Dan Hurley Coach's Show | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Dan Hurley Coach's Show

Reaction Score
The way he talks about expectations at UConn is v nice to hear

Reaction Score
I stopped listening when I heard him say it takes a long time to change years of losing habits. The fact is, he couldn't be more right. I am more than confident he's our guy when he gets his players from the jump, but the fact of the matter is we've made a lot of losing plays in the games we lost that are more a reflection on the prior regime than the current one. We are definitely headed in the right direction, but it's not going to happen overnight as we are now painfully aware.

Reaction Score
I stopped listening when I heard him say it takes a long time to change years of losing habits. The fact is, he couldn't be more right. I am more than confident he's our guy when he gets his players from the jump, but the fact of the matter is we've made a lot of losing plays in the games we lost that are more a reflection on the prior regime than the current one. We are definitely headed in the right direction, but it's not going to happen overnight as we are now painfully aware.
It depends on what you mean by happen overnight. Overnight we went from a bad basketball team to a good one simply from coaching, attitude, and effort. Becoming a great team i agree doesn't happen overnight. But i also don't thiink in basketball it takes long

C

Chief00

Chief was reminded that after midnight, tomorrow’s grind starts - thanks for that text.

I loved the way Hurley broke down his success metrics for guards. Very enlightening, even for Chief. First, his most important guard metric is a 2 to 1 assist to turnover ratio.

The good assist to turnovers guards:
Gilbert: 2.19
Smith: 2.08
B Adams: 2.0
Chief Observation: Two of these dudes Hurley brought in and one was injuried. None were part of the losing habits the last few years. Imagine Gilbert's number if he cleans up the over penetration.

The ugly assist to turnover guards:
CV: 0.70
J Adams: 1.12
Chief Observation: These two dudes have played lots of minutes the last few seasons. The losing habits are captured in this one metric. These are the two dudes he’s really talking about. Careless with the ball, similar to NFL running backs who fumble too often. Relative to volume, not setting up teammates enough. Hurley did say the volume of turnovers jumped off the page more than the lack of assists.

In between:
Polley: 1.50
Chief Observation: While not at the 2.0 gold standard, Hurley believes he can be coached up.

If this type of analysis is helpful, please let Chief know and I will do it for some of Hurley's other key success metrics for guards.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Chief was reminded that after midnight, tomorrow’s grind starts - thanks for that text.

I loved the way Hurley broke down his success metrics for guards. Very enlightening, even for Chief. First, his most important guard metric is a 2 to 1 assist to turnover ratio.

The good assist to turnovers guards:
Gilbert: 2.19
Smith: 2.08
B Adams: 2.0
Chief Observation: Two of these dudes Hurley brought in and one was injuried. None were part of the losing habits the last few years. Imagine Gilbert's number if he cleans up the over penetration.

The ugly assist to turnover guards:
CV: 0.70
J Adams: 1.12
Chief Observation: These two dudes have played lots of minutes the last few seasons. The losing habits are captured in this one metric. These are the two dudes he’s really talking about. Careless with the ball, similar to NFL running backs who fumble too often. Relative to volume, not setting up teammates enough. Hurley did say the volume of turnovers jumped off the page more than the lack of assists.

In between:
Chief Observation: While not at the 2.0 gold standard, Hurley believes he can be coached up.

If this type of analysis is helpful, please let Chief know and I will do it for some of Hurley's other key success metrics for guards.
Helpful? Yes. But stop using the word "dude", dude.

Reaction Score
In between:

Is Polley a guard though? To me, sound analysis until that point

C

Chief00

Is Polley a guard though? To me, sound analysis until that point

I included him using category of “guards”. If we truly used true PG category perhaps only Gilbert would be analyzed.

Reaction Score
Thank you for your feedback. Where Chief grew up that word was used often around the courts. What word do you prefer?
Lol chief. Just giving you an elbow with the ref's back turned.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Chief Observation: Imagine Gilbert's number if he cleans up the over penetration.

I'm totally fine with this, given his current college experience. All of our great guards did this as freshman (except maybe Khalid), especially the smaller faster ones (Kemba/Boat/Taliek). I expect Gilbert to learn with time, and once he develops that change of pace and patience, he's gonna be deadly.

A lot of this is just about being sloppy, and not lack of any ability in this area. Jalen is very lackadaisical with the ball. It's like a running back getting 80+ yards on a drive, and then fumbling on the goal line. Worthless.

Polley is not a guard though. And he's still pretty raw. His main function on offense is to shoot, not handle the ball and pass, so I can see why this would be a bit lower.

Reaction Score
But it’s great to just go home tonight and relax. Back to the grind tomorrow with game on Saturday.
Wait, you actually find time to relax? Didn´t know that word was in your vocabuary, you are always grindin´!

Reaction Score
Suggestion - Leave it up to Chief to figure this stuff out and enjoy the holidays.

So if he comes here I'm happy but if he doesn't that means I was right. Thank you for that.

C

Chief00

So if he comes here I'm happy but if he doesn't that means I was right. Thank you for that.
Chief is doing the grind while respectfully you sleep. We will sign up some dudes. The dam will break further.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Chief is doing the grind while respectfully you sleep. We will sign up some dudes. The dam has broke.

For those who can’t tell: Chief plays no part in the recruiting process whatsoever.

Reaction Score
At this point in their careers one would think Vital and Jalen would be really focused on cleaning up their game so they would not lose as often and maybe have a better future being paid to play. The way Nova undressed them before a full house last year should be burned into their memory. For Vital it is the car crash drives, for Jalen the lazy pass turnovers.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Thanks. Quite frankly, the commitment necessary to do the grind is not insignificant. But, if I expect commitment from our coaches and players - Chief has to step up too. But it’s great to just go home tonight and relax. Back to the grind tomorrow with game on Saturday.

You’ve fallen behind “Report Card” on the post game branded blog wrapups according to the latest “ here’s the rub - with Adub™️“ blog review metrics.

You don’t have time to relax.

Reaction Score
You’ve fallen behind “Report Card” on the post game branded blog wrapups according to the latest “ here’s the rub - with Adub™️“ blog review metrics.

You don’t have time to relax.
August West, you’re growing on me. Stay on your toes Chief.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom