Dan Hurley’s first time meeting Christian Laettner | The Boneyard

Dan Hurley’s first time meeting Christian Laettner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Oh, I don’t know. College kids are gonna college kid - HS student visits his freshman brother and gets needled, probably has never happened before or since. He was very complementary of DH‘s coaching at the end.

Reaction Score
No surprises there.. anything you would expect from college/high school kids interacting with each other… thought it was a good story. Appreciated his candor.

JonnyRI

The files are in the computer
Reaction Score
Pains me to say I’ve enjoyed / liked the interviews I’ve seen him do the last few years.

Please don’t ban me from the board for this.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
IMG_7665.jpeg

Dutch Boyd

A fine place to live
Reaction Score
Chris Smith, who played with Laetner three years in MN, said that he was a great guy. I will take his word for it.
I’ve heard that too. I hate him, but he seems kinda likable later in life.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Oh, I don’t know. College kids are gonna college kid - HS student visits his freshman brother and gets needled, probably has never happened before or since. He was very complementary of DH‘s coaching at the end.
You do understand that Rod Seller's spoke for all of Husky nation & college basketball when he gently pushed Laettner's head into the floor? He may have softened since that and his various failed investment schemes, but for his time at Dook I give Laettner no quarter and echo Rod Seller's feelings.

Reaction Score
Chris Smith, who played with Laetner three years in MN, said that he was a great guy. I will take his word for it.
I am sure his swag wasn't what it was in college. In college he was big dick and at the pro's he wasn't. That will take a toll on your swag. That plus the Summer he spent caddying for the Dream Team. I cannot image a more embarrassing way to start any career.

Reaction Score
The funny thing is I attended the Duke/UConn regional final where Laetner made the buzzer beater to beat us. My seats were pretty high up but I had a perfect view down the line where Laetner took the ball put. It was pretty clear nobody was covering him. The same view as the play before where George had the ball and lost it out of bounds.
In a twist, I was transferred to Minneapolis the same time Smith and Laetner went there. My sister-in-law worked with Chris Smith's mother Lola ( a lovely woman) and she had Chris get me and my sons great tickets to a Timberwolves game with family access.
I still have all the autographs from the Timberwolves who all were great guys.

Reaction Score
In retrospect the hatred for Laettner was absurd. Dude was everything you should ever want in a player, legendary player and seems like he would probably be a good hang these days.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
In retrospect the hatred for Laettner was absurd. Dude was everything you should ever want in a player, legendary player and seems like he would probably be a good hang these days.
He was a great college player. He may or may not be a good guy. But come on, he was unbelievably hatable. Did you watch the 30 for 30? Bobby Hurley couldn't stand him.

Reaction Score
He was a great college player. He may or may not be a good guy. But come on, he was unbelievably hatable. Did you watch the 30 for 30? Bobby Hurley couldn't stand him.
Yeah, the 30 for 30 made me like him more. The media and fans created something he wasn't, they made him out to be a silver spoon privileged kid who had everything handed to him and they even went after his sexuality.

JonnyRI

The files are in the computer
Reaction Score
Yeah, the 30 for 30 made me like him more. The media and fans created something he wasn't, they made him out to be a silver spoon privileged kid who had everything handed to him and they even went after his sexuality.
Embarrassed to agree with this.

Reaction Score
The funny thing is I attended the Duke/UConn regional final where Laetner made the buzzer beater to beat us. My seats were pretty high up but I had a perfect view down the line where Laetner took the ball put. It was pretty clear nobody was covering him. The same view as the play before where George had the ball and lost it out of bounds.
In a twist, I was transferred to Minneapolis the same time Smith and Laetner went there. My sister-in-law worked with Chris Smith's mother Lola ( a lovely woman) and she had Chris get me and my sons great tickets to a Timberwolves game with family access.
I still have all the autographs from the Timberwolves who all were great guys.
We must have been seated close to each other. I was high up on the same side as the almost steal and the inbounds pass. Of course this experience made beating them in 1999 & 2004 (was also there!) all the better.

Reaction Score
You can't imagine a more embarrassing way to start a career than being the only college player picked to be on arguably the greatest basketball team ever assembled?
The history is written, it is unquestionably an embarrassing mistake for all involved that Laettner was on the 92 dream team with NBA all-timers. It is a technicality, but sure there are plenty of other embarrassing ways to start an NBA career. For example, maybe Michael Jordan was still pissed about Laettner being on the dream team and took it out on poor Kwame Brown to further prove the point.

Regardless, my goodness people, it is March stop defending Dookies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom