Dan Hurley Interview with Borges | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Dan Hurley Interview with Borges

Reaction Score
Interesting what he said about taking transfers, this past offseason particularly. Said they didn't know if they might want to take a transfer until Polley and Whaley said they were coming back. But they had to reach out to transfers as soon as each hit the portal or else they'd have no chance. So all those transfers we heard they reached out to were just placeholders until they knew what they had coming back. So remember that next time we hear of UConn reaching out to a transfer. It won't mean they'd definitely take the transfer.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Interesting what he said about taking transfers, this past offseason particularly. Said they didn't know if they might want to take a transfer until Polley and Whaley said they were coming back. But they had to reach out to transfers as soon as each hit the portal or else they'd have no chance. So all those transfers we heard they reached out to were just placeholders until they knew what they had coming back. So remember that next time we hear of UConn reaching out to a transfer. It won't mean they'd definitely take the transfer.
Or he's just saving face.

Reaction Score
Could be, I just doubt he decided on no transfers when he had that 13th spot open regardless.
I don't think that's true, he openly said whoever filled that 13th scholarship had to be willing to redshirt this year. Doubt many transfers were willing to do that which is why it went to Corey

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I don't think that's true, he openly said whoever filled that 13th scholarship had to be willing to redshirt this year. Doubt many transfers were willing to do that which is why it went to Corey
Did he say that before "missing" on his transfer targets?

I just have a hard time believing he looked at dudes like Locke and Richmond, and decided against trying to have them compete for time here.

Reaction Score

I just have a hard time believing he looked at dudes like Locke and Richmond, and decided against trying to have them compete for time here.
No it was the summer when those comments were made, I just don't think it's some huge conspiracy that he's missing on all these transfer targets and trying to save face now. Especially when it's completely logical and was being talked about as an either/or scenario at the time too when it came to Locke/Polley

Reaction Score

But that’s not what he’s saying or what happened. They had a few guys they were interested in, as well as seeing how the Polley and Floyd situations evolved. They were managing it all, it wasn’t some kind of linear process. Richmond was gone to Seton Hall before he put his name in the portal, but they did reach out. You do your due diligence on the handful of guys you like. Their philosophy on transfers is always that is has to make sense given the roster they have. People weirdly made such a big deal over the transfers, mainly because Freeman left around that time, but the team is better now anyway.

Banta55

Hoops since 86"
Reaction Score
But that’s not what he’s saying or what happened. They had a few guys they were interested in, as well as seeing how the Polley and Floyd situations evolved. They were managing it all, it wasn’t some kind of linear process. Richmond was gone to Seton Hall before he put his name in the portal, but they did reach out. You do your due diligence on the handful of guys you like. Their philosophy on transfers is always that is has to make sense given the roster they have. People weirdly made such a big deal over the transfers, mainly because Freeman left around that time, but the team is better now anyway.
He is being really cryptic on Akok that's concerning..

Reaction Score
He is being really cryptic on Akok that's concerning..

I don't really think he is though. We haven't heard much about Sool, Springs, and some other guys too. All I've heard is him say that Akok will compete for minutes with Johnson, and that he's behind Whaley at the 4, basically. I think the confusion is with reporters like Rothstein saying that Akok is a potential star breakout candidate. Am I mistaken there?

Practice and games are very different animals. It's going to be tough to know what Akok is capable of until he suits up. Snapping your achilles takes a toll mentally.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I don't really think he is though. We haven't heard much about Sool, Springs, and some other guys too. All I've heard is him say that Akok will compete for minutes with Johnson, and that he's behind Whaley at the 4, basically. I think the confusion is with reporters like Rothstein saying that Akok is a potential star breakout candidate. Am I mistaken there?

Practice and games are very different animals. It's going to be tough to know what Akok is capable of until he suits up. Snapping your achilles takes a toll mentally.
In the podcast that was linked, DH talked about the other frontcourt players more and was relatively silent on Akok other than to say that he need to work on his shot so that defenders won't lay off him. I think that origin of this. It is building momentum on the BY. I may have contributed to that by using the word cryptic regarding Akok in my podcast notes. I meant for it to note just the lack of discussion, nothing more.

Reaction Score

I think Johnson may have top 3 pro potential on team along with Adama and Hawkins.
if 3’s by Whaley is a critical success factor - Houston we have a problem.

Reaction Score
I think Johnson may have top 3 pro potential on team along with Adama and Hawkins.
if 3’s by Whaley is a critical success factor - Houston we have a problem.
Never mind 3's, I'd like to see Whaley make a higher % of his layups and make opponents guard him on cuts to the basket or as potential pass recipient from Adama. Having two inside guys who can catch, finish (and Adama with offensive moves) and pass out would be a killer in college ball. Never mind the 2 of them being available for offensive rebounds.
This power forward with 3 point range is nice if you have it, if not use what you have. Both guards and the wing need to be shooters, if not they are spot players or play with other lineups for whatever matchup/scheme/foul trouble in a particular game dictates.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom