reimagining, and reconfiguring my life.

Ostensibly, I've jumped off from a prior lifetime as a Northeasterner in order to be of service and witness the miracle of grandparenting since 5 weeks before baby's birth...while navigating the puzzle of aging.

Among other things, I've updated Pete Townsend's 1965 lyric to, "Hope I die before I get old old." I'm operating with a framework that my systems will continue to rack up both predictable & unpredictable indicators of advanced mileage in years to come. That subject was part of my first visit last Friday with my new primary care physician.

My previous 'reset' came at 56, when accepted that it was harder & harder to be like I was at 42. I set about trying to be 56 until I was 70, which similarly got harder & harder. My scaled back aim is to work with being 70 until 77. Past that, IDK, and I'm okay with that today.

For certain, I'll never again be as young as I am today.

Thanks for giving me this reminder to incorporate into my approaching & acting on today's continued medical insurance/body care records-keeping, planning, and life design project.

Last week's view here of what others are doing in retirement was similarly helpful.

It's been a great season to be a UConn Husky basketball fan!

Hans always dropping knowledge and wisdom.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
They should add the “we’re obsessed” taglines to pre game hype videos and promotional material.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
But even though I’m also in the camp of “we’ll see” in 10 years, knowing how much stress this causes Hurley, and his relationship with Wright, I wouldn’t be shocked if he hung it up early to focus on his mental health and family.

Reaction Score
Revealing comment. Hurley must think Geno has "lost his fast ball" or, more likely, that he suspects coaching takes more out of him than it does coaches over sixty. Hope he changes his mind before he gets there. I'm no expert but he seems to me the best there is.

Reaction Score
When Pat Summitt got 1000 wins, Geno said there was no way he would be coaching long enough to get near 1000.

He hit 1200 last night.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I've heard it put this way: "You're never too old, but you're always too young to know it."

Age is nothing. Health is everything. I can barely list the activities I didn't get into until after age 60.

Even now, at 86, I hang around college basketball forums.

I still think I'm 29. But sometimes my body thinks otherwise. We're constantly having fights about this, but my mind and my body tend to balance things out. It's a little give and take, we manage.

Reaction Score
I still think I'm 29. But sometimes my body thinks otherwise. We're constantly having fights about this, but my mind and my body tend to balance things out. It's a little give and take, we manage., "
The hardest part of thinking young, I find, is recapturing the sense of being indestructible. My body just isn't buying it. But as I like to say, "My eyesight is gone. My reflexes are shot. And I tend to nod off at odd moments. But thank God I can still drive."

Reaction Score
They say nobody wants to live to 110 except a guy who is 109. Let's see what Hurley thinks when he is 59. At that point, coaching at 60 might be very attractive.
It will be. You know how I know? Name a coach who walked away without getting fired, or going pro at 59 and not eventually going back in.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I could see him walking away if he lost his competitive fire, but I don't see him losing that in his 60s. Jim Calhoun still had it late in his career. I think Hurley is 51, so I'll gladly take 9 more years of this, especially if UConn stays at this level. Maybe if the NBA comes calling and he wants a new challenge. I just don't see any scenario of Hurley walking away in his 60s and going off into the sunset.
These coaches make so much money now, why wouldn’t you walk away? Go be an nba assistant, or better yet, an nba consultant or tv guy.

Reaction Score
These coaches make so much money now, why wouldn’t you walk away? Go be an nba assistant, or better yet, an nba consultant or tv guy.
Because they never do. They might do it for a year or 2 but always back to coaching. Exceptions? When they get fired. Look at the color comentators in hoops. All released or fired coaches who do it to earn a living.

Reaction Score
These coaches make so much money now, why wouldn’t you walk away?
It's in the blood.

When Steve Young used to appear on PTI, he would talk about the super-uber-monumental-intense rush of playing and that he would absolutely kill to be able to do it again.

Reaction Score
Living in the moment means that where you are is where you want to be. I hope that thought crosses Danny's mind every day. I hope he coaches as long as he wants to, at UConn. Lastly, I hope when he goes, it's on a white horse; with no Bob Knight or Boeheim style denouement.
"denouement". This has to be a Boneyard first.............so to speak.

Reaction Score
But even though I’m also in the camp of “we’ll see” in 10 years, knowing how much stress this causes Hurley, and his relationship with Wright, I wouldn’t be shocked if he hung it up early to focus on his mental health and family.
DH may have overcome the mental health issue with the 2023 National Championship. He proved he too, in a family of major achievers, could do something rare and very difficult.
As for money, which some here focus on, my bet is family is more important. Is Andrea wearing designer outfits to games or UConn sweatshirts? Is DH wearing expensive suits? My take is they are a blue collar family, with blue collar values related to work, family and lifestyle and DH knows he's already set for a life he likely never imagined while growing up in Jersey City.
He'll do what feels right at the time but my guess is he won't be here in his 70's.
Imagine listening to his takes on a game sitting with Hudson, Smith and Barkley.............

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom