CW more aggressive | The Boneyard

CW more aggressive

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Christyn played with a tremendous level of confidence tonight. In addition to burying five 3’s, she is beginning to demonstrate her ability to put the ball on the floor to get to her spot on the court and get her shot. Even at this early point in the season, Christyn may already be UConn’s best one-on-one player. She still has a bunch of work to do to improve her footwork on defense, but with the ball in her hands Christyn is special to watch.

Last edited:

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Christyn had an excellent game. She continues to allow the game to come to her. I like the way she difts to the corner and awaits the pass. Then she sets and bingo! We've seen KML and Lou do it over the years. The offense lends itself to those open threes from the corner. More is to come!

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Who won the game and what was the score?

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
They did look very good. The announcers thought they looked VERY good. They were a little overboard, maybe ("[ONO] could start for any other team in the country," etc.)

Best quote from one of the announcers was "Purdue was paying for the sins of St. Johns." Or, St. Johns made it difficult for UConn and now UConn takes its frustration out on the next opponent.

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
Christyn played with a tremendous level of confidence tonight. In addition to burying five 3’s, she is beginning to demonstrate her ability to put the ball on the floor to get to her spot on the court and get her shot. Even at this early point in the season, Christyn may already be UConn’s best one-on-one player. She still has a bunch of work to do to improve her footwork on defense, but with the ball in her hands Christyn is special to watch.

Agree entirely. She has the ball-handling and shooting skills to join Crystal for playmaking and also to create her own scoring opportunities. When she is fully in gear, savvy enough to know when to do that, she can join Crystal in setting up her teammates and making defenses take her seriously as a fourth offensive weapon. She did that tonight, particularly in the second half

Her defensive skills? Well that's another thing entirely. As you note, her footwork is very slow. She tends to lean with her feet glued to the floor instead of keeping her body weight centered by moving her feet first, which is something that Crystal also had to learn— and she did, making her able to move laterally with great balance. I think Christyn has the athletic ability, but has to get it into her head as an defensive absolute.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
She could if she shot as much as Mitchell did in a game.
Kelsey was 497 (per NCAA; I had seen 491 in an article) for 1,286. That's 38.6%. Kaleena was 398 for 890, for 44.7%. If KML had shot 44.7% on 1,286 shots, she would have made a whopping 575 threes. I still think KML was the best combo of volume and efficiency in 3-point shooting. Lou is not far behind her and may pass her. Apparently, it's a Mater Dei thing.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Geno pushing all of CW's buttons. :D:D:D

UConn women roll past Purdue 86-40 in Paradise Jam finale

As Samuelson and Collier were pushing the Huskies’ lead higher and higher in the third quarter, with the help of Crystal Dangerfield and Megan Walker, Williams was preparing to take over for the seniors. She’d had a rough first half, starting slow and making a few mistakes that prompted Auriemma to scold her on the sidelines. He was frustrated, he said, because she still wasn’t grasping a concept they’d practiced the past two days.

The stern talk worked. Williams, who also played 40 minutes the night before, went off in the second half. She scored 12 points to bring her final stat line to 17 points and 3 rebounds. She drained four 3-pointers in the second half, two on consecutive possessions, to end the night with five threes.

“I got really mad at her during the game and she did exactly what I knew she would do,” Auriemma said. “She got this look on her face like she wanted to punch me, and I knew someone was going to pay for that. I knew it wasn’t going to be me, it was going to be somebody out on the court.

“She’s really a tough, tough kid and a tremendous competitor. I knew once she decided to get involved defensively that it was going to be not just a bucket or a couple buckets here and there, it was going to be a bunch. And that’s who she is. That’s who she was in high school and that’s who we recruited, that kid right there that you saw tonight.”

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom