Daily Campus Has Interesting Debate if Football Should Stay FBS or Go FCS | The Boneyard

Daily Campus Has Interesting Debate if Football Should Stay FBS or Go FCS

Reaction Score
The new math - a couple of years is now defined as 9 years.

Cool, I'm now 10.

It's easy find a way to fund the program properly and get better folks running the show and stay in FBS or just get to FCS quickly and stop the charade.

Enough with the slow death march to a point of irrelevancy where it's impossible to recover.

I read this with the backdrop of the radio story about the university is providing free education to the those that can't afford it (which I'm all for), but they have no idea how they are going to pay for it. Academics - boy howdy they really operate in their own bubble.

Reaction Score
Here's the plan:
Step 1: Get more revenue from bball move to Big East.
Step 2: Invest those additional funds into the football team (coaches)
Step 3: Football improves as independent
Step 4: P5 expansion in 2025 guess who's waiting and available?

A lot can happen in 5 years.

Reaction Score
The new math - a couple of years is now defined as 9 years.

Cool, I'm now 10.

It's easy find a way to fund the program properly and get better folks running the show and stay in FBS or just get to FCS quickly and stop the charade.

Enough with the slow death march to a point of irrelevancy where it's impossible to recover.

I read this with the backdrop of the radio story about the university is providing free education to the those that can't afford it (which I'm all for), but they have no idea how they are going to pay for it. Academics - boy howdy they really operate in their own bubble.
I think that poster meant a couple years since Edsall was rehired.

UC1995

Back to Basics!
Reaction Score
If we go FCS we will have the greatest facilities on campus and no place to play games. Playing in Rent is a non-starter at FCS. No one would go unless it is back on campus.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
Let's just do what Boston University and Northeastern did: drop football and concentrate on academics. I'm tired of being in the "Bottom 10" year after year.

We learned one thing from Vietnam ... you either go all in or you don't go in at all. It's clear the state and the school don't want to go all in.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Worthwhile reading for Boneyard members.

https://dailycampus.com/stories/2019/10/9/pointcounterpoint-should-uconn-move-to-the-fcsnbsp

The supporter of staying in FBS says in part: "I know it doesn’t seem like it right now, it’s only a matter of time before UConn football becomes competitive again in the FBS, and we shouldn’t bail to FCS just because of a couple of down years."

Let the students show up and stay a little while. I understand watching this is tough, but the one game they could have helped they left at halftime. So forgive me if I have a hard time caring what they think

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Let's just do what Boston University and Northeastern did: drop football and concentrate on academics. I'm tired of being in the "Bottom 10" year after year.

We learned one thing from Vietnam ... you either go all in or you don't go in at all. It's clear the state and the school don't want to go all in.

I understand you are from Texas but they are not dropping football, but maybe you should stop following UConn football.

Reaction Score
We are not going back to FCS.
Hard to believe how soft the fans are.

As a graduate, I fully support the school being FBS, as it should have been decades ago. Basic look of most flagshap schools as of now.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Let the students show up and stay a little while. I understand watching this is tough, but the one game they could have helped they left at halftime. So forgive me if I have a hard time caring what they think

They pay for the entire enterprise. They can come or go whenever they want. They owe this tire fire nothing.

Reaction Score
If Temple, South Florida, Central Florida, Cincinnati, Navy and in the past few years Houston can put a competitive team on the field to the point where they make a top 25 ranking and go bowling so can UConn. I won't believe that this state can't put a power house football squad on the field if they really want it. For crying out loud Army was ranked in the top 20 last season. You can't tell me with the right recruiting and coaching UConn couldn't be a perennial top 25 team. The training facilities are in place. The stadium can be upgraded or out right replaced once the need is overwhelming. The revenue to more than pay for the program is out there for the taking if only UConn can put a winner on the field. Don't give up now.

Go independent. You've already started down that path so no undoing it unfortunately. Put together a schedule that can be entertaining but more importantly winnable at the
FBS level. You have a FBS program. Don't give that away. Chances are you'll never come back from that mistake and it's guaranteed you'll never, ever be invited into the P-5 community.

Last edited:

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Here's the plan:
Step 1: Get more revenue from bball move to Big East.
Step 2: Invest those additional funds into the football team (coaches)
Step 3: Football improves as independent
Step 4: P5 expansion in 2025 guess who's waiting and available?

A lot can happen in 5 years.
We took LESS money to go the the Zombie Big East. Sheer stupidity.

Reaction Score
If Temple, South Florida, Central Florida, Cincinnati, Navy and in the past few years Houston can put a competitive team on the field to the point where they make a top 25 ranking and go bowling so can UConn. I won't believe that this state can't put a power house football squad on the field if they really want it. For crying out loud Army was ranked in the top 20 last season. You can't tell me with the right recruiting and coaching UConn couldn't be a perennial top 25 team. The training facilities are in place. The stadium can be upgraded or out right replaced once the need is overwhelming. The revenue to more than pay for the program is out there for the taking if only UConn can put a winner on the field. Don't give up now.

Go independent. You've already started down that path so no undoing it unfortunately. Put together a schedule that can be entertaining but more importantly winnable at the
FBS level. You have a FBS program. Don't give that away. Chances are you'll never come back from that mistake and it's guaranteed you'll never, ever be invited into the P-5 community.

Agree 100%. We have to remain FBS and keep at this until we get it right again. It's going to suck for a while longer but we can't quit now. I'm skeptical we can be a perennial top 25 team, but I do think we can be a perennial top 50% finisher, occasionally making an appearance in the top 25 rankings. That would be success in my view and well worth the pain we have endured these last 9 years and may continue to endure for a few more.

Reaction Score

I can’t tell if this is a serious post or not, but after reading it over a few times, I am concluding that it is. Wow, no. Just no.

The training facilities were built 15 years ago. Yes, they are nice, but they really are nothing special whatsoever at this point at the FBS level.

The part that really made me wonder if this post was serious was your assertion that the the stadium could be upgraded or outright replaced when the need is overwhelming. I’m not sure if you have seen the crowd sizes recently, but they are really small. This program has lost a substantial amount of its fan base and many believe they are never coming back. How would they fund this? Who would get behind this as a good idea?

The revenue really isn’t out there for the taking because they have no schedule, which means they have no television contract. They need to fill 8 games for next season. What programs do you suggest they add on such short notice? If Virginia Tech and ECU cancelled its series and have an open date, go for that if they are willing to play. Add AAC teams I guess if they are looking for games. The problem is the team is years away from even being competitive in these games. They really have become a national laughing stock which is really sad. I remember always rooting for the big east because it was the underdog and took a lot of bashing on the national state. Even when uconn was competitive, they routinely were disrespected and mocked nationally. This is just a whole new level though. This is seriously damaging what was left of the uconn brand. The AAC actually gets a lot of props in football for the most part despite not being invited to the party.

Reaction Score
I can’t tell if this is a serious post or not, but after reading it over a few times, I am concluding that it is. Wow, no. Just no.

"The part that really made me wonder if this post was serious was your assertion that the the stadium could be upgraded or outright replaced when the need is overwhelming."
You obviously didn't read it enough. Did you miss the part"When The Need is Overwhelming"? Obviously there is no need now but when this team becomes a perennial winner and there is more demand than seats available. That's what "when the need is overwhelming" means.

The training facilities are more than good enough to build div 1 athletes. The locker room and weight room just got a face lift this past year.

As far as the revenue that too comes When they become a winner. They(the program) have to build/rebuild this themselves as most have given up on them. I believe they can with the right recruiting and coaching. After watching Edsall waste most of the last minute of the first half I'm not sure he is the guy anymore. Was against him coming back but once the decision was made I wanted it to work. I'm not sure it's going to with Edsall but still would like to see the school get a winning coach in here and build a winner. Don't give up on the FBS.

Reaction Score
Nobody cares about FCS. I remind people at UMASS that they won a championship with Wipple and runner up with Brown and all they say is those 500 that show up today at McGuirk

Reaction Score
"The part that really made me wonder if this post was serious was your assertion that the the stadium could be upgraded or outright replaced when the need is overwhelming."
You obviously didn't read it enough. Did you miss the part"When The Need is Overwhelming"? Obviously there is no need now but when this team becomes a perennial winner and there is more demand than seats available. That's what "when the need is overwhelming" means.

The training facilities are more than good enough to build div 1 athletes. The locker room and weight room just got a face lift this past year.

As far as the revenue that too comes When they become a winner. They(the program) have to build/rebuild this themselves as most have given up on them. I believe they can with the right recruiting and coaching. After watching Edsall waste most of the last minute of the first half I'm not sure he is the guy anymore. Was against him coming back but once the decision was made I wanted it to work. I'm not sure it's going to with Edsall but still would like to see the school get a winning coach in here and build a winner. Don't give up on the FBS.
‘I’m not sure he sure he is the guy ...’ What the hell does it take? That shitshow at the end of the half was absolutely unbelievable!
I just hope that Hurley can be as successful as we hope and, along with Geno, save the brand.
In the meantime let’s start a coach search effective 12/2/19.

Reaction Score

We would all like to see that. They’ve tried the respected veteran local guy, the young coordinator from a top program, and now the guy that built the program at the 1A level. Where do you go next?

I did read it enough and it was ridiculous then and ridiculous now. Why on earth would anyone actually be thinking about stadium expansion when the team has not won an FBS game in 2 years. The Rent was built to add 10,000 seats across from the press box to get to 50,000 if needed. If it wasn’t needed during competitive years in the big east why would more seats or a new stadium be something to even think about after 9 years of being a doormat?

You say you believe the program can become a “perennial power” and winner with the right coaching and right recruiting. I believe Edsall’s pitch the first time around was selling the big east to talented players that may have been a bit under the radar. They could come to uconn and play against regional rivals like PITT, Syracuse, BC etc. He showed an ability to develop players and get them into the league. That is all out the window now. What exactly is the pitch right now to entice the type of players to come to Connecticut that can win? Saying we have nice facilities, cool lockers, and new weights just isn’t going to do it.

Last edited:

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
The training facilities were built 15 years ago. Yes, they are nice, but they really are nothing special whatsoever at this point at the FBS level.

This. People keep talking about them like they just got built. 90% of FBS has built or improved theirs since.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom