CW in WNBA? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

CW in WNBA?

Reaction Score
Top 5 pick. One of the only players sure to stick with the team that drafts them based on reputation and potential alone.

Reaction Score
Her best shot is a female version of Marcus Smart. She has a great engine and can play some D. She can run and on some teams that is very important. There is a role for all of that.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Crystal Dangerfield had a breakout year when she went to the WNBA ~ maybe Christyn will too, I hope so anyway.
Exactly… with Geno they must play in a system but in the W they’re able to freestyle and this is where CWill can excel just as Tiffany has done.

Reaction Score
Lou was considered a very good 3-pt shooter in college and has somewhat struggled with her 3pt shot in the pro, 28%, 32%, 35% in her first 3 years in the WNBA and CW is not in the same league as Lou as a 3pt threat.
not only that she struggles and not consistent

Reaction Score
CW usually gets the ball high above the key, often with little time remaining on shot clock. In the pros, likely she will have more picks and and ability to take shots from predictable spots. She is strong, fast, and could be a player that excels more in pros.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Christyn will have a lot more room to operate in the pros. She’s pretty good now, but I think she’ll be one of those players who might just be better at the next level.

Reaction Score
I believe CW may go middle to late first round and will be the third Connecticut player picked if Olivia continues to play well. EW is going to do great things for her draft status in the coming weeks. My only concern for EW is her physical health. Gino would be smart to manage her playing time very carefully. For CW offensive consistency is going to make or break her career we have seen her be special and also disappear. If her offense is good not necessarily great the rest of her game makes her a quality player someone who should contribute at the next level. She may never become a star But so few do. Always hoping good things come to Connecticut alumni.

sun

Reaction Score
I didn't know that CW had elbow surgery in July, 2021.

I'm sure that there's plenty of advanced analytics being done to assess every player in the WNBA draft.
There's charts on the page below showing the difference in the rookie pay scales for 2020 - 2027 that depend on their draft position.

Reaction Score
I’ve never understood why players (not all) don’t seem to work on specific things that would really improve their game? For example; Aubrey, Liv, and Christyn. Why would Liv not learn a hook shot? Why would Christyn not go to a shooting guru and try to become a more consistent shooter? Ditto, Aubrey! Now perhaps Liv and Christyn did get specific coaching and I just don’t know about it but if they did, it sure hasn’t shown in their game! I’ve never seen Liv even attempt a hook shot, and Christyn continues to have such an erratic set up and release that it seems doubtful she will ever be a consistent shooter. Aubrey, I think, could still improve tremendously if she can just get her body healthy. Prayers and best wishes to all three as they have been classy, hardworking contributors to their team!

Free throws are another puzzle for me! Perhaps someone out there who knows more about them than I do could help me here? I remember hearing the HoFer Rick Barry swear he could teach anyone to shoot 75%+ on free throws. However, apparently no one will go to him because he teaches the old-fashioned, underhand method and players are afraid of being ridiculed. Those of you who coached or played, is that true?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I wonder if CW has taken a ball out on a Werth court on her own? We tend to hear that kind of info only by happenstance. I reject the notion that her weaknesses can't be improved although the time for that in college may have come and gone.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
NOt only is she not really a good 3pt shooter, but she is a streak shooter as well. She will have a really good game and then just disappear for a while. Some people seem to take that hot shooting game as a gage for the level of player they percieve and expect her to be. You are never really as good as your best game nor as bad as your worse. Consistency counts more. And as has been stated you do not magically become a good three point shooter at this point in time.

Her level of success on the court took a huge drop between high school and college and I suspect the same thing will repeat itself from college to the pro's. Geno is just blowing smoke to build up her value in the draft. Playing for UConn has worked to players advantage before in the past where reputation got players drafted high.

The WNBA is funny in that perception counts more than reality so getting drafted high is everything. Players do not have the time in preseason to prove themselves one way or the other. Geno blowing smoke may count for something in that regard. But realistically she pretty much hit her ceiling last season by getting in the best shape of her life. But her skill set will not translate to the next level just as it did not do from high school to college.

As I stated before, the WNBA does not really do their own scouting preferring to rely on PR so it might be possible that some team over drafts her and because of that she might be kept on the roster for a time. But a lot has to fall into place for that to happen. Teams seem to be more willing to cut even first round picks. There just are not that many roster spots available to keep potential developmental players around. That is unless the GM is a person who knows diddly about WBB like the Aces GM.
UConn grads are still coveted by WNBA coaches. I heartily agree that she’ll have to dispense with the magic tricks. Magicians are not allowed to perform in the W.

Reaction Score
Lou was considered a very good 3-pt shooter in college and has somewhat struggled with her 3pt shot in the pro, 28%, 32%, 35% in her first 3 years in the WNBA and CW is not in the same league as Lou as a 3pt threat.

not only that she struggles and not consistent
Lou has struggled with her shot beginning with her senior season. For some ridiculous reason she (or someone advising her) felt she needed to shoot faster. As a result, she wasn't setting her feet, squaring her shoulders and shooting in rhythm. It's been pretty much the same throughout her pro career. She was drafted by a team (Chicago) who had no plans to use her. Then she was traded to Dallas and had to play with the biggest ball hog in the WNBA (Arike Ogunbowale) and her former Notre Dame running mate (Marina Mabrey). She rarely saw the ball. She played well in Europe, but not really great. Then she was traded to Seattle and the chance to play with Stewie again. However, she got snake bite again. She was beginning to really contribute, but had to leave the team to workout with her 3 on 3 Olympic team. Unfortunately, as the team was ready to leave for Tokyo, she was informed she tested positive for COVID. When she was able to return to the Storm, she wasn't the same. She should have represented her Country and helped bring home a gold medal, but she didn't. Lots of excuses or just statements of reality? Depression is a hard battle to overcome. I hope she eventually does and has a great season next year. I loved watching her light 'em up!

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Do I think CW can make a WNBA team? yes.
Do I think she's good enough that she'll make a team, no matter where she's drafted? I don't right now.

tcno2fan

Tina Charles No. 2 Fan
Reaction Score
UConn grads are still coveted by WNBA coaches. I heartily agree that she’ll have to dispense with the magic tricks. Magicians are not allowed to perform in the W.
Cheryl Reeve in particular seems to have an affinity for UConn grads

Reaction Score
Will Reeve definitely isn't the front runner with former Huskies on her Minnesota roster. Last time I looked she has Collier and Dangerfield. Where as Phoenix has Taurasi, Hartley, Nurse, and Walker. While coach Quinn of the Seattle has Bird, Stewart, and Samuelson.

Reaction Score
She'll have the same success at the next level as Megan Walker did this past year...CW is average at best in shooting, creating her own shot, and defense. Her biggest weakness is her inconsistency. I cant honestly say she's a better player today than she was in her freshman year. She just doesnt have a high basketball IQ - makes the same mistakes, lots of standing around, lack of confidence, cant "slow the game down", etc. Whatever it is, if she cant make a jump to another level at the college level, what confidence will a GM have she will do it in a very competitive WNBA?

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Cheryl Reeve has always struck me as a no-nonsense professional coach who values a player to has been well trained in the basics (both from an individual and collective perspective) and -- this is what sticks with me -- continues to work on her craft to expand said perspectives.

UConn, with Collier and Dangerfield currently on the roster, has a number of alums that fit this description.

So does Notre Dame, with Natalie Achonwa, Kayla McBride and Jessica Shepard, also on the Lynx roster.

Throw in players like Layshia Clarendon and Bridget Carleton and there's a trend.

To some degree, that's my question for Ms. Williams. Will she continue to work and improve, like Napheesa? Or seemingly flatten out as Meagan Walker has thus far done in the WNBA?

Reaction Score
I’ve never understood why players (not all) don’t seem to work on specific things that would really improve their game? For example; Aubrey, Liv, and Christyn. Why would Liv not learn a hook shot? Why would Christyn not go to a shooting guru and try to become a more consistent shooter? Ditto, Aubrey! Now perhaps Liv and Christyn did get specific coaching and I just don’t know about it but if they did, it sure hasn’t shown in their game! I’ve never seen Liv even attempt a hook shot, and Christyn continues to have such an erratic set up and release that it seems doubtful she will ever be a consistent shooter. Aubrey, I think, could still improve tremendously if she can just get her body healthy. Prayers and best wishes to all three as they have been classy, hardworking contributors to their team!

Free throws are another puzzle for me! Perhaps someone out there who knows more about them than I do could help me here? I remember hearing the HoFer Rick Barry swear he could teach anyone to shoot 75%+ on free throws. However, apparently no one will go to him because he teaches the old-fashioned, underhand method and players are afraid of being ridiculed. Those of you who coached or played, is that true?
Most of them could use a session with Herb Magee, the HOF coach at the former Philadelphia University (now Jefferson). He's nicknamed "The Shot Doctor"....look him up. Now that guy can shoot free throws with consistency.

Reaction Score
After watching UConn/CW play the last couple of years, I don't see her doing well in the WNBA...she has not come close to being the #1 rated player of her recruitment year. Her best skills (offensively) is driving to the basket, but in the WNBA the defense is really tough and I doubt her ability to get much better.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I know she wears glasses off the court. I am sure she wears contacts on but man some of her misses from three are way off. She seems to struggle catching hard passes cleanly. I am also guessing that the staff has explored this situation.
Try the same "goggles" that Fran Belibi of Stanford wears.

1639750848301.jpeg

They work for her. Maybe they would work for Christyn.

Reaction Score
I could be way wrong but I think Williams “thinks” too much on the court. Not uncommon and many times is a product of focusing on results rather than “just playing.”
I could never hit a baseball but had a fair amount of success as a private hitting instructor at the HS / Travel level in both baseball and softball. My initial instruction in both was you will never have success until you learn to relax and trust your ability, then we can start to work approaches and processes. Thinking kills!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom