Dan Hurley on Jim Rome Show | The Boneyard

Dan Hurley on Jim Rome Show

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
“You know what, you’ve been calling me Bobby for about the last five years. If you guys want to take a station break, you can,” Hurley said. “But if you call me Bobby Hurley to my face one more time, we better take a station break.”

Older Rome fans will understand…

Reaction Score
“You know what, you’ve been calling me Bobby for about the last five years. If you guys want to take a station break, you can,” Hurley said. “But if you call me Bobby Hurley to my face one more time, we better take a station break.”

Not a big Jim Rome fan so I would enjoy it if Hurley jumped over the table and took down Rome. :)

I really can't listen to Rome. The way he speaks is like listening to nails on a chalkboard.

Reaction Score

Wasn't this staged?

Reaction Score
Wasn't this staged?

I don't think so. I think it was Everett knew exactly what he was planning on doing, but I don't think Rome thought it was going to happen. I didn't like Rome before that and, while I know he's still out there, I just haven't even come across him when watching/listening to stuff.

Reaction Score
I don't think so. I think it was Everett knew exactly what he was planning on doing, but I don't think Rome thought it was going to happen. I didn't like Rome before that and, while I know he's still out there, I just haven't even come across him when watching/listening to stuff.

One of those ESPN oral histories went into this. My recollection is that some senior executive thought Rome was too low-rent for ESPN2 - which I believe was launched around this time - and threatened to resign if he were hired (the origins of Rome's long-standing beef with ESPN) and people at the network were horrified when this happened (although this sort of stuff sells). Don't think it was scripted at all - the studio was shut down and the cops were called if I'm remembering correctly.

Reaction Score
In the age of the Will Smith/Chris Rock slap on live TV at the most prestigious award show, this Jim Rome incident wouldnt even make Sports Center.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Jim Rome is better than most these days, imo. But those on the FB side will remember how Jim loved Bob Diaco. Said he would send his kid to play for him.

Reaction Score
Indeed. And we are merely players. Not to derail the thread but this local band did a very fine version as a tribute

If you like Rush, try to catch YYNOT next time they’re in town.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
I’ve had the privilege to lead some big teams in my career and I consider myself a student of/leadership nerd.

I love to hear Dan talk about himself in the same way. He’s mentioned his discipline of studying leadership before, and relevant for this year how he reached out to K, Donovan among others in his immediate circle (Hurley Sr, Calhoun, Geno).

I think it’s incredibly admirable that the more success he’s achieved, the more mentorship he’s sought. That is the wisdom.

There are two concepts in modern leadership that are incredibly important: purpose and vulnerability.

Dan is incredibly transparent in both. He has regularly talked about his personal motivations in coaching fueled by his feeling of letting himself down as a player. That is his license to be maniacally tough on his team. It’s the “why” that he imparts on himself and then connects to them. You can’t play at UConn unless you hold yourself to the highest standard first, and from there Dan will keep you on track.

Hearing him talk about the role his Son has played in his development as a leader and the regularity to which he acknowledges his faults is the type of masculinity that has replaced the Bobby Knight archetype of the past. Dan is an open book and a self admitted work in progress. This offseason he was talking about his mental health struggles.

I know I tend to go 10 toes in on any coach that comes through the program, but I’m particularly reverent for the guy that’s currently leading the young men that we get joy from watching grow.

I bristle at what people too far away from the program reduce Hurley to based on his sideline antics. He’s an incredible modern leader.

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
I’ve had the privilege to lead some big teams in my career and I consider myself a student of/leadership nerd.

I love to hear Dan talk about himself in the same way. He’s mentioned his discipline of studying leadership before, and relevant for this year how he reached out to K, Donovan among others in his immediate circle (Hurley Sr, Calhoun, Geno).

I think it’s incredibly admirable that the more success he’s achieved, the more mentorship he’s sought. That is the wisdom.

There are two concepts in modern leadership that are incredibly important: purpose and vulnerability.

Dan is incredibly transparent in both. He has regularly talked about his personal motivations in coaching fueled by his feeling of letting himself down as a player. That is his license to be maniacally tough on his team. It’s the “why” that he imparts on himself and then connects to them. You can’t play at UConn unless you hold yourself to the highest standard first, and from there Dan will keep you on track.

Hearing him talk about the role his Son has played in his development as a leader and the regularity to which he acknowledges his faults is the type of masculinity that has replaced the Bobby Knight archetype of the past. Dan is an open book and a self admitted work in progress. This offseason he was talking about his mental health struggles.

I know I tend to go 10 toes in on any coach that comes through the program, but I’m particularly reverent for the guy that’s currently leading the young men that we get joy from watching grow.

I bristle at what people too far away from the program reduce Hurley to based on his sideline antics. He’s an incredible modern leader.
Hurley’s antics are generally because he is supporting his players, so that’s always going to be admirable to those who matter which is his team.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
I think Calhoun-esq is a bit of hyperbole. Calhoun built if from the ground up. Danny took over a floundering tanker and straightened it out and pointed it in the right direction. If he gets #2 this year he’s getting closer to JC.
If he gets #2 he will have a unique legacy all his own. Ppl talk about Florida’s back to back but that was the exact same team 2 years in a row. This UConn team is a very different team than last year, so to me whatever happens this season is way more of a testament to Hurley’s coaching than that second championship was for Donovan and would be something that hasn’t been done since I don’t know when

Reaction Score
Not a big Jim Rome fan so I would enjoy it if Hurley jumped over the table and took down Rome. :)

I really can't listen to Rome. The way he speaks is like listening to nails on a chalkboard.
It’s actually worse…..I’d rather listen to Steven A and that’s saying something

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

Phenomenal post. If Dan wants it, the face of college basketball is his for the taking.

Reaction Score
I think Calhoun-esq is a bit of hyperbole. Calhoun built if from the ground up. Danny took over a floundering tanker and straightened it out and pointed it in the right direction. If he gets #2 this year he’s getting closer to JC.
I don't even like comparing the 2. Hurley to a man will tell you what Calhoun did is so impressive. It's a large part of the 'why' he chose to leave his old job for this job.
Now, if Hurley becomes to UConn what Nick Saban was for Alabama, I'll take it. But no one will tell you that even though there are many more years between their tenures, that Bear Bryant doesn't have a still have a little to do with Bama success and always will. They built the 'tankers'. Hurley might just be the perfect guy to restore and captain the ship, and he's looking more and more just like that.

Reaction Score
Indeed. And we are merely players. Not to derail the thread but this local band did a very fine version as a tribute

Very nice cover. Are they a Rush cover band or do they just play a few of their songs?
Amazing the sound Rush generated from just 3 people.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom