Damm I love this team. | The Boneyard

Damm I love this team.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
The love for this team in terrific. So many posts game after game. Positive or negitive or constructive criticism fans keep posting. We have the talent it just hasnt shown up yet. Im hoping over the next few games and in the conference tournament with the pressure on our talent shows up.

The beginning of the season we were lacking a upperclassman nucleus that we've have over the years. That nucleus knew the system and ran it while the underclassman learned it. We could hide underclassman who started because we had so much talent that could carry the team. This season we did not have that nucleus thus we are learning on the run, a work in progress. With that said we have 3 losses to the top 3 teams in the country. We have a very talented team that has struggled but has found a way to win over 20 games.

Looking at where we are right now, we are better then we were in past months. Liv is coming on, CD is there every game Meg is steady, Anna has shown signs of being very good, and CW is working hard even though her scoring is not there yet. It will be shes way to good for it not to come around. AG is explosive, confident and young still learning. A damm good team.

So now we wait and be patient. When we get it going like in the second half yesterday we are really good however we need to overcome the hiccups that seem to plague this team. That will happen, when I dont know but it will happen just because we have that much talent. Keep you head up no matter what because we have the talent to get to the FF and when it all comes together its gonna be exciting.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Tony

I agree with your opening statement...and its true....lots of posters, old and new are commenting...and clearly, there is a real affection for this bunch...perhaps even more so than the teams of the Stewie era; the championship years when everything just seemed so inevitable (in a positive way).

And sure, it is likely (although not foreordained) that we charge through the remaining schedule and get a high 2nd round placement...But at some point...and hopefully not sooner but later, we have to play one of the teams that walloped us...and all indications (at present) are that the results would be the same as before. Also, let's take into account, that we'd have to get through one or more of the 2nd tier teams that we haven't yet played...the Oregon States, Maryland, Texas A&M and the like to progress.
And these teams are at or close to our level. no gimme's.

Take yesterday, for example...I was listening in on Bob Joyce's first half call and even he sounded really down and depressed at what he was observing...I turned off the link, couldn't listen anymore. True, they came back and had an effective 2nd half (haven't watched the replay of that yet), but looking at the box score, it's clear that we beat the Florida kids with exactly 1/2 of our team performing effectively on the offensive end and some strong D.... and that's not enough to beat the big boys.

I'm not going to criticize individual players and god knows, Geno has pulled rabbits out of hats before
I'm sure that he and the staff truly believe that it's not (completely) impossible that in the next three weeks, an epiphany will happen...the ball will move; Squeaks and Anna will find their game, Liv will continue to practice hard and grow and the team will once agin be a fearful opponent. But likely?

Yes possible, but probably asking too much...much too much.

Consider...When Geno put Aubrey in, which changed the complexion of the game...what other options did he have? Who else could he have put in that might have effected the outcome? Not much in the way of game-changing reserves, eh?

And so we are left with a lovable, somewhat imperfect team (by UConn standards) that might, just might, find it's groove and surprise us all (and the woman's BB world as well)...

But the odds are against it...the pattern is pretty much set...We can hope; we can enjoy the team for the imperfect bunch they are...but as reasonable, knowledgable fans, we have to temper expectations
and accept the fact that their best is likely not quite enough.

Reaction Score
Yesterday’s game surprised me; I enjoyed it.

The improvement was obvious. It appeared to me that Geno’s harangues, rather than alienating the players, were being accepted as teaching. Who could ask for more?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
1581948295446.png

Reaction Score
I sum up the season to this point as one of is your bucket half full or half empty. I see it is half full. Are they one of the elite teams ? No they are not. Are they very good ? Sometimes. Are they a good team ? Yes.

What would take them to the next level of being very good all the time ? I think the single biggest thing that needs to happen is to have CW discover her talents. CW, for whatever reason, has not played to her ability consistently this season. I dare say she has regressed to an extent this season. Wonderful kid with a great attitude, but her on court performances are a head scratcher.

With the emergence of Anna and Aubrey all this team needs is for CW to step up.

Looking forward to a deep run in the NCAA's and who knows, maybe they can shock the country.

Reaction Score
I have enjoyed watching this team improve. They don’t have the air of invincibility that former UConn teams have had, but they proved yesterday that they do have grit and determination.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I sort of take issue with the notion that @Cornell Lt doesn’t think this team is elite. They did not mean any disrespect however, after SC, Oregon and Baylor, there are no other teams that are better than this team. So if being #4 out of 351 isn’t elite, then I don’t know what is. So many posters have note poor play on their first half yesterday with USF playing and shooting way above their average game and UConn playing well below their average game. Just look at Stanford yesterday who really struggled on the road at Colorado and were very lucky to escape with a win. Louisville lost at Syracuse and at home to FSU who then lost yesterday at Duke. In other words, games against longtime foes/coaches and especially on the road can be a challenge. This team righted the ship and dominated the second half. Let’s just keep rooting that 2nd half team shows up more often than the 1st half team and again, enjoy the ride of their improvement and growth, while being an elite team...:)

Reaction Score
Excellent defense. Excellent open court passing.

The occasional paralysis of their offense is, in my mind, due to cold shooting spells which cause them to bypass open shots, thereby allowing teams to pack in their defenses.

I think they'll go a long way in the NCAA Tournament. I'll be disappointed if they don't at least make it to the final four.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I agree whole-heartedly that this team is still a work in progress, and, to me, the individual match-ups quite often determine the playing time. Rewatching the game, Makurat was not playing very badly, yet she made some mistakes and missed some opportunities. The USF guards were a little quicker than her, but she remained determined to contribute. Aubrey gave the second-half a new spark to the defense, and her layups were great to watch. Ania was not perturbed, and she remained a cheerful teammate on the bench. They are getting ready for the final push to the tournaments. They are grinders, and if anything, that maybe the identity that carries them. Remember the early 90's teams- they were grinders too, and that led to big revelations.
Go Huskies!

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I sort of take issue with the notion that @Cornell Lt doesn’t think this team is elite. They did not mean any disrespect however, after SC, Oregon and Baylor, there are no other teams that are better than this team. So if being #4 out of 351 isn’t elite, then I don’t know what is. So many posters have note poor play on their first half yesterday with USF playing and shooting way above their average game and UConn playing well below their average game. Just look at Stanford yesterday who really struggled on the road at Colorado and were very lucky to escape with a win. Louisville lost at Syracuse and at home to FSU who then lost yesterday at Duke. In other words, games against longtime foes/coaches and especially on the road can be a challenge. This team righted the ship and dominated the second half. Let’s just keep rooting that 2nd half team shows up more often than the 1st half team and again, enjoy the ride of their improvement and growth, while being an elite team...:)

with a little (elite) ;)

Reaction Score
Lots of love for them, but msf22b pretty much nailed it right in the head.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Tony

I agree with your opening statement...and its true....lots of posters, old and new are commenting...and clearly, there is a real affection for this bunch...perhaps even more so than the teams of the Stewie era; the championship years when everything just seemed so inevitable (in a positive way).

And sure, it is likely (although not foreordained) that we charge through the remaining schedule and get a high 2nd round placement...But at some point...and hopefully not sooner but later, we have to play one of the teams that walloped us...and all indications (at present) are that the results would be the same as before. Also, let's take into account, that we'd have to get through one or more of the 2nd tier teams that we haven't yet played...the Oregon States, Maryland, Texas A&M and the like to progress.

Take yesterday, for example...I was listening in on Bob Joyce's first half call and even he sounded really down and depressed at what he was observing...I turned off the link, couldn't listen anymore. True, they came back and had an effective 2nd half (haven't watched the replay of that yet), but looking at the box score, it's clear that we beat the Florida kids with exactly 1/2 of our team performing effectively on the offensive end and some strong D.... and that's not enough to beat the big boys.

I'm not going to criticize individual players and god knows, Geno has pulled rabbits out of hats before
I'm sure that he and the staff truly believe that it's not (completely) impossible that in the next three weeks, an epiphany will happen...the ball will move; Squeaks and Anna will find their game, Liv will continue to practice hard and grow and the team will once agin be a fearful opponent. But likely?

Consider...When Geno put Aubrey in, which changed the complexion of the game...what other options did he have? Who else could he have put in that might have effected the outcome? Not much in the way of game-changing reserves, eh?

And so we are left with a lovable, somewhat imperfect team (by UConn standards) that might, just might, find it's groove and surprise us all (and the woman's BB world as well)...

But the odds are against it...the pattern is pretty much set...We can hope; we can enjoy the team for the imperfect bunch they are...but as reasonable, knowledgable fans, we have to temper expectations

What an enjoyable and insightful comment. I agree 100% with your observations. True fans don’t abandon their team or throw them under the bus because they lose 3 games to top ranked teams. It could be much worse. Look at Notre Dame. They lost their 16th game of the season yesterday. I bet they would love to trade places with us.

At least UConn is winning the games they are supposed to win, and are not being upset by unranked teams as some ranked teams were yesterday. I don’t have FF aspirations for this team for the reasons you mentioned. I’m going to take one game at a time and see how far they can go. Any team can have a bad day. Perhaps we’ll be lucky enough to catch one of the 3 that beat us, and return the favor. It has happened.........ND in 2013 I believe (without looking it up).

It’s going to take a monumental effort to knock off the # 1seeds. They are #1 seeds because they’ve earned it, and play like it, as UConn did in better days when they were a 1 seed. They never played down to level of their competition. They can all be beaten, but they are not going to give the game away with poor play and execution. When you compare UConn’s play and record with other top 10 teams (other than the 3 we lost to), they really don’t look any better than we do.

IMHO, I think Oregon, Baylor or South Carolina will win the NC. I still enjoy watching our team play. I’m still on the bandwagon. Can’t wait to see the team Geno puts on the floor next year. I’d bet the farm THAT team won’t experience the same shortfalls this team did.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I might be in the minority but this is the least likeable UConn team to watch in a long, long time - since the Strothers years anyway. I enjoy watching, what Geno calls "beautiful basketball" with lots of movement, passing, and passion/hustle - something that this team consistently lacks. I could care less about W/L records as it really doesnt matter - except during the Tourny. I just want to see good games, and this year has been anything but. In terms of consistent improvement among the players, I just dont see it - bursts here and there, but consistent, eh no..

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
This team is flawed. The flaws create doubt in some game outcomes. The doubt creates stress among many in the fanbase. Stress often creates unfair criticisms.

I get it. We are having the same emotions every other teams' followers have.

Saying the best coach in basketball has lost his ability to connect with his players is what I don't get.

Message boards are the landing spot for second-guessers. It is really hard to fairly second guess. We don't have access to practice or conversations that Geno may have with any of his players.

This team will probably end the season with 30+ wins and four losses. How can that be underachieving when it is what many knowledgeable posters predicted at the start of the year?

The three losses were all to teams that were better. They were hard to watch but certainly understandable.

Reaction Score
The love for this team in terrific. So many posts game after game. Positive or negitive or constructive criticism fans keep posting. We have the talent it just hasnt shown up yet. Im hoping over the next few games and in the conference tournament with the pressure on our talent shows up.

The beginning of the season we were lacking a upperclassman nucleus that we've have over the years. That nucleus knew the system and ran it while the underclassman learned it. We could hide underclassman who started because we had so much talent that could carry the team. This season we did not have that nucleus thus we are learning on the run, a work in progress. With that said we have 3 losses to the top 3 teams in the country. We have a very talented team that has struggled but has found a way to win over 20 games.

Looking at where we are right now, we are better then we were in past months. Liv is coming on, CD is there every game Meg is steady, Anna has shown signs of being very good, and CW is working hard even though her scoring is not there yet. It will be shes way to good for it not to come around. AG is explosive, confident and young still learning. A damm good team.

So now we wait and be patient. When we get it going like in the second half yesterday we are really good however we need to overcome the hiccups that seem to plague this team. That will happen, when I dont know but it will happen just because we have that much talent. Keep you head up no matter what because we have the talent to get to the FF and when it all comes together its gonna be exciting.
Great post Tony, as usual. Your point about senior leadership is so, so true. Seeing the way CD has played shows what could be if she had the help of another senior leader. I, like you, remain confident. Please keep posting. You’re one of the few reasons I come on the Boneyard.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Excellent defense. Excellent open court passing.

The occasional paralysis of their offense is, in my mind, due to cold shooting spells which cause them to not take open shots, thereby allowing teams to pack in their defenses.

I think they'll go a long way in the NCAA Tournament. I'll be disappointed if they don't at least make it to the final four.

In all 3 losses, our offense was anemic, and the basket had a lid on it. We held South Carolina to 11 points in the 1st quarter. No other team has done that this year. Our problem was our shots were not falling and we couldn’t make a layup. Those first half turnovers didn't help either.

Had our team shot their normal percentage, we would have had a very good chance of winning those games. As I said in an earlier post, ALL FIVE of our starters would have to show up and play LARGE for us to win those games. Unfortunately they did not.

Last edited:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
In all 3 losses, our offense was anemic, and the basket had a lid on it. We held South Carolina to 11 points in the 1st quarter. No other team has done that this year. Our problem was our shots were not falling and we couldn’t make a layup either.
Carnac-and the issue was we had many good looks but played "very tight", which is a sign of young team. Just ask the immortal Sabrina about her game against Baylor in the semi's last year (6-24 shooting including 4-11 from 3 pt meaning 2-13 for 15% from 2 pt; 4 reb, 6 assist to 3 turnovers). Playing under pressure is a learned skill that by being in big games when younger, you can succeed later-look at Crystal Dangerfield, she's regularly the only one who has played well in these games this year. Meg had to jump from the 4th option to the 1st option. Crystal Dangerfield has taken that over in the big games out of necessity. Don't give up on Meg or the team yet, remember, Stewies freshman year lost 3 times to ND including the BET final and then found their grove for the tournament. It may not work out that way but we can still believe... ;)

Reaction Score
Tony

"Their best is likely not quite enough." What "best"? I think if this team ever played at its projected best, those of us disappointed with the product on the court would be sympathetic. In the 3 games in which they were clobbered, did they play their best? Are 2 points in quarter one vs SC their best? Even in the games they've won, you could argue that they seldom played their best. And how can you tell what's best when you're beating up on some pretty terrible teams? Nope. The disappointment this year is because they don't play well much of the time, and they seem never to play well when a really good team faces them. Most agree we have talent; no one can seriously argue that the talent has, on any level, been realized. What's missing isn't quality, it's character--the one quality that traditionally separates UConn from everyone else. Not this year.

Reaction Score
Surprised there seems to be little desire for any objective discussion on this board. Either a ton of excuses followed by excessive cheerleading or over the top criticism. As I see it this is a team with chemistry problems and players that are by and large are not used to “playing dirty.” The team consistently gets beat to 50/50 balls, by and large look to avoid contact going to the basket, and does not consistently prevent penetration on defense, which leads to layups or open 3’s. They are good enough to overcome these shortcomings relatively easily against most teams because they are so talented, so a good quarter or two gets it done but so far have by and large not responded well against the teams with comparable talent. Could that change, sure, but no one will know until the NCAAs.
Each of the players on this team is talented but flawed, almost all teams are. Ideally, with team chemistry the collective diminishes flaws and accentuates strengths. Chemistry is an elusive, undefinable quality and this team teases around it but so far has obviously not gotten there. Maybe it will come but time is getting short. IMO, every player playing hard every minute on the court would be a good start.

Reaction Score
It's always a privilege to watch the team in person, which my wife and I did yesterday. But realistically, as someone above said, this is the most flawed team that UConn has fielded in years. The first quarter was what is becoming a habit -- and not a good one -- with this team. Standing around, no playmaking, no flow, no nothing. And mistakes? Sheesh.

I know she had a more positive second half, but Christyn has the yips, as bad a case as I have seen in a long time. Usually a player can rely on her defense to steady her while she works on her offense. But in the first half and in other games, mistakes just seemed to find her. Wrong passes. Balls slipping out of her hands. Missed shots. The whole nine yards. I would like to think a steadier second half was a sign she is getting over it, but I have thought that before, and it hasn't. As we all know, she is better than this, and it must be killing her. I guess she just has to play through it, but it really is the most painful part of watching UConn WCBB right now.

The really good thing about this game is that I'm pretty sure (maybe my memory is faulty here) this team has not been down at the half against a decent team (and USF is decent) and fought back to win going away. It was a nice feeling to see it happen. Halfway through the third quarter, you could just see that players felt like, "We've got this," and sure enough, they did.

How did they do it? Well, in addition to a much better shooting percentage, they decided to add a little energy to a defense that looked pretty anemic in the first quarter. USF also is one of those teams that is susceptible to the phenomenon called Aubrey Griffin, and she showed to good advantage during the game. There are some teams (i.e. the three UConn lost to) that make her look like a lost rookie, but her quickness and athleticism were real assets out there in this game.

I think we can conclude absolutely nothing from Olivia's fine performance in this game. She does well beating up against smaller, less experienced or less mobile front lines. She does not have the horsepower, nor the big teammates, to take on the big lines on the elite teams -- Oregon, Baylor, SC and who knows? there may be another one or two. It is completely unfair to blame her for UConn's weaknesses, because it is not her fault that she does not have bulky frontline teammates to help her. But it is a fact that this remains the team's first weakness, and unfortunately for her, the spotlight will always shine in Olivia in those games until and unless recruiting evens the odds.

Megan seems to have found her rhythm again, and it couldn't have come at a better time. She's not a team leader, but quietly fills the role of top scorer. Not quite sure what happened to Anna in this game, but she just wasn't much of a factor at all. She started and played while the team was going nowhere, didn't look awful but made a couple of mistakes. I thought Molly's harrassing defense looked pretty good for the time she was in the game.

For better or worse, Crystal is the straw that stirs the drink for this team. She almost got herself in a bunch of foul trouble in this game, but she continues to provide a steadying presence in the form of shots made.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom