Dan Hurley on Rothstein's Podcast | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Dan Hurley on Rothstein's Podcast

Reaction Score
I didn't think the 9 deep comment had any bearing going forward after Johnson comes back. The 9 deep comment at the 19:50ish mark was answering how deep in the roster he expected to go this week at PK. Just listened a second time and he also said "out there" when answering the question. No reference to 9 deep after Johnson comes back. He'll play the guys and they'll stay on the court if producing and minutes and rotation will shorten if they are not.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I can’t see who he could bench on this list
He gave an answer, it will depend on who has it that day. It won't always be the same guy. It will be based on matchups. My guess is that Calcaterra plays the least min per game of those 10 guys, probably Clingan next fewest. Hurley is a defense first coach, and Joey's defense stands out from the other 9, and not in a good way. That happened against cupcakes, quality BE guards may absolutely light him up. I still think his shooting and FT shooting gets him some minutes.

Reaction Score
He gave an answer, it will depend on who has it that day. It won't always be the same guy. It will be based on matchups. My guess is that Calcaterra plays the least min per game of those 10 guys, probably Clingan next fewest. Hurley is a defense first coach, and Joey's defense stands out from the other 9, and not in a good way. That happened against cupcakes, quality BE guards may absolutely light him up. I still think his shooting and FT shooting gets him some minutes.
Maybe on Calcaterra but Diarra has pretty much been unplayable the last 3 games.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Maybe on Calcaterra but Diarra has pretty much been unplayable the last 3 games.
That's harsh. His D was much better than Joey C's. He's just been out of control, playing too fast and making mistakes on offense. I hope he can fix that. But Diarra is probably what we originally expected, a 10-15 min guy, especially with AJax playing some PG and AK playing some at the 3.

Don't get me wrong, I love having a savvy 5th year guard who can shoot and is automatic at the line. Those guys can be crucial in crunch time. I'm just imagining him trying to stay in front of some of the guards we will face.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Newton
Jackson
Hawkins
Karaban
Sanogo

Johnson
Alleyne
Diarra
Clingan

It just makes sense. Joey will play when we’re up big or need shooting/ft shooting.

Reaction Score
Definitely a tough call. Diarra and Calcaterra have both looked everywhere from amazing to downright unplayable at times. Diarra has better defense, Calcaterra better shooting. I'd call them about a wash with ballhandling and (too many) turnovers.

Knowing Hurley, he'll lean towards the better defender. Especially now that we should be able to throw 3 shooters onto the floor at any given time without him.
To say these two may be unplayable is a bit of a reach. I assume you have watched other games. Joey C and Hassan are basically our 4th and 5th guards behind Newton, Hawk, Alleyne and AJ. Name me another team in the country with this depth. They both bring things that will serve us well.

Reaction Score
To say these two may be unplayable is a bit of a reach. I assume you have watched other games. Joey C and Hassan are basically our 4th and 5th guards behind Newton, Hawk, Alleyne and AJ. Name me another team in the country with this depth. They both bring things that will serve us well.

I don't think it's a reach at all. If Joey turna it over and can't defend, he may not see the floor. Diarra will probably play because Hurley loves defenders... but his use is going to be severely limited if he can't shoot.

Reaction Score
Definitely a tough call. Diarra and Calcaterra have both looked everywhere from amazing to downright unplayable at times. Diarra has better defense, Calcaterra better shooting. I'd call them about a wash with ballhandling and (too many) turnovers.

Knowing Hurley, he'll lean towards the better defender. Especially now that we should be able to throw 3 shooters onto the floor at any given time without him.
Agree…and Joey C is done after one year so maybe he leans to Diarra all else being equal? I think it’s game/situation dependent

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom