Dan Dakich's Coaching Candidates for UCLA | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Dan Dakich's Coaching Candidates for UCLA

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Cal is realistic along with Donovan . The rest are outrageous. He might as well of put Popovich on the list

You gonna leave an NBA gig for college? No way. Big step down.

Reaction Score
Cal revels in being on top. I could be wrong, but I just can't seeing him leave for any school. Maybe Duke I suppo3, but that fit tho

LA is right in his wheelhouse with all the glitz and glamour. And he would make them relevant quickly and be huge out there

Reaction Score
Doesn't Calipari make like $7 or $8 million a year at UK? UCLA is relatively cheap when it comes to paying their coaches. There's no way Calipari is taking another job without a big pay raise.
UCLA has improved their relationships with their boosters as of late. They paid Chip Kelly and they're not even a football school

intlzncster

Reaction Score
He was on hot seat last year. Could be out come years end if they go out first round of playoffs

Yeah, but if they don't fire him, why leave?

Better to go for another NBA gig. GMs love retreads

intlzncster

Reaction Score
LA is right in his wheelhouse with all the glitz and glamour. And he would make them relevant quickly and be huge out there

Glitz and Glamour sure, but there are no other fan bases like UKs in all of mcbb. They travel the best and are the most passionate. It's all they have there.

Too much competing entertainment in LA for that ever to be the case

Reaction Score
The UCLA b-ball gig is serially overrated. How many times have we heard how coveted the spot is, for it then to be filled with mediocre hires who accomplish little.

Sunshine and the wooden legacy were not invented yesterday. Why all of a sudden will UCLA be able to hire anyone they want?

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Calipari loves the lime light and being featured in prime time on ESPN every other day with Kentucky.

No way he gives that up to play games on the west coast.

Reaction Score
You gonna leave an NBA gig for college? No way. Big step down.
Agreed. He has had success in the NBA too. Even if OKC loses early in the playoffs (#3 in West right now) and Donovan gets fired, I bet he’ll get another job no problem.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I think Calipari would be an incredible hire. I don't know what UCLA's budget is, but if they could match Kentucky's money, Calipari would probably go. He has been in Lexington a long time, and he has nothing left to prove there. He has all the money he would ever need, and you know he wants a bigger stage.

Reaction Score
In general, I think most coaches (although not Kerr) would consider it if UCLA is serious. LA has by far the best lifestyle any college job has to offer and that's why Calipari and Donovan are possible. The problem UCLA has is they are indeed cheap and everybody but Pitino is going to want more than Chip Kelly is getting which is about $4.5 million a year. If they get a basketball coach for more than that amount, they will then need to commit more to Chip Kelly who still hasn't proven himself there.

Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure this will be Fred Hoiberg's job if he wants back in the college game

Reaction Score
In general, I think most coaches (although not Kerr) would consider it if UCLA is serious. LA has by far the best lifestyle any college job has to offer and that's why Calipari and Donovan are possible. The problem UCLA has is they are indeed cheap and everybody but Pitino is going to want more than Chip Kelly is getting which is about $4.5 million a year. If they get a basketball coach for more than that amount, they will then need to commit more to Chip Kelly who still hasn't proven himself there.

Re LA having the best lifestyle. Ideal lifestyle is pretty subjective and can vary wildly from person to person. It is not self-evident that LA is indeed the ideal place to live ( or even coach basketball ). So I respectfully disagree that UCLA will inherently get more looks than any other top 50 P5 destination. And their track record of coaching hires suggests that.

Reaction Score
Chip Kelly
Karl Dorell
Jim Mora Jr
Terry Donahue

Oh, wait.....

Reaction Score
Re LA having the best lifestyle. Ideal lifestyle is pretty subjective and can vary wildly from person to person. It is not self-evident that LA is indeed the ideal place to live ( or even coach basketball ). So I respectfully disagree that UCLA will inherently get more looks than any other top 50 P5 destination. And their track record of coaching hires suggests that.
Westwood is a pretty damn nice place to hang your hat. Coaching the most storied program in D1 hoops is a nice bonus.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
If they open up the check book, I bet Calipari would entertain a phone call. He doesn't stick around anywhere for a long time.

Why? Is UK about to be sanctioned? If Cal leaves the Cats, they're about to receive probation

Reaction Score
Why? Is UK about to be sanctioned? If Cal leaves the Cats, they're about to receive probation

Probably not but the UK fans are starting to get stale about Cal. He's not pulling the recruits he once was and are missing on a lot along with coming up short in the tournament. It just might be coming to an end. Wouldn't be surprised one bit if Cal is coaching in nba or UCLA next year

Reaction Score
Probably not but the UK fans are starting to get stale about Cal. He's not pulling the recruits he once was and are missing on a lot along with coming up short in the tournament. It just might be coming to an end. Wouldn't be surprised one bit if Cal is coaching in nba or UCLA next year
That's what I'm thinking as well. He has one more window within the next couple years if he wants to move on. Unless he plans on coaching into his 70s. Jobs like UCLA don't open all the time.

Reaction Score
That group will be more likely to draw social security before they end up at Ucla.

borninansonia

Neandertal
Reaction Score
Agreed. Some people prefer living in dumps.
Agreed. And some people like living in always gridlocked, noisy, and light (never dark), and usually polluted big cities like LA. And it's one of the most bicycle unfriendly cities in the country.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom