CW in WNBA? | The Boneyard

CW in WNBA?

Reaction Score
I recently came across an interesting discussion on fivethirtyeight.com, on how several college seniors could improve their positions in the upcoming WNBA draft; it included this comment on Christyn Williams from Geno and analysis. Basically, the takeaway was that she needs to improve her 3-point shooting, so she becomes a consistent threat from 3.

“She’ll be playing someplace next year in the WNBA,” Auriemma said. “I don’t know where, I don’t know how much, but my guess is she will be. … But if she wants to get to that elite level, she’s got to become an elite shooter. That’d be my biggest thing.” CW in WNBA

=====================================
After the first 8 games, CW is shooting 30.0% on 3's (down from 34.3% last year), and despite playing more minutes, her scoring average (14.3) is down 2 points. So...?

Reaction Score
CW has never been a good 3-pt shooter in college (and possibly even in high school) so to expect her to magically become an elite shooter in the WNBA when she will have even less time to pull the trigger is asking for a miracle. Some of her miss makes you shake your head. She is good at driving to the basket in college, don't know how that will translate to the pros game.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
CW career # at Uconn is .348 up to this year - early she is shooting .300, but then Uconn in general has been struggling and the season isn't a quarter over. She and Westbrook (.347) are basically tied for their careers.

For a few examples: Hayes was at .360, Hartley at .350, and Montgomery at .339. .350 is a 'useful' range but doesn't point to a star turn in the W.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I wouldn't write Christyn's WNBA career off just yet. I can give you two examples of players that I thought would NEVER make the cut in the W, but did. Brionna Jones (Maryland/Connecticut Sun). She was slow and a little pudgy coming out of Maryland. I thought no way is she making the cut, but she did. She's had a makeover. She's put in work in the weight room BIG TIME. She's trimmed down and now has some definition on her arms. In a word, she's "cut". She runs the court faster now than she did in college. She plays much better now than she ever did in college.

Mercedes Russell (Tennessee/NY Liberty/Seattle Storm). Russell lost the better part of two seasons at Tennessee with foot problems (surgery) which dumb her 4 year growth and development. She was drafted 22nd overall in the 2018 WNBA Draft by New York. She was cut before the start of the season and picked up by Seattle. She's won 2 WNBA championships in 4 years. She started the year Breanna Stewart was injured. She's improved her game greatly over the past 4 WNBA seasons, and is now a valued member of the team.

There are many others that have improved AFTER they got into the W. These are the first two that came to mind. Christyn can improve at the next level IF she can make the cut. Most first round draft picks make the cut. Different coaches, a new environment and different expectations (she'll be getting paid) can do wonders for a player's development. My money is on her making a WNBA roster next year. ;)

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I think she could make a roster but I have a hard time seeing her lasting a long time in the league unless she improves her shot and can play more consistently. She can be great but she also has a tendency to disappear. She has a pro ready frame and is a good athlete. Just needs to find consistency.

Reaction Score
NOt only is she not really a good 3pt shooter, but she is a streak shooter as well. She will have a really good game and then just disappear for a while. Some people seem to take that hot shooting game as a gage for the level of player they percieve and expect her to be. You are never really as good as your best game nor as bad as your worse. Consistency counts more. And as has been stated you do not magically become a good three point shooter at this point in time.

Her level of success on the court took a huge drop between high school and college and I suspect the same thing will repeat itself from college to the pro's. Geno is just blowing smoke to build up her value in the draft. Playing for UConn has worked to players advantage before in the past where reputation got players drafted high.

The WNBA is funny in that perception counts more than reality so getting drafted high is everything. Players do not have the time in preseason to prove themselves one way or the other. Geno blowing smoke may count for something in that regard. But realistically she pretty much hit her ceiling last season by getting in the best shape of her life. But her skill set will not translate to the next level just as it did not do from high school to college.

As I stated before, the WNBA does not really do their own scouting preferring to rely on PR so it might be possible that some team over drafts her and because of that she might be kept on the roster for a time. But a lot has to fall into place for that to happen. Teams seem to be more willing to cut even first round picks. There just are not that many roster spots available to keep potential developmental players around. That is unless the GM is a person who knows diddly about WBB like the Aces GM.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I wouldn't write Christyn's WNBA career off just yet. I can give you two examples of players that I thought would NEVER make the cut in the W, but did. Brionna Jones (Maryland/Connecticut Sun). She was slow and a little pudgy coming out of Maryland. I thought no way is she making the cut, but she did. She's had a makeover. She's put in work in the weight room BIG TIME. She's trimmed down and now has some definition on her arms. In a word, she's "cut". She runs the court faster now than she did in college. She plays much better now than she ever did in college.

Mercedes Russell (Tennessee/NY Liberty/Seattle Storm). Russell lost the better part of two seasons at Tennessee with foot problems (surgery) which dumb her 4 year growth and development. She was drafted 22nd overall in the 2018 WNBA Draft by New York. She was cut before the start of the season and picked up by Seattle. She's won 2 WNBA championships in 4 years. She started the year Breanna Stewart was injured. She's improved her game greatly over the past 4 WNBA seasons, and is now a valued member of the team.

There are many others that have improved AFTER they got into the W. These are the first two that came to mind. Christyn can improve at the next level IF she can make the cut. Most first round draft picks make the cut. Different coaches, a new environment and different expectations (she'll be getting paid) can do wonders for a player's development. My money is on her making a WNBA roster next year. ;)

Jones surprised me based on her size and body type. Big bruising posts don't usually thrive in the league, since the league typically prioritizes speed and athleticism.

Mercedes Russell doesn't surprise me though--she was 6-6 with good coordination and had a solid frame entering the pros. She had the tools to be a good post player but wasn't pushed hard at Tennessee. I'm glad to see she's found success after a somewhat underwhelming collegiate career.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

MR was 6' 7" I think with a pro body so she had multiple years to find the right team that allowed her to improve.
and I actually thought BJ was good enough to do well in the WNBA after seeing how difficult she was for Breanna Stewart to guard. Not sure what will happen with CW. Even good college shooters can have issues in the WNBA. Megan Walker comes to mind but than Dallas is not a great team to develop

Carnac

Reaction Score
MR was 6' 7" I think with a pro body so she had multiple years to find the right team that allowed her to improve.
and I actually thought BJ was good enough to do well in the WNBA after seeing how difficult she was for Breanna Stewart to guard. Not sure what will happen with CW. Even good college shooters can have issues in the WNBA. Megan Walker comes to mind but than Dallas is not a great team to develop
First overall WNBA pick last year Charli Collier (Texas) began the season in the starting lineup. By season's end, she had been banished to the end of the bench. I watched the WNBA playoffs. I don't remember seeing her on the floor in any of their post season games. I looked up her stats to be sure, there weren't any. I was right.

Reaction Score
On offense she basically has two moves: launch an air ball from 3, or take the ball and try to dribble around a bunch of defenders in the lane and maybe get lucky that you can get a shot up that doesn't get blocked or you get fouled. That's not going to cut it in pro leagues.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
First overall pick last year Charli Collier (Texas) began the season in the starting lineup. By the end of the season, she couldn't get off the bench. I watched the WNBA playoffs. I don't remember seeing her on the floor in any of their post season games. I looked up her stats for the post season, there weren't any, I was right.
I could have predicted that since she always put up good stats against smaller posts but was usually stoned against a bigger center. And more than just about any player, she really got frustrated when things did not start out well. I assume she will have few more seasons to get going. Is she playing internationally?

Reaction Score
I recently came across an interesting discussion on fivethirtyeight.com, on how several college seniors could improve their positions in the upcoming WNBA draft; it included this comment on Christyn Williams from Geno and analysis. Basically, the takeaway was that she needs to improve her 3-point shooting, so she becomes a consistent threat from 3.

“She’ll be playing someplace next year in the WNBA,” Auriemma said. “I don’t know where, I don’t know how much, but my guess is she will be. … But if she wants to get to that elite level, she’s got to become an elite shooter. That’d be my biggest thing.” CW in WNBA

After the first 8 games, CW is shooting 30.0% on 3's (down from 34.3% last year), and despite playing more minutes, her scoring average (14.3) is down 2 points. So...?

First overall WNBA pick last year Charli Collier (Texas) began the season in the starting lineup. By season's end, she had been banished to the end of the bench. I watched the WNBA playoffs. I don't remember seeing her on the floor in any of their post season games. I looked up her stats to be sure, there weren't any. I was right.
Playing for Vic, is not a recipe for success in the WNBA. His players are underwhelming when they get to the WNBA.

Reaction Score
Lou was considered a very good 3-pt shooter in college and has somewhat struggled with her 3pt shot in the pro, 28%, 32%, 35% in her first 3 years in the WNBA and CW is not in the same league as Lou as a 3pt threat.

Carnac

Reaction Score

Correction: a spelling correction my phone made that I didn’t catch. I did not use the word “dumb”. The sentence should read: …..with foot problems (surgery) which slowed her basketball growth and development. It tried to do it again. Used another word instead.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

her scoring average will go up as soon as she starts playing Big East games...........she can defend, she's quick enough, can handle the ball and drive well enough........it's all about her shooting consistency..........unfortunately that hasn't changed since she came to Storrs...........hopefully it's not too late!!

Reaction Score
There is no way of accurately predicting how athletes will perform as they move from high school to college and then to the pros. Some continue to grow. Some plateau. Some regress. CW is trying as hard as she can…. maybe to hard and that’s why she throws up some shots that wind up in the cheap seats. I don’t know what the future has in store for her but she is leaving it all out there right now and I appreciate her effort.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
A pretty unfavorable time to be asking this question, given her performance of late. But she does have another 3+ months to make it better.

Crystal Dangerfield had a breakout year when she went to the WNBA ~ maybe Christyn will too, I hope so anyway.
In view of the foregoing timeline, here's to hoping Christyn's "breakout year" begins in the first quarter of 2022, not later.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
CW has a couple of traits that make me think she is a marginal WNBA prosp to ect. She has a pro body and athleticism, but is a SG who isn't that good a shooter. It is not just her 3pt percentage because her FT% also suggests she is just not a good shooter, certainly for a WNBA SG.

In addition she is pretty much a one position player. She has no point guard skills and doesn't appear to rebound well enough (WNBA standards) t could make her a less valuable prospecto play much at the SF. That lack of position versatility could make her less valuable than Evina for example.

Neither is likely to be a regular starter, but Evina could play three positions for a WNBA team and might be more likely to stick past a couple of years.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
A pretty unfavorable time to be asking this question, given her performance of late. But she does have another 3+ months to make it better.

In view of the foregoing timeline, here's to hoping Christyn's "breakout year" begins in the first quarter of 2022, not later.
Is not the first quarter of 2021 over? I'm asking because I really don't know.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Is not the first quarter of 2021 over? I'm asking because I really don't know.
Corrected the number just prior to your reply. Thanks for the vigilance, though.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
I know she wears glasses off the court. I am sure she wears contacts on but man some of her misses from three are way off. She seems to struggle catching hard passes cleanly. I am also guessing that the staff has explored this situation.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom