Daily Campus Column: Please, stop shaming students for not going to games. | The Boneyard

Daily Campus Column: Please, stop shaming students for not going to games.

Reaction Score
IMO The students at UConn are very different today than they were even 7-8 years ago. Much more studious, less outgoing, less party-centric and seem to have less school spirit. Just based on my time there and the cultural shift from 2010-2014

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
That article is dumb. Tickets were free last night anyways. Gampel used to be a huge homecourt advantage. Not filling it up for Cincinatti a top ten team shows how far our program has dropped. If i'm not mistaken the women just sold the place out to play Tulane, a game which they won by 53 points.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
IMO The students at UConn are very different today than they were even 7-8 years ago. Much more studious, less outgoing, less party-centric and seem to have less school spirit. Just based on my time there and the cultural shift from 2010-2014

Getting into UConn now is getting closer and closer to impossible. Unless you're a top student in your class in CT you aren't getting in. Hence the better education less school spirit.

Reaction Score
Students are definitely not obligated to go to games. Students are even more definitely not immune to getting 'd on for not attending a $5 game on campus against a top 10 opponent.

Reaction Score
put a compelling product on the court/field and the students will come. It's not rocket science folks.

Right?

There is really nothing else worth saying about it.

But I'm sure some people will want hand wring about millenials or something (even though college students now aren't even millenials depending on which definition you go by)

Reaction Score
Hence the better education less school spirit.

Unless you are talking about JUST Uconn not sure I buy that. Some of the crazier party schools and schools with a lot of spirit tend to be the really good schools, like the Ivys and schools like Stanford. The higher academic standards go hand in hand with students who just want to blow off steam with parties and cheering on sports teams. I had a few friends who went to Yale, Upenn, Brown, Colombia and briefly dated a girl from Cornell and the stories I heard...! At least in regards to parties. Plus other really good schools like Wisconsin, Michigan and VTech and those types.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
In my day, student section was full 20 minutes prior to most games— even at the Rent. Students had to urge the rest of the spectators to get into the game. They were knowledgeable and cared. Remember “Stand up Gampel” chants?

I’d like to say this isn’t a UConn problem but it seems pretty bad here. I was talking to a friend who teaches high school and he says the attitude towards sports with this generation is weird. It’s not cool to care about sports and the athletes are not considered popular at all.

Reaction Score
Right?

There is really nothing else worth saying about it.

But I'm sure some people will want hand wring about millenials or something (even though college students now aren't even millenials depending on which definition you go by)
I don't think it's age related. It is a different demographic now than it used to be, though. A lot of it is due to the police and administration so I don't put all the blame on students.

Reaction Score
Unless you are talking about JUST Uconn not sure I buy that. Some of the crazier party schools and schools with a lot of spirit tend to be the really good schools, like the Ivys and schools like Stanford. The higher academic standards go hand in hand with students who just want to blow off steam with parties and cheering on sports teams. I had a few friends who went to Yale, Upenn, Brown, Colombia and briefly dated a girl from Cornell and the stories I heard...! At least in regards to parties. Plus other really good schools like Wisconsin, Michigan and VTech and those types.
UVA is who Susan has tried to emulate & compare ourselves to and they party their behinds off.

Reaction Score

not for nothing, the school pretty much started to destroy the off campus huge parties starting my sophmore year 06' at Carriage and Celeron. My freshman year in 04'-05', every weekend felt like spring weekend

Reaction Score
not for nothing, the school pretty much started to destroy the off campus huge parties starting my sophmore year 06' at Carriage and Celeron. My freshman year in 04'-05', every weekend felt like spring weekend
2010 was the last relatively good year. Carriage and Celeron were still open and there were always parties Thurs-Sat up and down hunting lodge rd. After the cancellation of spring weekend 2011 it was all gone.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

I started in Fall 05: Agree with that timeline as well.

Reaction Score

+1

Reaction Score
UVA is who Susan has tried to emulate & compare ourselves to and they party their behinds off.
Oh ya! I had a classmate, not a friend though, who went there. But I heard it is quite crazy.

Reaction Score
The less school spirit part would have a ton to do with our sports teams sucking so badly, I would think.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
In my day, student section was full 20 minutes prior to most games— even at the Rent. Students had to urge the rest of the spectators to get into the game. They were knowledgeable and cared. Remember “Stand up Gampel” chants?

I’d like to say this isn’t a UConn problem but it seems pretty bad here. I was talking to a friend who teaches high school and he says the attitude towards sports with this generation is weird. It’s not cool to care about sports and the athletes are not considered popular at all.

This.

You're right that it's not just a UConn problem; ours is worse because of the team record, but it seems to be a general trend of the times. So weird for me to say that, since I'm only 42. People are just more disconnected now to a bunch of things, sports being one of them. They'd rather type on the phone next to Justin Timberlake at a halftime show to instantly let their friends know it's happening rather than to actually enjoy it happening, while his 50-something dad in an Eagles jersey is rockin' out and enjoying the moment (put the freakin' phone down!). I think there is a parallel between that moment and what we are seeing.

I don't know what the answer is, either. Winning will bring more back, certainly. But it won't bring back the same numbers that were there 10 or 20 years ago. I hope that trend will change in the near future...

_99889258_044538496.jpg

Reaction Score
They'd rather type on the phone next to Justin Timberlake at a halftime show to instantly let their friends know it's happening rather than to actually enjoy it happening, while his 50-something dad in an Eagles jersey is rockin' out and enjoying the moment (put the freakin' phone down!).

_99889258_044538496.jpg

Wait, people enjoy that music?

Reaction Score
This.

You're right that it's not just a UConn problem; ours is worse because of the team record, but it seems to be a general trend of the times. So weird for me to say that, since I'm only 42. People are just more disconnected now to a bunch of things, sports being one of them. They'd rather type on the phone next to Justin Timberlake at a halftime show to instantly let their friends know it's happening rather than to actually enjoy it happening, while his 50-something dad in an Eagles jersey is rockin' out and enjoying the moment (put the freakin' phone down!). I think there is a parallel between that moment and what we are seeing.

I don't know what the answer is, either. Winning will bring more back, certainly. But it won't bring back the same numbers that were there 10 or 20 years ago. I hope that trend will change in the near future...

_99889258_044538496.jpg

Solid old man argument. If cell phones were as ubiquitous when you were growing up, I'm sure the same phenomenon would have occurred. Somehow other teams don't seem to be having the same problems filling the stands with kids willing to put their cell phones down for a few hours.

Reaction Score
As grad of 2017 let me speak out of the campus trend. My class was the last to witness a competitive team. Freshman year watching both teams win at the biggest stage is something you cling on to forever. But it's hard for the current students to get excited about bad basketball. We can blame a conference all day, but when you fall to teams like Memphis by 20 points, it's hard to get excited. The magic is gone here for the men's team. The women team still posts huge crowds on the buy and sell and students talk about big time match ups. But to take 2 hours out of the day to watch the doors get blown off of gample by Cinci isn't helping The casual fan. People want UConn to be successful. Every diehard fan I know of still enrolled gave up on the program rn. It's embarrassing to stand in gample and watch teams like Wagner push us around. Every season is a fresh opportunity to get excitement out of the freshman class. But the product doesn't deliver.

Reaction Score
So UConn is Boston College now?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom