CW and ONO Say Bring It On For Gold | The Boneyard

CW and ONO Say Bring It On For Gold

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
cut.JPG

Williams, Nelson-Ododa ready to go for gold

"As the two University of Connecticut freshmen return to the United States Olympic Training Center to begin final preparations on Friday for the 2018 FIBA Americas Championship that will be played Aug. 1-7 in Mexico City, they are different players now from what they were in May. It will be the first chance to see the progress they made during the five-week summer session they spent in Storrs.

"There was an incredible difference to anything I've done," Nelson-Ododa said. "There's this expectation at UConn to perform at a certain level and it's more than I've ever done. There are so many things I've had to learn. It was an incredible experience."

I'm loving that!

"The 5-foot-11 guard from Little Rock, Arkansas, had junior Crystal Dangerfield -- her teammate with last year's U-19 club -- as a roommate during the UConn summer session.

"I've been thrown into the perspective of a junior," Williams said. "It was a shock at first, but I feel like I have acclimated well. There is definitely a difference. College is a faster pace. It is intense. We go 110 percent every workout, every drill. But I'm excited because I feel like I am getting a lot better this summer."

Ditto!
"

Last edited:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I will be really curious to see how they perform this coming season at UCONN...

Serious question - did Meg not have any access to the same opportunities that CW and ONO have had? By all accounts Meg had an incredibly hard season where she often failed to meet coaches expectations, and performed less than I think most thought.

I realize it's hard to compare because we don't have the sample of CW and ONO having completed their freshman seasons, but it seems like they are being much more prepared than Meg was for season 1 at UCONN. I'm sure this will get revisited as we get towards the end of next season...

Reaction Score
I will be really curious to see how they perform this coming season at UCONN...

Serious question - did Meg not have any access to the same opportunities that CW and ONO have had? By all accounts Meg had an incredibly hard season where she often failed to meet coaches expectations, and performed less than I think most thought.

I realize it's hard to compare because we don't have the sample of CW and ONO having completed their freshman seasons, but it seems like they are being much more prepared than Meg was for season 1 at UCONN. I'm sure this will get revisited as we get towards the end of next season...
You just seemingly said what I've been trying to say for awhile. It too seems to me that CW and Ono are further along and more prepared than MW. Yes, we don't and won't really know that until the end of this season.
But if it is true, my only question is why is that? Yes, every person and player develops at a different pace.
And while CW and Ono are very needed this year, I believe MW was last year, to fill that important needed 7th spot!
Bronx23

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
"The 5-foot-11 guard from Little Rock, Arkansas, had junior Crystal Dangerfield -- her teammate with last year's U-19 club -- as a roommate during the UConn summer session. Wow.................what a coincidence........... NOT!!

I'm sure CD was mentoring her, and pouring into her the entire 5 weeks. No doubt cautioning her to not make the same mistakes she made during her freshman year. I can't wait to see those two on the floor at the same time. :rolleyes: Think a team will have the "stones" to press UConn this year while they're both in the game? :eek:

Reaction Score
There are a variety of levels of preparedness to handle the speed, size, skill, etc of the college player / team vs. the HS level. Every player experiences this and the so-called "punch in the mouth" or the "pressure when the bell rings". So the first issue is how well prepared is each person / player.
Then is the question of how one adapts, reacts, re-focuses to being punched or the pressure. And how long it takes to do so.
I personally think we are going to see some similarities and some noticible differences looking only specifically at MW's, CW's and Ono's.
Some here make it seem like everyone has the same problems and issues with this and takes the same or similar time to react and "punch back". "It happens to every freshman".
I'd like to suggest one needs to look at each player individually and objectively analyze and understand each players process. Why? How? When? What?
As always time will tell!
Let's watch, analyze and evaluate!
Bronx23

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Sort of the basketball corollary to "everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth".

I'm sure Walker thought she was prepared, too.
Again, I think it was more succinctly said by Sun-Tzu who said, "No plan survives first contact with the enemy". November 28, Depaul, December 2, ND. They'll see then, no doubt.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
You just seemingly said what I've been trying to say for awhile. It too seems to me that CW and Ono are further along and more prepared than MW. Yes, we don't and won't really know that until the end of this season.
But if it is true, my only question is why is that? Yes, every person and player develops at a different pace.
And while CW and Ono are very needed this year, I believe MW was last year, to fill that important needed 7th spot!
Bronx23
I think we had a more upper-classman depth last year. I think the freshman were confident and the coaches gave them more time to find their feet. I suspect that there has been a coaching adjustment due to the pace of the frosh development last year and due to need. CW and ONO may be pushed a bit more. I also think that some kids embrace pressure and challenges more than others.

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
Sort of the basketball corollary to "everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth".

I'm sure Walker thought she was prepared, too.

I'm familiar with that "everybody has a plan" statement. Iron Mike Tyson uttered that phrase before one of his fights. With respect to incoming freshmen, Geno's practices either builds character, or reveals it.

That's precisely what we're all waiting to see.
We're betting they're a couple of "Timex" watches. You remember what is said about a Timex? It can take a " licking" and keep on ticking ". If we're wrong, we won't go into hiding. We'll still be here, ready to eat some crow if necessary.

Last edited by a moderator:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I'm familiar with that saying. Iron Mike Tyson uttered that phrase before one of his fights. With respect to incoming freshmen, Geno's practices either builds character, or reveals it.

That's precisely what we're all waiting to see.
We're betting they're a couple of "Timex" watches. You remember what is said about a Timex? It can take a " licking" and keep on ticking ". If we're wrong, we won't go into hiding. We'll still be here, ready to eat some crow if necessary.

Carnac

Reaction Score
It's almost hard to believe, but it's already the end of July. Time has long strides my friend.

The freshmen will have about 45 days after they return to school before practice begins. It's the duty and responsibility of their teammates to tell them everything that's going to happen that first month of practice, and help them prepare for it.

Fore warned is fore armed. Crystal should be in both of the freshmen's ears, explaining in graphic detail everything that they are going to see and experience to insure they don't make the same mistakes she did. Camp Geno has never been freshman friendly. That first practice will be the worst of the season for them. They'll survive. They'll get through it. Camp Geno is tough, but, it hasn't suffered any fatalities yet.

Even though someone tells you about it, it's something you have to experience for yourself to really appreciate the camp's rugged curriculum and application.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Bring the pain.

You got it Jordy!!! No pain, no gain. The pain, sacrifices and hard work put in now will pay off in the days, weeks and months to come. "They're going to feel UConn". ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom