Dallas Wings @ Phoenix Mercury - 8/21/18 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Dallas Wings @ Phoenix Mercury - 8/21/18

Who will win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
So where did Lucas come from? She seems like she's in game shape and has a couple buckets recently.
3-3 tonight. She must have been working out with her old Germantown Academy teammate, Caroline Doty.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Maggie Lucas looking great 3-3 from 3pt land. She looks like she put on some good muscle.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Bonner and Taurasi are a combined 9-16 from the arc. Combine them with Griner, and this team is a tough out.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Phoenix is eating Dallas alive w/ offensive rebounding lately.

Talbot is making a nice contribution for the Merc. Not scoring a lot but doing other things.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
D is a getting a long break so far in the Q4 and Phoenix is maintaining the lead.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Phoenix has Bonner and Taurasi from the outside. And, by the way, the best 3-point shooter in the regular season was Briann January, at 47%.

Phoenix has a 24-point advantage outside the arc. They lead by 15.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
D just came back in and dialed up a long 3. She didn't go off glass like Bonner though.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Game over - Phx up by 18 in the 4th, and pulling away. The way Phoenix is playing tonight, NO ONE would beat them!!!! They're all in sync and everything they're putting up is going in. Final - Phoenix wins 101-83.

Last edited by a moderator:

Carnac

Reaction Score
"Unbelievable" from Pam Ward as Dee beats the shot clock from 25' over Cambage.

This was the Mercury's night. They were in sync, and made it look easy. They travel to Connecticut for a game with Sun on Thursday. Let's see how they look then. :cool:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
This was the Mercury's night. They were in sync, and made it look easy. They travel to Connecticut for a game with Sun on Thursday. Let's see how they look then. :cool:
That will be another 100-point game. The Sun need to be ready to defend the arc and shoot well themselves.

Carnac

Reaction Score
That will be another 100-point game. The Sun need to be ready to defend the arc and shoot well themselves.

The Sun will give them a better game, plus their at home. Road wins are tough to come by in the W. A new coaching staff, a trade or two, a first round draftee and the Wings are in business for 2019. The way Cambage is talking, it doesn't sound like she's coming back for 2019. We'll see. :rolleyes:

Breaking news - This just in...........................TEMPE, Ariz. -- In the wake of the Dallas Wings' first-round loss to the Phoenix Mercury on Tuesday night, center Liz Cambage said she might be playing in the WNBA next season after all. What tha ?!? :confused:

[story]

Last edited by a moderator:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The Sun will give them a better game, plus their at home. Road wins are tough to come by in the W. A new coaching staff, a trade or two, a first round draftee and the Wings are in business for 2019. The way Cambage is talking, it doesn't sound like she's coming back for 2019. We'll see. :rolleyes:
Yeah, Liz needs to sit down and ponder. Next year's schedule will be more sane.

Dallas doesn't play much defense. Connecticut does. The way Diana and DeWanna are playing, it will take a lot to slow them down.

It should be another good game. The officiating this year has been mediocre again, but the play and competitiveness have been really good.

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
Congratulations Phoenix Mercury!! Dewanna led the way with 29 points. Diana and Britney added 26 points and 17 points. The big 3 came to play, and refused to go home. Moving on.

Reaction Score
Yeah, Liz needs to sit down and ponder. Next year's schedule will be more sane.

Dallas doesn't play much defense. Connecticut does. The way Diana and DeWanna are playing, it will take a lot to slow them down.

It should be another good game. The officiating this year has been mediocre again, but the play and competitiveness have been really good.
If Liz wants to be in the same breath as Lauren Jackson, she needs to prove it on both ends of the floor. She needs to do it against the best players, as Lauren did.

Reaction Score
As I said in another thread Dallas seemingly had a lot of turmoil this season. Diggins and Cambage can put up points but Dallas needs a consistent third scoring options to compete. Stevens seemingly had a solid rookie year. Johnson and Gray are both decent players but the Wings need to add another body or two for scoring and depth to make a move in the standings.

Honestly I don't care if Cambage comes back or not. It's hard to deny she has talent and the size to be a great player but I'm not a fan of the "I won't/I will" dialogue.

Reaction Score
Did anyone notice that Z wasn't on the floor much in the second half?

Coach Taj was mic’ed up and said that you’d be subbed out if you miss your defensive assignments. Could that be a big part of it?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
As I said in another thread Dallas seemingly had a lot of turmoil this season. Diggins and Cambage can put up points but Dallas needs a consistent third scoring options to compete. Stevens seemingly had a solid rookie year. Johnson and Gray are both decent players but the Wings need to add another body or two for scoring and depth to make a move in the standings.

Honestly I don't care if Cambage comes back or not. It's hard to deny she has talent and the size to be a great player but I'm not a fan of the "I won't/I will" dialogue.
Don't disagree, but how can you fault someone for not wanting to play in a league that takes a toll on your body for 3-4 months at $100K when they can play in a much easier league and make 5 times that amount? Frankly, I'm surprised any top player plays in the WNBA, except for the reason that some countries have a rule that only 1 player on a team can be from a different country. Not much $$ to be made here, no matter how much we love all the access we have to great hoops...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Don't disagree, but how can you fault someone for not wanting to play in a league that takes a toll on your body for 3-4 months at $100K when can play in a much easier league and make 5 times that amount? Frankly, I'm surprised any top player plays in the WNBA, except for some countries have a rule that only 1 player on a team can be from a different country. Not much $$ to be made here, no matter how much we love all the access we have to great hoops...

I suspect agents feel differently.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
My guess is that most of the royalties and non-salary income is tied to actually playing in the U.S. So, while the salary is restricted to about $45-115K per season, it is important to play in the W for other perks. As Sue readily notes, it's the best league in the world, by far (in terms of level of play and competition).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom