Dan Hurley on Rothstein's Podcast | The Boneyard

Dan Hurley on Rothstein's Podcast

Reaction Score
- Some angst early when 2 of the 3 returning players went down early and it was a brand new team. Thought they handled it well

- Scrimmages against Harvard and moreso Virginia were a good gauge to judge their talent, especially the freshman/transfers

- 25 of next 26 are high major/BE games, tough stretch

- Injuries a blessing in disguise to help the transfer wings move from transfers to UConn players with those minutes

- Hasn't coached a shooter like Hawkins. Maybe JR Smith or Corey Stokes in HS. Quick release is something he hasn't seen

- Andre is incredibly unique/throwback athlete. Always all about the team and pushing the ball in transition. Facilitating is his best skill but expects to see him attack the rim and post up smaller guards. Player comps from Hurley is Thybulle from Washington/76ers

- Lose games because of big mistakes, working with Andre at taking the singles instead of always going for HRs. Just let defense dictate where the ball should go

- Much better shooting team this year. Should help Sanogo with less zone defense/traps, Creighton keeping 3 guys in the paint. Going to have a ton more space

- Hopeful Samson Johnson is back soon, best case is early December. Perfect complement to Sanogo. Expects to play him alongside Karaban and one of the C's occasionally

- Deep team this year, minutes are going to be determined by what you're bringing that night. Expects to go 9 deep

- Still occasionally thinks about the R32 loss to Oregon at URI

- Incredible coaches in the Big East, best basketball conference for the past 25 years. Honor to coach at UConn after Calhoun, Geno, KO

- Preparation and mentality are key over next few weeks. We're in the We season right now, not Me season. Me season will be in April to talk about NIL/NBA dreams

- Biggest difference at UConn vs URI is more people living/dying with results. More scrutiny over every game but just turns off the notifications/outside noise and focuses on next game and locks in

- Hurley Thanksgiving was celebrated early on Saturday. Best side dish was the Grand Marnier sweet potatoes and Andrea's mac and cheese

Reaction Score
- Deep team this year, minutes are going to be determined by what you're bringing that night. Expects to go 9 deep

9 deep assumes that one of our rotation so far (including Johnson) will be riding the bench.

Not sure quite who that might be that will be sitting. It has felt like a battle between Diarra and Calcaterra for that last guard spot to me, despite the early talk from coach about Diarra/Newton battling for a starting spot. Maybe it's between Johnson and Clingan for the backup center spot? I'm not sure.

Reaction Score
Found his brief comments on Samson to be upbeat on his potential and he could see a time where AK/AS/SJ could be on the court together.. Not necessarily for extended periods.. Match up dependent.

Once healthy.. I am looking forward to see how he is reintegrated back into the rotation. As DH said..Players control minutes based on their performance on the court..

Thanks for heads up on the pod @navery12

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
Went and watched this one on YouTube and what a heartbreaker. They pretty much led the entire game until about a minute to go when Tyler Dorsey hit a three to take the lead.

Reaction Score
Nothing about Newton?
He lumped the perimeter guards together talking about them, but yeah nothing about his injury. Hopefully that's a very good thing.

Reaction Score
Love listening to DH interviews. I wish he had a weekly 20 min spot on a local radio show or podcast
Doesn't he do a weekly podcast on iHeart Radio with Crispino called the Coach's Show?

Reaction Score
Doesn't he do a weekly podcast on iHeart Radio with Crispino called the Coach's Show?
No he hasn't done that this year. If you can find it send it to me but I used to listen last year haven't seen it posted this year.

Reaction Score
No he hasn't done that this year. If you can find it send it to me but I used to listen last year haven't seen it posted this year.
Hasn't been one posted since the season started, but it's still happening and was posted preseason

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
9 deep assumes that one of our rotation so far (including Johnson) will be riding the bench.

Not sure quite who that might be that will be sitting. It has felt like a battle between Diarra and Calcaterra for that last guard spot to me, despite the early talk from coach about Diarra/Newton battling for a starting spot. Maybe it's between Johnson and Clingan for the backup center spot? I'm not sure.
Probably Calcaterra is the odd man out for defensive reasons. I think he will play some when we need shooting or are nursing a lead and need a FT shooter and heady player. I would expect Johnson to play some at the 5, where Sanogo has fouls and Clingan can't hang with an athletic 5.

I pointed out in the first game that Hurley put in a 2-3 zone with Karaban - Clingan - Johnson. It was Stonehill, but they simply had no answer for that. I think we we see AK at the 3 and SJ at 4, it may be when we run that 2-3.

Reaction Score
Hasn't been one posted since the season started, but it's still happening and was posted preseason

Right because he hasn't done an in season coaches show yet like I said. He had done one coaches show (if not 2) prior to the Atlantis tournament last year

Reaction Score
Probably Calcaterra is the odd man out for defensive reasons. I think he will play some when we need shooting or are nursing a lead and need a FT shooter and heady player.

Definitely a tough call. Diarra and Calcaterra have both looked everywhere from amazing to downright unplayable at times. Diarra has better defense, Calcaterra better shooting. I'd call them about a wash with ballhandling and (too many) turnovers.

Knowing Hurley, he'll lean towards the better defender. Especially now that we should be able to throw 3 shooters onto the floor at any given time without him.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
He lumped the perimeter guards together talking about them, but yeah nothing about his injury. Hopefully that's a very good thing.

Didn't he already say after the game that he's fine?

Reaction Score
Probably Calcaterra is the odd man out for defensive reasons. I think he will play some when we need shooting or are nursing a lead and need a FT shooter and heady player. I would expect Johnson to play some at the 5, where Sanogo has fouls and Clingan can't hang with an athletic 5.

I pointed out in the first game that Hurley put in a 2-3 zone with Karaban - Clingan - Johnson. It was Stonehill, but they simply had no answer for that. I think we we see AK at the 3 and SJ at 4, it may be when we run that 2-3.

I think Calcaterra is part of the rotation. When he is hot, he plays.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score

Newton
Hawkins
Jackson
Karaban
Sanogo

Clingan
Alleyne
Calcaterra
Diarra

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Newton
Hawkins
Jackson
Karaban
Sanogo

Clingan
Alleyne
Calcaterra
Diarra
You are missing Johnson. Hurley said 9 when Johnson comes back.

Reaction Score
Newton
Hawkins
Jackson
Karaban
Sanogo

Clingan
Alleyne
Calcaterra
Diarra

Yes. And Johnson makes 10. If we're going 10 deep, that means one of your bench players is sitting.

Reaction Score
IMO.. However you determine which players are in 6 thru 10 spots-- The depth/talent/chemistry/competency we have on our bench is going to provide us with a competitive advantage in most of the games we play. Teams that rely on their starting five and/or a short bench will be challenged..esp. if they have early foul trouble or a cold night shooting. Lets see how our depth plays out in Oregon

Reaction Score
- Some angst early when 2 of the 3 returning players went down early and it was a brand new team. Thought they handled it well

- Scrimmages against Harvard and moreso Virginia were a good gauge to judge their talent, especially the freshman/transfers

- 25 of next 26 are high major/BE games, tough stretch

- Injuries a blessing in disguise to help the transfer wings move from transfers to UConn players with those minutes

- Hasn't coached a shooter like Hawkins. Maybe JR Smith or Corey Stokes in HS. Quick release is something he hasn't seen

- Andre is incredibly unique/throwback athlete. Always all about the team and pushing the ball in transition. Facilitating is his best skill but expects to see him attack the rim and post up smaller guards. Player comps from Hurley is Thybulle from Washington/76ers

- Lose games because of big mistakes, working with Andre at taking the singles instead of always going for HRs. Just let defense dictate where the ball should go

- Much better shooting team this year. Should help Sanogo with less zone defense/traps, Creighton keeping 3 guys in the paint. Going to have a ton more space

- Hopeful Samson Johnson is back soon, best case is early December. Perfect complement to Sanogo. Expects to play him alongside Karaban and one of the C's occasionally

- Incredible coaches in the Big East, best basketball conference for the past 25 years. Honor to coach at UConn after Calhoun, Geno, KO

- Preparation and mentality are key over next few weeks. We're in the We season right now, not Me season. Me season will be in April to talk about NIL/NBA dreams

- Biggest difference at UConn vs URI is more people living/dying with results. More scrutiny over every game but just turns off the notifications/outside noise and focuses on next game and locks in

- Hurley Thanksgiving was celebrated early on Saturday. Best side dish was the Grand Marnier sweet potatoes and Andrea's mac and cheese
Grand Marnier Sweet Potatoes sound exceptional - just pulled the recipe

Reaction Score
IMO.. However you determine which players are in 6 thru 10 spots-- The depth/talent/chemistry/competency we have on our bench is going to provide us with a competitive advantage in most of the games we play. Teams that rely on their starting five and/or a short bench will be challenged..esp. if they have early foul trouble or a cold night shooting. Lets see how our depth plays out in Oregon
Ya..they all bring something to the table

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
oh, look!
lists here be like
Newton
Hawkins
Jackson
Karaban
Sanogo

Clingan