D Should Be a Smidge Better By Now | The Boneyard

D Should Be a Smidge Better By Now

Reaction Score
But they are showing no signs of improvement. They actually played their best game against UCF, IMO. Most concerning - the tackling is getting worse. I expected to see some noticeable degree of improvement by now but...nothing. Going 1-11 seems inevitable, with all the remaining losses being blowouts. Just sad.

Reaction Score
The entire off season and next pre season should be spent on tackling. Don't bother teaching schemes if all your going to offer on the field are flailing arm tackle attempts.

The second thing is getting all 11 guys running to the ball. That has been the biggest disappointment to me. Bunch of guys expecting the 1st man there to make the tackle.

Very unEdsall like.

Reaction Score
The entire off season and next pre season should be spent on tackling. Don't bother teaching schemes if all your going to offer on the field are flailing arm tackle attempts.

The second thing is getting all 11 guys running to the ball. That has been the biggest disappointment to me. Bunch of guys expecting the 1st man there to make the tackle.

Very unEdsall like.

It has to be gnawing @ Edsall deep down despite the facade.

Should we crowd-source a half dozen?;)

Inside the game: Motorized tackling ‘Dummy’ a big hit for Ocean City football

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
After the game they said that UConn has allowed at least 40 points and 500 yards in every game this season. Just think about that......

I will give the studio guy some credit because he did follow it up by saying that we need to keep in mind that 11 players on D are frosh or soph.

However, 40+ and 500+ yards a game....Just astounding....

Reaction Score
But they are showing no signs of improvement. They actually played their best game against UCF, IMO. Most concerning - the tackling is getting worse. I expected to see some noticeable degree of improvement by now but...nothing. Going 1-11 seems inevitable, with all the remaining losses being blowouts. Just sad.
The secondary has shown a little improvement since the third or fourth game, and the pass rush has gotten marginally better, but our ability to stop the run is non existent. Agree 100% on tackling.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I actually agree that the D played best vs UCF. Didn’t really see as many missed tackles or wide open receivers.

Reaction Score

Very unEdsall like.
I definitely agree here. I do believe that tackling is a want to type of thing in part. You see in football very aggressive misses. When I watch this team I don’t see that. When it gets to this level tackling 225-230 lbs backs becomes a business decision when you lack the strength, aggression and confidence.
You can tell that the sophomores are a bit more aggressive than the freshmen with all parties being poor at proper angles and striking low and through the ball carrier.

I think some of it is an experience thing, some of it strength and a lot of it is these backs are either much faster or way stronger than they’ve been used to. They’re afraid of getting juked or getting run over. So when they approach they’re thinking instead of just letting it fly.

Reaction Score
After the game they said that UConn has allowed at least 40 points and 500 yards in every game this season. Just think about that.

I will give the studio guy some credit because he did follow it up by saying that we need to keep in mind that 11 players on D are frosh or soph.

However, 40+ and 500+ yards a game....Just astounding....

The defensive numbers are unfathomable.

UCF - 56 pts, 652 ttl yds
Boise - 62 pts, 818 ttl yds
URI - 49 pts, 550 ttl yds
Syracuse - 51 pts, 636 ttl yds
Cincy - 49 pts, 659 ttl yds
Memphis - 55 pts, 634 ttl yds

So we're holding steady at an average of 53.6 pts/game and 658 yds/game. And all these games (except URI) had the opponent take the foot off the gas pedal 4th qtr or earlier.

In 6 games we've forced 13 punts for 14 total return yds.

Granted that most of those teams are pretty good, but yes - it's bad. Very bad. Historically bad. It can't continue like this into next season, even into the latter half of this season. There has to be signs of improvement and we've yet to see it. After USF the schedule lightens up so the D will at least be facing opponents that shouldn't totally overwhelm them, so there's hope that they can at least look competent.

This statement from Putterman's column concerned me though:

"Several Huskies said Saturday that five blowout losses have players discouraged. Fortt said some seem to have “given up,” while running back Zavier Scott suggested UConn must learn to be more resilient."

These guys have more games to play. No question it's been demoralizing to say the least but they need to stay with it and keep battling, keep working, keep improving. Build on the little things and get better.

Reaction Score

So we're holding steady at an average of 53.6 pts/game and 658 yds/game. And all these games (except URI) had the opponent take the foot off the gas pedal 4th qtr or earlier.

In 6 games we've forced 13 punts for 14 total return yds.

Granted that most of those teams are pretty good, but yes - it's bad. Very bad. Historically bad. It can't continue like this into next season, even into the latter half of this season. There has to be signs of improvement and we've yet to see it. After USF the schedule lightens up so the D will at least be facing opponents that shouldn't totally overwhelm them, so there's hope that they can at least look competent.

This statement from Putterman's column concerned me though:

"Several Huskies said Saturday that five blowout losses have players discouraged. Fortt said some seem to have “given up,” while running back Zavier Scott suggested UConn must learn to be more resilient."

These guys have more games to play. No question it's been demoralizing to say the least but they need to stay with it and keep battling, keep working, keep improving. Build on the little things and get better.
posted this a few weeks back. Are these young players "benefiting" from this experience. Everyone talks about game reps, but I worry these kids are simply going to be demoralized to the point of wondering do they bounce back mentally.

I started a thread about loafing while the play is live last week. There are some very troubling signs that do not seem to be getting better with reps. It is one thing to be totally outgunned physically. It's another thing to watch kids let up and at times shy away from attempting to tackle. The latter is 100 percent on the coaching these kids are getting. Whatever message they're getting, it's not working.

Reaction Score
Without doing the math. I think opponents score a TD on 80% of their possessions.

It's hard to do that against air.

Reaction Score
Whatever message they're getting, it's not working.

The message they should be getting puts coaches on the front page of newspapers these days.;)

Edsall readily admits - the messaging isn’t working. When it’s the same message week after week it becomes Charlie Brown teacher noise. Position coaches are closest to the kids - they have to figure out what hits home.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
I'm going with the comments of HCRE. In most cases, the players were coached correctly. They were in the right place to make a play. But we're just not big enough, strong enough, or fast enough to get it done. IMHO, we have Division II or Division III athletes.

I don't like to criticize, because I know the guys playing are doing it better than I could have done when I was their age.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score

Here are URI's offensive numbers this year:

@ Delaware, 330 yards, 21 points
vs Albany, 400 yards, 45 points
@ UConn 550 yards, 49 points
@ Harvard, 216 yards, 23 points
vs Brown, 580 yards, 48 points

More time will tell the full story, and URI took their foot off the gas against Brown and Albany while giving us everything they had. But we are clearly a mediocre-to-poor FCS defense right now.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Saddest comment from the color guy yesterday: "Hey! They forced a punt!"

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Here are URI's offensive numbers this year:

@ Delaware, 330 yards, 21 points
vs Albany, 400 yards, 45 points
@ UConn 550 yards, 49 points
@ Harvard, 216 yards, 23 points
vs Brown, 580 yards, 48 points

More time will tell the full story, and URI took their foot off the gas against Brown and Albany while giving us everything they had. But we are clearly a mediocre-to-poor FCS defense right now.

This is the point I tried to make in the game thread. This isn’t just lack of talent. Something is very wrong. Player makes the right read and gets to a ball carrier to stop him for a short gain and instead it’s a long TD run.

Very few FCS teams would be as bad as we are now. It looks like they aren’t even trying. Like they just want the game to be over as soon as it starts. Put walk ons in, anybody who wants to be there. This “experience” is now doing more harm than good for these players.

Reaction Score
I'm going with the comments of HCRE. In most cases, the players were coached correctly. They were in the right place to make a play. But we're just not big enough, strong enough, or fast enough to get it done. IMHO, we have Division II or Division III athletes.

I don't like to criticize, because I know the guys playing are doing it better than I could have done when I was their age.

Edsall is spewing complete nonsense. Wide receivers and tight ends are running completely free. The defense almost never sets the edge. Holes are three players wide. This is a complete collapse of the scheme exacerbated by awful tackling.

Reaction Score
It sure seemed like Memphis could run off tackle on any play and have the DL contained inside by OL blocking and a TE blocking our LB and have no one touch the runner until a safety/CB came across. Rather than LB's running in to cover caps near line of scrimmage they are so far back that runner gets to go one on one with them rather than still maneuvering to avoid DL guys. Essentially, rather than a combined DL/LB 7 man front to evade it is avoid 4 DL, get into space and then avoid 1 LB and on your way. LB's have to get to line of scrimmage and cover gaps before runner gets to turn up field, LB's hang back and are sitting ducks for any cut/fake.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom